- Text Size +

Chapter Sixteen

 

***Jacen***

 

            I watched Al walk back into the room. It was intimidating seeing her stroll in so causally and close the door. I shook in fear as she neared me. She was just so big. I kept getting the urge to go run and hide. I had to keep telling myself that she is just my little sister. However, as each moment past since then began I was starting to realize that it was no longer holding true. Al may never be just my little sister again.

            “Hey Jace, mom sure is worried about you. She was giving me quite the talk.” Al said as she sat down at her desk. The sound of chair squeaking sent shivers down my spine. All I could think about was being caught on that chair and Al not seeing me. The thought of being snuffed out by little sister in such a way made me sick.

            “I was thinking, we should probably keep you a secret. Mom and Dad are not themselves right now. Your death, well supposed death hit them hard Jacen.”

            “So what am I suppose to do Al? I am not gonna hang out in your room. I’m not like what your pets you can keep in a cage.” I shouted while stomping my foot defiantly.

            “You look so funny. What are you gonna do? Forbid me? Or is my big brother gonna put me in my place?”

            As soon as I spoke, I realized I had said too much, especially as Al pushed her chair in closer to the desk. What really got to me was the way she emphasized big brother and forbid. It really made my blood boil. She was daring me, taunting me, reminding me of where I stood in her eyes.

            “Al, be reasonable. I don’t want to be like this forever.”

            “Well, I suppose I could help you, but you have to agree to stay out of sight. You can’t show yourself to anyone. Not Jenni, not mom, not dad, but most of all you have to do what I say.” I watched in horror as Al leaned back in her chair and rose her foot up onto the desk. The impact of her foot setting down on the desk sent me tumbling down to the ground.

            I patted myself down checking for injuries. As begun to pick myself up when I noticed a change in my environment. Al’s massive foot dominated the only open spot on the desk. I stumbled backwards as I watched her foot twitch to and fro in beat with the music.

            My eyes locked on to the underside of her sock. It was a dingy grey and I could bits and pieces of god only knows what crushed into the bottom of her sock. I can only assume from walking across her floor, images of me mashed into the bottom of her sock started popping into my head.

            “Okay, let’s do this together.” I said. I didn’t like it but I knew I had no choice. I don’t hold any cards right now.

            “This will be fun. I know someone at school who might be able to help. She seems to be up on odd things like this.”

            “Oh I am sure your little friend will have all the answers. She probably knows all about shrinking people.”

            “Oh the new girl knows more then you think Jace.” It was then I heard my mothers voice yell get to bed. My sister groaned as she looked down at me.

            “Well I guess you better to bed, its almost 11. You better call mom to tuck you in.” I teased as all moved her foot off the desk.

            “I don’t see what you think is so funny. Your going to bed too!”

            “What? I’m a adult. I don’t have a baby bedtime like you.” As soon as the words left my mouth Al’s head turned darted towards me. Her eyes beat down on me with a icy stare. It was similar to the look my mom would always give me when I was a boy.  It scared the shit out of my then, but now, now I felt absolute fear grip me. I shook as Al looked begun to bend down towards me.

            “How could she not hear a god damn thing I say since this ordeal started, and now when I make fun of her, her hearing is perfect.” I mumble to myself as her face is now level with me. I can feel her warm breath wash over me as a grin crosses her face.

            I was about to apologize when her fingers started closing around me. I still couldn’t get over the speed that she could move at. I barely got a chance to blink before her fist was all around me.

            Everything was a blur as Al walked towards her bed. I tried to plead with her but either she didn’t care or couldn’t hear me. The bed springs squeaked underneath Al’s weight.

            “So Jace, do you remember Henry? I’m sure you do. You tease me about him all the time, everything from look at the baby with her stuffed animal, to taking and hiding him from me.”

            As I looked up at my giant little sister I found myself wishing I could take some of the times I teased her. I always took great pleasure in taking Henry her stuffed Kangaroo. She has had it since she was a baby. So it has a degree of sentimental value but I never cared about that. I just saw it as a way to give her a hard time.

            “In you go Jace” Al said as she griped the pouch of the stuffed kangaroo. I immediately knew what she had in mind. I screamed as I found myself lowering towards the open pouch at blazing speed.

            I felt Al’s warm hand release its hold on me and the cold air begun to sweep past me. I reached out instinctively trying to stop my progress but there was nothing to hold on too. I only fell faster and faster. I found myself screaming bloody murder as I fell faster and faster. Then I smashed against a firm yet soft wall and slid down the hall. I tried to grasp the fur of the stuffed animal but I was sliding to fast.

            “No, nooooo” I screamed as I watched Al let go out of the pouch and a furry wall slam against my chest halting my descent immediately. I tried to move my arms or legs but I was snuggly held in place.

            “Al! get me out here! Get me out of here right now.” I yelled up to her.

            “All I can hear is little squeakings, You must be saying thank you Al for this nice warm bed. I will be right back I have to go change.”

            “Get back here!!” I screamed as my blood continued to boil. I desperately tried to free my arms to pull myself out but I had been completely immobilized as I watched my sister disappear into her closet.

            A few minutes later I saw Al reappear wearing some plaid pajama pants and one of her school t-shirts.

            “Al get me out of here” I pleaded as she crawled into bed as the door to her room swung open and I saw my mom walking towards her.

            My eyes lit up with glee as my mom neared and bent over AL.

            “Mom!! MOM I’m right here” I cried as her head got closer and closer. I continued screaming for help as I watched my mom kiss Al good night. It was at that moment I watched Al’s arm swoop towards me as they swept around me and Henry the kangaroo as she pulled it towards her chest as mom pulled the covers over Al.

            “I know this is has been tough for you honey. I know you and your brother had a special relationship. I could tell as much as you two always teased each other you were so close. It’s gonna get easier baby.”

            I watched as Al’s arm pressed against my upper chest as she pressed me and Henry tightly against her chest. I could only watch from my humiliating position as my mom left without a clue of how close she had been to me. I never felt more pain then I had right now.

            “Goodnight Little Jace”

 

***Alyson***

 

            I couldn’t believe how fitting everything was. I felt so empowered as I looked down at Jacen trapped in the front pouch of Henry my Kangaroo. However, when my mom came in to tuck me in just like she use too when I was a little girl and had no idea Jacen was right there. I felt a tingle of excitement.

            I ran my finger over jacen, ruffling his hair once before I rolled over and went to sleep.