- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So, interesting story. I had meant to upload sooner, but the fact is, I had written an amazing chapter, only to discover the site logged me out. I was unable to recover it, and as such, I've been on a rage break. I'm going to rewrite the chapter, and hopefully it will still be amazing, but I apologize for not getting a new update sooner.

When Nathan awoke, he was still in utter darkness. He had a small hope that maybe this was a nightmare. Just a dream he had after drinking too much beer. But feeling around, he found those familiar bars that meant he was still stuck in a cage. Which meant that he was still small, and in the hands of an insane woman. Unsure of what to do now, Nathan began trying to push the bars apart. He was by no means strong, nor were these bars easily bendable. But he knew he needed to do something, anything to get away before Ms. Scarlett came back and did more tests on him. Part of him feared that he would be put through a digestion test, but a part of him thought she wouldn't risk losing him so soon. After all, he wasn't sure if he'd survive the test. Of course, he wanted to survive, but if he didn't, he could at least be thankful that he was free from her. As he continued to push the bars, thinking about all the tests she could do, the lights suddenly flickered on.

 

Standing in the doorway, Ms. Scarlett watched Nathan's shocked expression, as she walked into the lab. Her high heels clicked against the tiled floor you would expect a creepy science lab to have. With only two fingers, she flicked Nathan off of the bars, chuckling at him. "Wow, Mr. Daniels, did you really think that you could get out of here? Of course you can't. At least, not while I've still got experiments to try." She began walking towards a desk in the back of the room. It appeared that Dr. Berkshire would not be joining her today, not that Nathan cared one way or the other. He just watched, his heart beating fast, as he tried to see what she was doing. And soon enough, he could see her walking back with something in hand. At first, it wasn't obvious what it was, but as she got closer, Nathan could make out that it was a clipboard. He wondered if it had information about him on it, but she spoke up and denied his thoughts. "Why don't you read this sheet? You might find it very interesting."

 

And so she left the clipboard by his cage, in such a way, that he'd be able to read, even at his size. She walked out of the lab, but she didn't turn the lights out, so he could read easily. The first thing Nathan noticed was a picture of a pretty red head, and a name below it. The name said, "Samantha Smith." He then looked over to the right, and began reading some information about this girl. It reminded him kind of what a doctor, or the government would have. It said that she's 22 years old, and 153 pounds. He continued reading and was shocked to see that she was 6'4", her feet being size 14. Below that, it began to list personal details, such as the fact that she was going to college, and that she was an athlete, who specialized in jogging. She lived in California, and Nathan wondered why Ms. Scarlett was showing him a random profile of a girl all the way across the country. Before he could read anymore, though, Ms. Scarlett had come back holding a weird sort of ray gun.

 

"Well, I hope you learned everything you'd like to know. Now, it's time that we begin a little experiment." She set the gun down nearby for a moment, and pulled out a tiny collar that appeared to have a camera on it. Carefully taking Nathan out of his cage, she placed the collar around his neck and laughed. "Well, then, tell me, are you ready for your experiment? I guess I should explain what's going to happen. At least, enough for you to understand... This gun right here creates rifts in space, for short periods of time. It may be clicking in your head now, that you'll be meeting the girl on the clipboard very soon. It's all apart of something I'd like to try, and we'll see how well it works. I can't explain more, because, well, I like surprises, and if I say too much, I'll ruin the surprise. So I guess, all that there is left to do, is to send you through the rift. And don't worry, I'll collect you when it's time. I wouldn't want to lose my little man..." She chortled, before shooting a small rift in space open. Nathan struggled against her grip, but unfortunately, that's what she wanted, as he fell into the rift.

 

Falling through space, it looked a lot like the night sky, however, it was more like a dark blue than the black of night. Before long though, his surroundings were replaced with white and possibly a little yellow. Nathan blinked and adjusted his eyes, feeling the ground beneath him, and the walls around him. They were soft, really soft. And they smelled kind of. Nathan wasn't quite sure where he was, but the best way he could describe it was a "white cave." Walking around, he wasn't sure if he was heading towards the exit, or deeper into the cave. Finally, he hit a wall, and realized he had climbed down the extent of this strange, soft cave. He was beginning to turn around, when suddenly, he had heard violent earthquakes in the distance. For the time being, Nathan had forgotten all about being small, but it came back to him, as he realized those must be footsteps. Could they be Sam's footsteps? Nathan pondered this, for a moment, wondering where he was in relation to Sam.

