- Text Size +

Supper

Daffyd and Ivy were still in the kitchen when they heard the voice of Alexa bellow, “Mother’s home,” followed by approaching footsteps.

Ivy looked panicked, “I’m going to need to hide you again,” she whispered, though to him, it still seemed pretty loud.

He looked at her tight fitting bodice, and she hastily plucked him off the counter, stuffing him thither as Alexa appeared.

“Is supper ready?” she demanded.

Twisting in his confinement, Daffyd this time was able to peer out between two buttons in Ivy’s bodice allowing him to glimpse the other giant woman.

She seemed similar in height and age to Ivy, pretty face framed by long dark locks possessed of a slight curl. She stood with hands on hips, face stern.

“It should be shortly,” Ivy replied.

Alexa nodded, “Then get the table set,” she instructed, coming over to stew pot to glance inside before taking a spoonful to taste.

Bobbing her head, Ivy moved, grabbing three wooden bowl and spoons before moving into the dining room. She was standing near the table when another woman walked in, this one more mature than either of the girls, it was easy to see the resemblance between this woman and Alexa, their features similar.

“Ivy,” the woman greeted plainly, face remote and without emotion.

“Stepmother,” Ivy addressed, looking up from after make a place setting.

“I trust dinner is ready?” she said, taking the seat at the head of the table.

“I’ve made some stew for tonight mother,” Alexa announced, appearing in the room carrying the pot and a ladle.

Ivy glanced up at the other girl but didn’t challenged, instead, offering, “There are some fresh rolls and butter as well,” she said.

The woman identified as Ivy’s stepmother flicked a hand, “Fetch them child,” she instructed, while Alexa scooped out a helping for her mother.

“Ivy’s flying rat has been in the carriage house again,” Alexa stated, tone scornful as she spooned a portion into her bowl.

Ivy returned with the rolls.

There was a pause as her stepmother held Ivy in her steely gaze, “What have I told you about that little pet of yours?” she said icily.

“You said if I did not properly look after it and make sure it didn’t cause any mischief, you would drown it,” Ivy answered meekly, not making eye contact as she collected the stew pot to get a measure for herself.

The mature woman nodded. Alexa turned her head and smirked at Ivy.

“Yes stepmother, I will check the carriage house after supper,” Ivy assured, sitting at her chair and pouring some stew into her bowl.

 “If I discover there is something amiss in the carriage house, I will see my threat carried out,” she asserted, shaking her spoon toward Ivy.

 Daffyd frowned, taking an immediate dislike to how the other two were treating Ivy.

“What news from the city?” Alexa asked, shoveling a spoonful of stew into her mouth.

“Only that taxes will be increased again to defray the cost of the war,” the older woman replied sourly, “As if we have not bled enough.” Her mood was sour.

Ivy kept her eyes down, eating quietly, knowing better than to speak when her stepmother disposition was thus.

Alexa too remained silent.

When the meal was finished, Ivy cleared the table.

Back in the kitchen, she drew the tiny youth out of her bodice, smiling down at him, giving him a half spoon of stew and a tiny portion of bread.

He hadn’t realized how hungry he had been, “They do not treat you very well. Your stepsister lied about the stew,” he said, straightening his clothes and lowering himself to get at the food.

Ivy shrugged and shook her head, “If I were to tell, she would only make trouble for me in some other way. She really doesn’t like Ella but she hasn’t been able to catch her yet,” she said.

“How is it that you have a dragon for a pet?” Daffyd asked around a mouthful of food, curious.

“Ella? No, pet is not the right word for her, though I did find her when she was just tiny, perhaps only few times bigger than you are now, though she has grown very rapidly in the fortnight she’s been with me. She is a wild creature though she seems to have bonded with me. I don’t control here, she comes and goes as she chooses,” Ivy answered with a grin, getting water ready to wash the dishes.

 “Why do you think she would she bring me here?” he inquired, dunking his bread into the savory stew and biting it.

Ivy shrugged, “Perhaps to play with? I cannot say for sure. The last time she brought something back it was a mouse and well,” she paused, leaving the rest unsaid.

“Well?” he asked, pausing, not liking the implication.

Ivy lowered her eyes, shook her head and pursed her mouth.

He swallowed hard.

She grinned, “Don’t worry, I’ll tell her not to scorch or eat you,” she assured.

He nodded slowly, “I think I would very much appreciate that,” he said.

When the water started to boil, Ivy cautioned him to remain back as she poured it into a basin, steaming spilling out.

Having eaten his fill, he rubbed his full stomach, “You are a much better cook than I,” he conceded as she began washing the dishes.

Looking down at him, she smiled, “You like it?” she asked.

“Very tasty,” he replied, smiling back up at her and nodding his approval.

“I,” she started, but interrupted as Alexa stepped into the room.

“Who were you talking to?” questioned the darker haired girl.

“No one,” Ivy stammered back, turning to face her stepsister and interposing herself between her and Daffyd.

Alexa’s eyes narrowed, “I heard you talking to someone,” she asserted.

Ivy shook her head, “I was simply reciting a list of the things I still need to do tonight,” she replied.

Nodding, Alexa moved near the counter and slowly pushed the stew pot over, spilling the contents across the floor. “Like cleaning that up,” she chortled.

“What was that noise?” challenged Ivy’s stepmother’s voice from the other room.

“Ivy knocked the stew pot off the counter,” Alexa tattled.

“Well make sure it’s cleaned up, I don’t want any more vermin in my house,” instructed the older woman.

Alexa moved her head from side to side, “You heard my mother, make you clean it up,” she said, tone snarky.

Ivy smiled, “Of course,” she replied.

Alexa waited, folding her arms across her chest, “Well? What are you waiting for?” she challenged, rolling her eyes. “So lazy,” she added, turning and walking from the room, making sure to track some of the stew across the floor.

The moment Alexa had vanished, Ivy turned around to see Daffyd emerging from behind a basket on the counter. Letting out a sigh of relief, she smiled at him and put a finger to her lips, “That was close,” she whispered softly.

Daffyd wore a sour expression on his face, “She has all of the qualities of a braying ass,” he said, shaking his head.

Ivy grinned. “You stay up here while I finish cleaning up, then I can sneak you back up to my room before I go check on the carriage house,” she said.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please feel free to share a review, provide a comment, or just leave some good old fashioned feedback. It is always helpful and muchly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this story!