- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is my third story. At some point or another, I've lost my muse for my other two stories, so I'm hoping that the third time is indeed the charm. I don't know how long I'll continue this, but I do intend to finish it eventually. I hope you all enjoy.

Author's Chapter Notes:

This Chapter begins with a short prologue, just to give a little backstory about the miniature people. Enjoy, and please give me your reviews so I can know what to improve, or if I'm just doing a good job. Thanks.

Prologue


Tim Johnson sold a house that came into his possession after his grandfather’s passing. Having had a lot of memories of being there, it was tough for him to leave it, but he needed to let go, being there was a constant reminder that his grandfather was no longer with him. His grandfather was a little strange, he’d admit, but they had a close relationship. It was only when he started losing his mind, did they start to grow farther apart. He’d still visit his grandpa regularly, but the fact was, he couldn’t quite stand all this crazy nonsense talk that he always talked about. His grandfather insisted he wasn’t crazy, and yet he kept talking of tiny people roaming the house… But Tim let it go, and forgot about it, so as not to taint the good memories he had with his grandpa. If only he had known that his grandpa wasn’t crazy.


In fact, there was a healthy civilization of tiny people living in the house. And they only trusted Michael Johnson, Tim’s grandfather, which is why he knew of their existence. They for the most part tried to stay stealthy, because after all, the last thing they wanted was for somebody to discover their existence, and kill them, test on them, or some other horrible fate. And Michael took care of them, up until his death. Although they could not go to his funeral, they held their own memorial, remembering him and all the good he had done. And with him gone, they were left to fend for themselves. Some, unfortunately, did not make it. However, others learned to farm what they could, and some even managed to kill bugs for food. And so they thrived, without the help of any giants.


Chapter 1


Sarah Wilson is a 21 year old, who had just made enough money to move out from living with her parents. She bought her own house, which hadn’t been owned for ten years, making it rather cheap compared to the other houses she’d looked at. It was a little bit of a fixer upper, but hey, it was a place to call her own, and she was glad to finally move away. With all her items packed, she climbed into the moving truck, and she began to drive to her house. She had done a little research on it, and it was very interesting. Apparently the former owner was some old man, who had lost his mind. In the end, he died of natural causes, and while it was unfortunately at the house, at least he wasn’t murdered. So she was okay with that. It wasn’t furnished, but she could pick out her own furnishings. For right now, all she needed was a TV, clothes, and a bed. She’s slowly unpack later, but she was just excited to get there, and spend her first night in her new house.


Meanwhile, the civilization of miniature people had changed a lot. Unlike humans, their life cycles were much faster. The average life for a person was 10 years, if they were to die of natural causes. So needless to say, most people don’t even remember the old man that once took care of them. In fact, a lot of them didn’t even know giants existed. It was always thought to be a myth, at least, until recently when people had started infiltrating their house. When the giants came, they hid in the walls, but for the most part, it looked like they were just cleaning. Of course, this was rather devastating, because their ‘cleaning’ had ruined all of the crops they were growing. Granted they had a store of food in the walls, a lot of what they had grown was gone now, which left them at a disadvantage. To make matters worse, more giants came, this time, they were talking too.


The Elder was the only one who risked his life to hear what they were saying. And while it was a bit hard to understand, he could make out the words, “Buy” “House” and “Own”. From this, he concluded that the worst possible scenario was going to happen, and once the giants left, he returned to his people with a message. “We are in grave danger, for we are no longer alone. Soon, very soon, a giant will enter our midst, and there will be nothing we can do to stop them.” When he finished speaking, he got the response he expected. Fear. People began turning on each other, because of disagreements in how to go about things. Speaking up again, he said, “Listen everybody. The only way to handle this is to work together, and avoid the giant at all cost.” To this, almost everybody sighed, and begrudgingly agreed.


A couple of weeks later, and we’re back to the present, where an exhausted Sarah Wilson exits the moving truck, and opens up the back. Since it’s just her, she doesn’t have too many boxes, but she has a few big items to move, including her television, her bed, and her bean bag chair she sits in when she games. Looking over all of the items, she lets out a heavy sigh, and gets to work, starting with the boxes.


The miniature people inside of the house can hear all of the commotion outside, and even see what’s going on as she carries the big boxes inside of the house. The Elder makes sure to keep everybody spread apart, and close to the wall, so as to not draw the attention of the giant. The last thing they needed, was for her to spot them and see them as bugs. Because if there’s anything, anything at all that he learned from his elders, it’s that humans hate bugs, and if they are seen, they’d be killed on site. And since he was in charge of everybody, it was his responsibility to make sure that didn’t happen. While most of them stood still, he paced back and forth in front of them, both watching them, and simply thinking about how things were going to go.


