- Text Size +

The Green Eyed Monster

In Targard, there was a long held belief that the appearance of a fairie dragon in or around one’s property was an indicator of wealth and good fortune to follow. Known to have the ability ferret out and collect items of value especially gems and jewels, usually deposited in a nest, made the creatures coveted by property owners hoping to locate the nest. Conversely, it was believed killing the tiny creatures would bring misfortune and economic ruin.

Alexa had witnessed the little dragon going to and from the carriage house, and she believed perhaps that was where the little beast had created its lair. She didn’t know why the little monstrosity had attached itself to stupid Ivy. It should have been her pet, but every time she even tried to get close to it, the monster would snarl and hiss at her. Once it already blew a ball of fire in her direction.

If she could uncover the location of its nest, she could take whatever treasures she found there and mother would have no reason not to see the thing destroyed. Plus, she knew it would probably make Ivy cry.

It wasn’t so much that she hated the other girl, it was simply a matter of competition. Firstly, with the war having wreaked a terrible toll on the male side of the populace, there were very few decent men of marriageable age available, secondly, while both were young and of good lineage, possessed of features said to be comely, there was only enough money in the family coffers to provide a suitable dowry for one of them. The last thing Alexa wanted was to be wed to some lowly farmer or petty land owner when she should be wed to a member of the court. Fortunately now, with Ivy’s father not returned from the war, it was looking more and more like Alexa would be the one to whom the dowry would go. As far as Alexa was concerned, Ivy could remain a spinster, a scullery maid, or the brood mare for a pig farmer.

While Ivy was attending to the mess Alexa had manufactured in the kitchen, Alexa wrapped a shawl across her shoulders and fetched one of the hooded lanterns, heading out into the fading daylight and going over to the carriage house.

Pulling open one of the wide wooden doors, “Where would a little dragon hide its nest?” she asked to herself, trying to decide where to start looking.

The smell inside the carriage house was musty and she wrinkled her nose at the closeness of the air. Stepping inside, she pulled the door most of the way closed behind her, lifting the light to her shoulder height.

She paused, chastising herself for not bringing a knife or something with which to defend herself should she find not only the nest, but the little dragon settled upon it. Shrugging, she consoled herself with the knowledge that if she did find the nest, she could always wait for the dragon to leave and then she could come back and clean it out.

Looking at all of the furniture and other items stored in the carriage house and covered in cloth, both on the lower floor and up in the loft, she didn’t know why they bothered to keep these things, most of which, if not all had come through Ivy’s mother’s side of the family when they could simply sell them and add to Alexa’s dowry. They were just sitting there. It was stupid. Especially if Ivy wound up with some lowly husband, how on earth would she be able to use such things? They would almost certainly go to waste. Again, with her stepfather out of the way, Alexa could make the suggestion to her mother that they try and auction them off sooner than later to get some money for them before they lost all their value completely.

She smiled to herself, imagining what the look on Ivy’s face would be when carted away all of her mother’s garbage so Alexa could secure a better husband. She would be devastated. Of course Alexa wouldn’t be completely heartless, if Ivy was unable to find a man of her own, particularly given their scarcity, Alexa would get her own husband to bring Ivy into their household as a chamber or kitchen maid, something menial.

Moving beside the old coach, the hem of her skirt trailing through the dust on the floor kicking up a small cloud as she passed, she shone the light deeper in the darkening gloom of the space.

The little beast could fly, so chances are, it would probably nest higher up, on the loft, to avoid any earthbound predators. She wasn’t properly dressed for climbing, but she made her way over to the base of the ladder leading up to the loft. Frowning, she reached out and took ahold of an intricately braided strand linen dangling down, rolling the material between the thumb and forefinger of her left hand.

“What is this? Why is it here?” she asked out loud, puzzled expression on her face. Pulling on it, she discovered it was tethered at the top of the ladder. Yanking it with some force, she was surprised at how durable the little strand was as it held fast.

Shaking her head, she pursed her lips. Obviously Ivy must have put it here, but why? What possible purpose could it serve? Was it a trap or something she put in place to alert her if someone came up the ladder? She hadn’t seen it earlier when she peeked in the carriage house, but then again she only poked her in.

She was trying to figure out how she could climb up the ladder and carry the lantern at the same time when the purpose of the little rope dawned on her. She could tie it around the handle of the lantern, climb up, and then draw the lantern up after with the rope.

She chuckled and shook her head. Bending down, she looped the end of the rope around the metal handle and tied it off.

Straightening up, she looked up, putting her hands on a rung overhead and lifting her foot onto another. That’s when she saw the little face atop the landing looking down at her.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please feel free to share a review, leave some feedback, or drop a comment. It is always helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this tale!