- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm feeling divinely inspired, so I'm sending up another update! I hope that this story will show off everything we're capable of! 

"Where did you find her?" Naomi tried her hardest not to freak out at this new information. "Obviously, I'm not the only Unbound in this town." She ran her hands through her hair, her right hand twiddling a dyed-green streak that had been an old friend's idea- most people wouldn't know this, but this was actually her tell for when she was exceedingly nervous. 

"I picked her up in the parking lot," Lorelei said, which only made Naomi's internal monolog freak out more.

You almost lost her today. If she had been there a little while earlier, whoever this was might've shrunk her, too. You almost let the best girl you've ever dated fall into the clutches of some psychopath. 

Naomi, temporarily forgetting that there was the issue of Sammi shrunk to roughly a third of the size of the Lucy or Ryan- another chilling thought, as apparently this person was stronger than her, too- rushed in and tightly hugged Lorelei.

"Wh- what's all this for?" Lorelei chuckled, surprised. 

"I'm sorry I haven't been around," Naomi whispered. "Please, until I find whoever did thus to Sammi, I need to know you're safe." Naomi's imagination was running away from her, coming up with increasingly terrible situations that Lorelei might get into if she ever ran into this person. If they would shrink someone down to being smaller than a finger and just leave them there, Naomi shuddered to think of what they might do if they ever really got angry.

"I'll stay safe, don't worry," Lorelei said almost dismissively, as if she thought nothing bad could happen. 

Naomi broke the hug, looking Lorelei in the eye. "I can only handle making something 1/11 of its original size, Lor. Sammi was 5'10". That means whoever did this is more than 3 times better at this than I am. There's no telling if this is even the limit to what whoever this is can do. I'm scared for you, Lor." She looked at the floor. "Because I'm Unbound, they won't be able to harm me, but there's always the possibility that this nutcase could stop you as you leave the house, and then suddenly you're a bloodstain on the driveway." She leaned in, touching noses with her girlfriend. "Promise me that you'll stay in here, with the door locked, unless I'm with you."

Lorelei smiled at Naomi. "Don't worry. I'll be fine. Besides," she added conspiratorially, "I thought I was the possessive one."

Before the conversation could continue, Sammi began loudly chittering, drawing Naomi's attention. "I'm sorry, Sammi, but only the person who shrinks you or someone else your size can understand you. I know that this must be terrifying for you, but maybe Lucy and Ryan can help you out in the morning."

Suddenly, Sammi began pointing aggressively at Lorelei, and Lorelei began to clench her fist. "Don't hurt her, Lor, she's been through something traumatic." Naomi's attention returned to Sammi. "That's Lorelei, Sammi. She's that girlfriend I told you about." Her eyes shifted back up to Lorelei. "She works with me. Thankfully, her register is on the other side of the store, but she chats with me on our break."

Lorelei didn't respond, but smirked.

Naomi sighed, dreading this next part. She was so excited about her surprise for Lorelei that it was an absolute struggle maintaining the surprise. "I know I told you that I have the weekend off, but I'm meeting up with Gloria tomorrow." Lorelei groaned, and Naomi couldn't blame her.

Gloria was Naomi's older sister, who had already repeatedly attempted to break the couple up, starting with an attempt to bribe Lorelei into leaving. While she was starting to realize that Naomi and Lorelei loved each other, Gloria had yet to cease her efforts. In fact, she and Lorelei inevitably got into shouting matches whenever they were in the same room, and they had both caused each other physical pain- Gloria had maced Lorelei more than once, and Lorelei had kicked Gloria's ass about a month ago. 

"I know, I know," Naomi said, "but I need you to be civil with her. I need . . . ah, erm, . . . a favor from her, and she might not help me if you break her nose again. So, if she shows up while I'm sleeping, please let her in and try not to fight with her. Okay?" She punctuated this with a kiss to Lorelei's nose.

"I . . . won't break her nose again," Lorelei mumbled.

Naomi smiled, and walked over in the general direction of the bedroom. However, she just didn't have it in her legs to walk that far, and collapsed on the living room couch, asleep in moments. 

Chapter End Notes:

Choreographer, it's your turn!