- Text Size +
            I was lying on the floor; the cool air filled my lungs for but a moment before I exhaled staring blankly into the darkness. I look up at the ceiling, and could only see a small hole maybe a foot in length to me, but in reality, it is probably only an inch, maybe two.

            I scanned the darkened world for what felt like the millionth time. I just kept looking out at the darkness, hoping something would change, and a way out would appear. Nothing changed, nothing at all. To the left of me, a giant wooden rod with black spikes sticking up into the air. If I fell from the top of this bag all the way to bottom landing one of those spikes, they would impale me and I would die instantly. That wooden rod, those black spikes are nothing but hair a hairbrush.

            A simple brush I have seen my little sister use a hundred times. I have seen her push open the metal doors at the gym, her walking out with this bag that I am trapped in slung over her shoulder.  She casually walked towards me as she runs the brush through her hair repeatedly. I have seen this brush perhaps a thousand times. The strong thick wooden wood handle, with a cherry oak finish, black plastic rods sticking up with little pink-coated balls on the end of each black plastic rod.

            Now when I look at this brush its huge, its bigger, longer, and heavier then me. This thing could kill me. It could impale me, it could crush me. There are so many ways this simple stupid brush of my little sister could harm me.

            Just next to that, brush is a balled up pair of her socks. You never pay attention to socks until you find yourself looking at some bigger then you, trapped in a bag the size of a building.

            I couldn’t believe this was happening, getting Al’s attention was suppose to end all of this. I was supposed to be rushed to the waiting arms of my family and yet here I am. Forced to wait on my little sister. I have made her wait on me so many times. It’s probably only fitting that I wait for her. I remember mom and dad always making me pick her and her stupid friends up at the mall. I would have to go out of my way with my friends to get my little sister and her little friends. It was so embarrassing. She would always ask so where are we going. She would ask as if she expected she could come with.

            I never let her tag along with me. I never let her hang out with my friends, or even let her into my world. Now, now just a few hours ago, I for the first time begged to go with my little sister. I wanted to tag along with her. I didn’t feel anything at the time, but now, I feel embarrassed and upset. Upset that I am stuck in this situation and embarrassed I now have to beg my little sister for help. I’m a grown man, I am a adult. I can vote, I can get people to buy me beer. I don’t have a nine o’clock curfew like my little sister.

            The floor started to rumble, I recognized that rumble immediately. It was Al. I heard the door squeak as it opened up and then slammed shut. I stood straight up and stared at the opening at the top of the bag. I expected her to come right over to the bag and let me out. The minutes ticked by and I heard her bedsprings squeak a little. I still was standing straight up staring at the opening of this gym bag. Time ticked by like I was watching paint try. A moment seemed like an hour, a minute like a day. I then heard a low rumble; it wasn’t the floor this time though. It was in the air. It was like an electronic beat. Then I heard my sister belt out I’m bringing sexy back.

            My blood boiled as the Justin Timberlake lyrics swirled around me. I yelled Al’s name, but nothing happened. I heard her computer chair depress and creek a little followed by the ding of an instant message program. It went off several times before I felt the ground shake a shadow cover the opening of the bag. I gulped as I looked up and through the small hole at the face my little sister.

            “Hey Jace! Did you miss me?” As upset and angry as I was, it all spilled out of me faster then milk from an overturned glass. My anger was replaced with fear and intimidation. I didn’t even realize I was backing up until I felt my back press against her balled up sock.

            I didn’t know what to say, and it didn’t matter as she couldn’t hear me anyway. I couldn’t help but look up at this giant in complete awe. It was unreal how big she is.

            “Jenni and I went to the greatest restaurant, they had seafood galore. All kinds from anywhere you could think of. I ate so much. Are you hungry?”

            I couldn’t even reply as I watched the giant open up the bag with a slight move of the wrist. It was incredible, I couldn’t even put a dent in the bag, and she just opens up the bag like its nothing.

            I couldn’t even get another thought out before I felt her hand around me, I looked around stunned at first. I wondered for a moment if I would ever get use to the speed of these giants when I realized I was doing it again. They aren’t giants, she isn’t giant. She is my just my little sister.

            Before I knew it I was out of the bag and we were halfway across the room. The warmth radiating from Al’s hand felt good, as my body shivered as her hand quickly warmed me up. I was just starting to feel warm when her hand opened up and I found myself rolling the across the length of my sister’s hand and onto the cold wooden desktop.

            “Sorry” Al giggled as she looked down at me picking myself up from my abrupt landing.

            “So are you hungry? Just nod if you are as I don’t want to bother turning my music down. I like this song, and Justin is soooo cute.”

            I meekly nodded in disgust as I watched my sister bounce around humming along with the song. I felt so small and weak. A simple CD player can drown me out.

            “So like I was saying, we went to this great seafood restaurant. I didn’t forget about you. I snuck you some food.”

            I watched her stand up and dig into her pants pocket, before I could react something was falling down towards me. I covered my head with my hands as I heard a thud land beside me.

            “You looked sooo scared. Whose the scaredy cat now huh?” she teased

            “Very funny, HA HA HA. Your such a pain” I muttered as I looked up at her for a moment before turning around to see what gift she had bestowed upon me.

            “I didn’t know what to get you, so I figured I’d go with something small. I hope you like shrimp, shrimp!”

            It was at that moment Alyson’s door swung open. I saw what looked to be salvation standing in the doorway. It was my twin sister Jenni. I knew she would help me.

            “Jenni!! JENNI!!!” I screamed waving my arms.

            “Mom wants you.” Jenni said.

            “Okay, what does she want?”

            “I don’t know. Just go down and see. Don’t give her a hard time either. Just remember what we talked about.”

            “Okay, okay” Alyson muttered as she stood up and headed out of the room.

            “No Jenni, don’t leave, I’m here! Right here. For godsakes!! JENNI!!”