- Text Size +

Back at the House

Night arrived prematurely, hastened by the thick and angry storm clouds darkening the sky. The sounds of wind screaming through the branches of trees near the plantation and the candlelit environment gave the house an eerie quality.

“Cozy,” mumbled Aedin, uncomfortable in the silence, left hand curled around the ceramic mug half filled with tea on the arm of the chesterfield where he sat.

Daphne sat directly to his right, leaning into him.

“I should’ve brought my acoustic, we could have done some unplugged stuff,” Eddie lamented.

“Go get it,” encouraged Pete.

Eddie snorted. “There a hurricane out there, shit’s blowing around like a hundred miles an hour,” he said, indignant look on his face.

“I’ll go with you to get it,” Anna volunteered, voice sweet, looking at him behind her long lashes.

Eddie perked up, “Say what now?” he asked, eyes intent.

“Absolutely not,” said Amanda, staring at Eddie. “I’ll go,” she said.

Eddie leaned back, slow smile creeping over his face. “Sure,” he said. Getting up, he walked over and extended a hand down to Amanda, stealing a glance at Anna. A smile on his face to see the young girl peeking back. Helping Amanda to her feet, Eddie led her to the door and together they stepped out into the elements. Moving quickly at a brisk jog, there was still enough light to see by, they made their way to the bus. Cracking the door, they entered the vehicle, Eddie first Amanda second. Making his way further into the bus, Eddie grabbed the case that held his acoustic guitar, a lot of times on the road, he and Aedin would spend hours crafting songs and devising lyrics together. Grabbing it by the handle he walked back toward Amanda.

She stood beside the driver’s seat, “You know, I see the way you look at my daughter,” she said, tone serious, hands on her nicely rounded hips.

“Come on,” Eddie started, scoffing, “It’s all just in play, your daughter is exceptionally pretty and by flirting with her makes her feel special, right?”

“Yes she is,” Amanda replied. “On both accounts, pretty and special.”

He stepped in close to her, “I see she gets it from her mother,” he said, looking down at her, touching his lower lips with the tip of his tongue.

She smiled and nodded, “I suppose,” she answered, pausing.

“Is this where you tell me to stay away from your darling little angel?” he asked, half smile now on his face. “Her daddy has got a shotgun.”

She laughed, “No, I just wanted to give you fair warning about her is all,” she replied.

“Warning?” he said, puzzled by her cryptic answer, “What do you mean warning?”

Turning toward the steps leading off the bus, she shook he head and grinned, like she was privy to some inside joke.

“You better keep one eye on your little princess in there tonight momma,” he said, perturbed by her demeanor. “I’m a wolf,” he added, howling.

She looked sideways at him, big smile on her attractive face, “I’ll do what I can to keep her off of you, no promises though, you’ve put a pretty big target on your back,” she said, stepping down getting off the bus.

He marched after her, the wind lashing him once he exited the bus.

“We better get back, wind is picking up,” she said, raising her voice to be heard above the sinister whine of the wind.

Eddie nodded, raising a hand in front of his face to keep flying debris out.

Back at the plantation, Pete made a sour face, his stomach rumbling, an uneasy feeling in his bowels, like they might loosen unexpectedly. Looking over at Angeline, he asked, “You got a toilet somewhere nearby?”

Angeline got up, “I’ll show you,” she said, motioning him to follow.

“Are you okay?” Karli asked.

Pete seemed to consider a moment before nodding his head, be damned if he’d give her the pleasure of getting a dig in.

She shook her head and chuckled, “Graveyard rum,” she said.

He put a fake smile on and nodded, showing her the middle finger of his left hand.

Boneyard booze, give you the blues, deep in the bayou,” Aedin said in sing song fashion.

Daphne clapped her hands together, before putting them on his shoulder. “That’s awesome,” she cooed.

Karli arched and eyebrow and looked over, “Injustice’s next mega hit?”

Aedin laughed, “It’s fans like these who decide which song is a hit or not,” he said. “Take a look around, guess what we found, going to drink it down.”

At the bathroom door, Pete clutch a hand around his abdomen, steadying himself against the door jamb with his free hand.

“What did she mean graveyard rum?” asked Angeline, standing next to Pete.

He belched under his breath, and shook his head. Shuffling into the bathroom, he took the candle and closed the door. He started to feel nauseous. He started to wonder if it was the rum, after all he drank more than any of the other. Pulling down his pants he sat on the toilet, but nothing came out. He noticed a tingling sensation in his fingertips and in his toes.

Angeline returned from the back.

Karli looked up in askance. Angeline pursed her mouth and shook her head.

“What about you three?” Karli asked, looking first at the bus driver Jeb, then to Charlie and over to Aedin, “Any of you getting a case of the trots?”

Charlie snorted and slapped his stomach, “Nope.”

Aedin shook his head.

The bus driver was touching his fingers one at a time to his thumbs, “I feel a little off, and my fingers feel like they’re starting to fall asleep,” Jeb said, still touching his fingers to his thumbs.

“Maybe you should turn it?” suggested Celeste, eyes sparkling in the weak light.

Jeb nodded.

“I’ll show you the way,” Angeline said.

“Good night,” called Karli, followed by several others.

Aedin was touching his little fingers to his thumbs and then the ring fingers on his own hands when Eddie and Amanda returned.

Each grabbing a towel, they dried off before returning to the others, Eddie winking at Anna as they girl’s resumed her seat beside her daughter.

Opening the case, Eddie sat down, guitar on his lap, “where’s Pete?” he asked, bringing a hand to his mouth to belch.

“Bathroom,” Charlie answered, looking down toward his gurgling stomach.

Eddie nodded then shrugged his shoulders, “He’s just the bass player anyway,” he joked, strumming the strings of his guitar.

“Gone but not forgotten,” Aedin said, looking at his band mates.

Eddie nodded and started to play, Charlie kept tune with his feet and tapped his hands against his thighs.

“Late at night I’m all alone, remembering the way you felt, lying in my arms, now there’s just an empty space, an empty place in my heart. I don’t know why I let you go, I was blind and didn’t see, what it was you meant to me, you’re gone but not forgotten.”

Charlie held up a hand hiccupped, face looking a little green. Eddie stopped playing. Aedin frowned.

“I’m feeling a little off,” murmured Charlie, shaking his head, as if the action might clear the feeling in his stomach.

“Lightweight,” poked Eddie, chuckling.

Pete reappeared at the door, face pale, sweating clearly visible on his brow. “I’m going to turn in dudes,” he said. “Ladies,” he added.

“Don’t be getting the bed all funky,” Eddie said, a wave of unpleasant sensation washing over him.

Aedin moved Daphne to the side, leaning forward. “I think I need a drink,” he said.

“I think this is what happens when you de-toxify,” Karli said. Rising to her feet, “Bedtime for the boys,” she said.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please feel free to offer your thoughts, criticisms or feedback on this story, thanks!