- Text Size +

Chapter Twenty Three

 

****Jacen****

               

                The first time since this ordeal begun, I wanted to just breakdown and cry. I had really messed up this time. I kept going over all the events that led to my demise and all I can come up with is my own stubbornness and pigheadedness which led me to this situation. I am sitting trapped in a book bag for crying out loud. The idea of being a prisoner to one of my sister’s little friends is enough to drive a man insane, but in the end if I had just listened to Al, who was thinking with a far clearer head then I was I wouldn’t be in this situation. I spent the next seemingly hundred hour’s listening to the deafening silence as I struggled to come to terms with the realization of what my own stupidity had done to me. I started to hear voices talking in a hushed tone, and giant people trying to walk softly. It is actually quite funny in hindsight, when you think about how large they are, and how hard it is to actually soften the footfalls of beings that weigh tons upon tons in comparison to me.

                A soft squeaking of the door told me that they had entered. My heart was racing in fear. Whatever Emma had cooked up or had in store for me it couldn’t be good. I kept picturing how proud and defiant she looked as she held me in her hands. This was going to be it. I thought to myself as I heard the footfalls end right beside the backpack I was being held in.

I gulp audibly as the zippered teeth tear apart and the bright lights from outside shine down into the bag. I rub my eyes and find myself squinting as I adjust to the bright lights, as my vision returns the blurry mesh of tan colors changes to the jubilant face of Emma beaming down at me. 

“Somebody’s in trouble!!!” Emma says in a sing song voice as she stares down at me with a mischievous glint in her eyes which sent shivers down my spine.

I was at a loss for words as I watched her hand descend upon me.  I felt her warm fingers curl around my body and lift me from the prison she had put me in. As she pulled me closer to the top of the bag I could see the shadows of another person. My mind raced with possible people it could be, none of which exactly screamed freedom from this young tyrant.

As I left the proximity of the bag I found myself staring directly at Emma’s body. I had to crane my neck around in order to sub side my curiosity. As I turned my head further and further I saw the face of Al. I cringed as she had a very similar look in her eyes to that of which I got when I was younger from our mother.  It usually meant it was business time, and If I was lucky I would escape with just verbal thrashing, but usually when I was younger it meant I would be sitting funny for the better part of the next couple days.

                “JACEN!” I heard two familiar yet extremely loud voices bellow down.

                “Hey girls, how is it going? I hope I didn’t worry you too much!” I tried to nonchalantly say while flashing a Han Solo lopsided smile.

                “We will talk about this when we get home Jacen.” Al said with an angry glare.  I found myself almost instantly back in Al’s grip.  I looked about realizing how much smaller Al’s hand now was.  I felt relieved even though I knew I was going to get it as soon as we got home.

“Listen Al, I can explain” I stammered which caused a giggle from Emma as I already found myself slipping into a similar pattern of what I would do when I was younger. Fighting for some kind of excuse which would make whatever I just did wrong seem completely justified. However, just like when I was younger, nothing good ever came to mind.

“Oh I’m sure you can little man” Al said in a very similar tone to which I hear her use when she is babysitting. I can’t help but feel a little humiliated but after what I probably had put her through it’s probably justified.

“Although, Al isn’t the only one who came Jacen.” I could see a series of emotions spread across Miranda’s face. I could see relief in her eyes, worry because of the way she was biting her lower lip, and her body was tensed like it always got when she was angry.

“What were you thinking Jacen? What if someone besides Emma had found you? Do you know how you made your sister feel when she got home, to her room and you were nowhere to be found?” Miranda exclaimed.

The next few hours were a blur as Emma had what seemed like a hundred questions and all I wanted to do was get out of dodge. What bothered me the most was that throughout the entire process I was in Al’s lap, or held by Al. I really wanted to run over to Miranda and just fling my arms around her, however there I sat in my little sister’s lap who was completely ruining the mood.

                My mind wandered as Al and Emma made some chit chat. Miranda was looking down at me with a bit of shock and awe. I guess I can’t really blame her. It’s not every day that you see the world’s smallest man.

                The entire way home Al was telling me about how she had found a way to reverse the process and that I would be normal sized before I knew it.  I had my doubts, as it seemed so farfetched to think I could somehow go back to being bigger, taller, and stronger than my now gigantic sister.  However, it’s the only hope that has kept me going this long and it’s not like growing this small seemed that possible to me before it happened. So i guess returning to normal sized can't be that much more far fetched. I guess as much as I always wanted it, i never thought it would actually happen. The one thing I do know, is that  I am sure that  it will be an adventure too if it works.