 

Samantha walked into the room, wearing her jogging clothes. This included sweatpants, as well as a tank top. It was often harder to find clothes, just due to the fact that she was so tall. It also didn't make finding a date any easier. She sighed, but she knew she should simply focus on her studies, and her goal of one day making it to the olympics. Right now, she could run a 5k everyday, but she wanted to go farther than that. Farther than most people could only dream. Maybe she was a dreamer, but she couldn't help but want to achieve greatness. And the only way she could achieve greatness, was by jogging everyday. And sure enough, it was that time. She just needed to slip on her jogging socks and shoes, and she'd be good. She'd owned both the socks and shoes for a long time, and wore them every time she jogged. She called them her good luck charms, but the main reason she wore them, is because it was expensive to get more than one pair. That being said, she didn't really wash the socks, just to preserve their "good luck." Besides, she assumed nobody would go smelling them anyways.

 

The earthquakes got louder for Nathan, and suddenly, he felt himself lifted into the air. Falling against the back wall of the cave, a sudden realization dawned on him. Why else would she show me what shoe size she wore, unless... But it was too late for him to get free, as he saw 5 monolithic toes at the entrance of the sock. They were painted two different colors, alternating a bright blue and a bright green. It felt like time slowed down as those toes came closer and closer to Nathan, and he knew there was no escape for him. He was going to be stuck in her sock, and that's all there was to it. Finally, they collided with his body, and he was pulled between her big and second toe, instantly feeling nauseous as the smell surrounded him. It kind of reminded him of some foreign cheese, only a lot worse. He would've gagged, but he hardly had the room to, as the socks were tight on her foot.

 

The process only took a couple of seconds for Sam, as she then put on her other sock, and proceeded to put on her sneakers. Making sure they were tightly laced up, she began to jog in place, and debate on rather she should go for 6k today. "I do want to go farther, but I should wait a little longer. I only just went up to 5k last week, and I don't want to go too far too fast. Otherwise, I'll burn myself out. I just need to keep listening to Dr. Scarlett, and I'll be fine." She took a deep breath, and having stopped jogging in place, she began to stretch and touch her toes. This was just the warm up, the calm before the storm. Of course, it wouldn't be anything to her, but to Nathan.... Speaking of Nathan, he could barely hear her talking to herself, but he did, and shuddered, thinking of how long he'd have to endure this smell. But even worse, he heard "Dr. Scarlett" in her words. He knew then that Ms. Scarlett knew this girl, and she wasn't picked at random. But how many people did she treat... Nathan pondered that for a moment before...

 

Sam walked outside, and immediately bolted, starting her jog. She could feel the burn, and could already tell she was sweating a lot. However, she was used to this, being an athlete, and she knew that something was wrong if she wasn't sweating. Meanwhile, that sweat was especially building up at her feet, and with Nathan's face pressed against her toes, he simply couldn't escape it. It fell into his eyes, making him go temporarily blind as he tried to blink it out. It filled his nose, intensifying the scent 10 fold. And worst of all, it entered his mouth. He didn't know how he was going to make it, considering this all happened before she finished her first kilometer. But time went on, and things got a little easier for Nathan. He was still grossed out beyond belief, but he managed to survive being her toe jam until she was done with all 5 kilometers. He now smelled like her foot, and as she made her way home, he found that he could breathe a little easier.

 

Sam removed her socks and shoes upon entering the house, before saying, "It's time to shower. I have to hurry though, because class starts in an hour." Nathan heard this, and realized that this was his chance. But before he could try and escape, he heard the sound of a rift in space opening up again. He had forgotten about the collar around his neck, the one allowing Ms. Scarlett to see everything, as well as take notes. And it also notified her of when the experiment was up. So she put her hand through the rift, and grabbed Nathan before he could get away. And soon enough, he found himself in the palm of her hand, looking up at her. She wrinkled her nose, obviously not a fan of the smell either, but she grinned wickedly, saying, "It was a complete success! I think we're going to have a lot of fun together, as we complete more tests, but first of all, I think we need to get you all washed up." She said, dropping him in a nearby sink, with a tiny bar of soap. She turned on the water, and said, "I'll collect you when you smell better." And with that, she walked over to her desk, keeping a careful eye on the collar cam...

 

Nathan needed to do as she said, and learn more about her. For now though, he was just glad to get rid of the foot smell...

Chapter End Notes:

Nathan survived the first test. But what other tests does she have in store for him? And will he learn more about her? Stay tuned for the next installment!