Sarah had about half of the boxes in her house when she tripped and fell. The box she was carrying in her hands flew over to the wall, and landed. Luckily it was clothes, and nothing fragile. However, while this was a good thing for Sarah, it was a bad thing for the people. They all saw it coming, and began heading towards the crack in the wall in which they usually reside, however 2 were crushed under the box, a third having his leg trapped underneath. One of his friends stayed behind and tried to help him out, but this proved to be foolish, because when Sarah got up, she walked over to the box, and she happened to notice the little person. Only she saw them as a bug.


Sarah wasn’t like normal girls, not in the slightest. When you think of the average girl, and bugs, you can usually predict a response of screaming, jumping, hiding, or anything that would indicate fear of something 10,000 times smaller than them. But not Sarah. Sarah grew up as a tom boy, and as such, she grew up unafraid of bugs. She used to play with them as a kid, but as she grew older, she thought of them as disgusting creatures. This did not stop her from killing them dead, with whatever she had on hand, be it a shoe, her hand, or even her bare foot. It didn’t bother her, because like with anything, you can always just clean up the mess once it’s over. And so, it was no surprise when she lifted up her sneaker-clad foot, and she stomped down on the insignificant being below.


While everybody was in the wall, aside from those left to die outside, they could hear a thunderous earthquake, which could only mean that nobody survived. They could hear the giant pick up the box, and continue up the stairs, as if nothing had happened. This caused outrage, and even more arguments. And although the Elder tried to silence them, it was to no avail. This time, they were splitting up. One group said, “We’re going on the offensive. She killed some of our own people, so we need to take her down at all costs, before we end up in the same position. We need to protect ourselves, and avenge others.” Then another group interjected, “We should protect ourselves, but we’re not going to do it like that. We’re going to make contact with her. It was a mistake, she wasn’t personally persecuting our species. If we let her know we’re here, she won’t harm us. She’ll be like the giant in the old stories.” And finally, the last group spoke up, the Elder leading them. “Your groups are both foolish. You will only kill yourselves, and get the rest of us killed. I know that I cannot change your minds, but we’re going to be smart, and remain in hiding. We won’t let you ruin us. We won’t let you make our species extinct.” And with that, all three groups split up. There were now a group of fighters, a group of peacemakers, and a group of hiders.


In the time the debate took place, Sarah had managed to bring in every last box, and her TV. She was now carrying in her bed, which without another person, was kind of difficult. But Sarah was a strong young woman, and she wanted to prove she was capable of doing things on her own. And so she did, bringing everything upstairs and into her room. She then began to put together her bed, making sure that she connected everything properly, so she didn’t have any problems later on. Once that was done, she pulled her mattresses onto her bed, and she made the bed up. All the while, she was completely unaware of three little fighters who were spying on her, waiting for the perfect time to make their move. However, they waited too long, and were trampled swiftly underfoot, as she made her way downstairs and out the door to collect her beanbag, and prepare to take the moving truck back.


A party of two peacemakers were sitting by the TV, waiting for her to come back. Once she brought her beanbag in, they expected her to sit down, but instead, she went outside and left. With this surprise, they decided they would instead explore the beanbag, and wait her out until she came back. Afterall, if they were on the beanbag, they would have less of a climb to go through.


And back in the wall, all of the hiders were having a meeting, discussing what to do about the two other groups, and how to go about surviving. The Elder spoke once more, and said, “For now, until we know where is safe, we will keep all of our farming inside the walls, and we will only worry about ourselves. Even I do care about some of those who left, but the fact is, they left. We can’t worry about them, or fend for them. We have to take care of ourselves, and make sure that we survive. I’ll be honest, they’ll probably get themselves killed, which is why we need to live, in order to reproduce, and in turn, keep thriving as a species. It’s going to be very difficult, I know, and we’ll have to make a lot of adjustments. But just remember, they chose this life, and we chose ours. Life will go on, and we’ll have to go on with it. Good night everybody, let’s all get some rest, as I’m sure these next few days will be very interesting.

 

Chapter End Notes:

With the first day coming to a close, at least for the hiders, what's going to happen to the other two groups. What about the scouts at the beanbag chair? And will the fighters retaliate, or will they hold off? Stay tuned for the next installment!

 

( P.S. Thanks again for reading my story. Like I said, reviews are always appreciated, and lastly, rather you're a new reader, or an old fan of mine, I hope you enjoy what I put out. c: )