- Text Size +

The Finder of Lost Sheep

Although technically employed only by Lina, Hedy assembled all of the women together in the main sitting room.

“Do you have some information about my son?” Ella inquired, guarded hope in her tone.

“Your son is currently in Moscow,” Hedy said bluntly, “well more accurately, he is at a private dacha or estate in Barvikha west of Moscow,” she clarified.

“Russia? What, how?” Lina inquired.

Hedy smiled. “From what I’ve been able to piece together, Tom was abducted from this location at the behest of a woman named Anastasia Cherysenko a short time ago,” she explained.

“How could you know all of this?” Dona asked, shaking her head in disbelief.

“While I am not at liberty to disclose the specific methodology of how I go about gathering intelligence, the thread that essentially unlocked this plot was a text exchange between Olesya Cherysenko and a woman I believe to be her step mother, Anastasia,” Hedy shared.

Spreading her hands apart in askance, “Who are these women and how did they even learn about Tom?” Lina inquired.

Hedy’s smile broadened as she focused solely on Lina, this was always her favorite part, being able to connect the dots. “At present, Olesya is currently attending school in the United States, coincidentally at the same school as your eldest daughter Jessica Lindholm.”

Lina’s heart sank. “Let me guess, Anastasia learned of Tom from Olesya, who in turn got the information from Jessica,” she stated.

Hedy nodded slowly. “The initial exchanges between the sisters appear innocuous enough, but there is additional information by your daughter Jessica attesting to the veracity of Tom’s condition and his intended treatment at this facility. After untangling that knot, it was relatively simple to focus my efforts specifically on Anastasia Cherysenko, who is the mastermind behind this contrivance,” she revealed.

Eyes narrowing, “Who is she then? Specifically? This Anastasia?” Lina inquired.

“Interestingly enough, there is not a lot of accurate information out there on her prior to her marriage to Sergei Cherysenko in 2001. Bear in mind, the dissolution of the former Soviet Union was a very turbulent time and many KGB, FSB, and SVR records are at best incomplete, at worst destroyed. At any rate, she makes her first documented appearance in October 2001 when she marries the extremely well connected forty-four year old Sergei. For his part, he knows all the right people and is in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the chaos of the early to mid-nineties, getting his fingers into a number of different things but it isn’t until he marries Anastasia that he enjoys his greatest measure of success. While on the surface it appears his business interests are legitimate, there are rumors connecting him to organized criminal activities including arms dealing, human trafficking, prostitution, gambling, narcotics, you name it,” Hedy shared, pausing a moment to allow the information to settle for the other woman.

“And you think this woman has Tom? Dona inquired, big eyes round.

Nodding slowly, “I know she does. I also know that she is, I’m not sure how to word this, offering his services to a discreet clientele,” Hedy confirmed.

Frowning, “What does that mean, offering his services?” Ella asked.

Holding up her hand, “The initial information I received indicates the services are sexual in nature,” provided Hedy.

Face darkening, “She is selling my son like some type of gigolo?” Ella asked.

Nodding, “From what the data I’ve been able to gather,” Hedy replied.

“You know this for a fact?” Lina asked.

Hedy nodded, “She has outlined his available services within a very select circle,” she explained.

Rising to her feet, “No,” Ella said, shaking her head. “How, how would she even get him out of here?”

“She employed the services of a very skilled professional acquisitionist named Evangeline Hart,” Hedy answered.

“Professional acquisitionist? You mean a thief? This is Evangeline Hart is nothing more than a glorified thief?” Lina countered.

Nodding, “Yes. Miss Hart broke in here and took Tom, delivering him to Anastasia,” Hedy supplied.

Stepping close to Hedy, “How do we get him back then?” Ella demanded.

Spreading her hands apart, “I was acting under the assumption the intent of my employment was not merely locating young Thomas, but also to take appropriate steps to return him to your custody. Once I was able to ascertain his current location, I took the liberty of dispatching an asset to the location to gather intel and secure his release,” Hedy replied.

“What?” Ella inquired.

“Really?” commented Lina.

“While my communication with Ms. Hall was somewhat limited, my understanding was that I was to access the necessary resources needed to recover Thomas,” Hedy explained.

Nodding, “Good, good,” chuckled Lina.

“So you have already taken steps to rescue my son?” Ella queried, buoyed by the prospect.

Hedy smiled, “Of course. The asset should be on the ground in Moscow shortly. For your information, this is a retrieval operation only with explicit instructions to avoid detection and contact.”

Dona chuckled, “I think you are very scary lady and someone not to be trifled with,” she offered, half joking, half not.

Still smiling, “Not at all, in fact I think this whole little event has demonstrated a capacity to get things settled expediently and perhaps has brought all of us here a little closer together,” Hedy replied.

“How soon will you know if your person has been able to get a hold of Tom?” inquired the boy’s mother.

“The first thing that will happen will be an assessment of the situation. While I certainly realize there may be time sensitivity issues in this situation, the last thing anyone needs is to make a hasty attempt and try to accomplish this unprepared. Once we have sufficient intelligence to ensure a manageable level of successful probability, then we will be informed very quickly about either a successful incursion, or potential challenges preventing completion of the assignment. Depending on the information coming back to us, it will determine our next course of action,” Hedy extrapolated. She was not being disingenuous when she said she understood the visceral need to barge in and take Tom back, it’s just she knew the potential consequences for brash action. As long as none of the other invested parties interfered, the team she hired would get the boy back, of that she harbored no doubt.