- Text Size +

Sarah stood silently as she watched the fairy fly around in a circle just above her head while chanting something in a language she didn’t recognize. She knew a lot of words in the fairy language but this was different. After about a minute of this she saw Kayla’s light grow brighter and start to creep down toward her. At the same time, she noticed that it was starting to look like the fairy was flying higher and higher over her head. Knowing that her ceiling wasn’t high enough for her to keep ascending as much as it seems Sarah looked around and noticed that the entire room was getting bigger as she shrank. 

 

When she reached what she estimated to be around three feet tall she started to feel a tightness in her shoulder blades. It didn’t hurt but it didn’t feel very pleasant either. It was like an intense itching tightness that was only increasing as she watched the world around her grow bigger and bigger. 

The sensation stuck around even after she had stopped shrinking. It was starting to get to be more than she could handle when she heard a loud ripping sound followed by a POP! then it went away completely. 

Turning around she saw that she now had a pair of beautiful wings just like Kayla’s. She thought about moving them and they awkwardly fluttered, sending lightly glowing dust scattering when they did. Looking at her feet she saw that she was standing in a large (to her) pile of what she knew was fairy dust.

“Wow!”, she thought to herself, “This is my own fairy dust!” as she knelt and picked some up in between her fingers.

Kayla had described that the fairy dust is the source of all fairy magic before and she told her each fairy was connected to it in their own way, but she never understood exactly what that meant until now. 

She was fully aware of every grain of her dust, she knew how many there were and even that when she fluttered her wings she sent particles in all directions. She reached out in her mind toward the dust that was out of her reach and could feel it as it made its way back to her. When it was all gathered in one spot under her knees she saw it grow brighter and then fade until it was gone, having reverted back to its non-material form since it hadn’t been used and being absorbed back into her essence.

The feeling, like everything about this experience so far, was intense.

As she was gathering her thoughts she heard a pair of bare feet land behind her followed by a thud as Kayla dropped to her knees in a slump and started breathing heavily.

 

Sarah immediately jumped to attention and turned toward her formerly tiny friend to see if she needed help. The first thing she noticed was that Kayla was no longer the small person she had always known her as. She seemed bigger. A lot bigger when she thought about it and then realized that she never bothered to ask just how big she would be when she became a fairy. Kayla had told her that fairies ranged in size from one to six inches, making her one of the larger ones. 

As Sarah approached her she noticed that even kneeling down she looked pretty close to her height. This made her slightly nervous but she remember Kayla once telling her that a fairy’s size had nothing to do with their strength, plus she knew her friend would never hurt her even if it did matter. It was just disorienting seeing someone who several minutes ago was a tiny little thing now who knew how much bigger than herself.

Kayla’s breathing slowed to normal as she recovered and she looked up and saw Sarah as a fairy for the first time.

“Wow!” she said, as she rose to one knee and then shakily stood up, “you’re a small one!”, then added with a slight smile, “and look at your hair! I’ve never seen one of us with that color. But then again, I’ve never seen any of us who used to be human so maybe this is normal”.

 

Sarah was curious about the hair comment, but that thought was immediately overshadowed when she realized she was now about lower chest height to Kayla. She estimated that put her at three inches tall. She knew she’d be small, but she never thought she’d be that small. She had just assumed that since she was already a giant compared to fairies she’d end up on the larger end of the scale. It was obvious that was wrong. She felt a desire to panic that passed quickly when she felt the amazon fairy embrace her in a massive hug.