- Text Size +

Maternal Instincts

As requested, Ella put him along with his habitat on the bed in one of the unused rooms. He didn’t expect it would be too long before Lina strolled by to subtly ‘check in’ on him. Not that he would mind another go at her.

He was concerned about his grandfather, mind visiting the wealth of possibilities that could befall his ultimate namesake.

There was a light rap at the door. Looking up, he saw Lina standing in the doorway, smile on her face.

“May I come in?” she inquired.

“Sure,” he replied, motioning her into the room in case she hadn’t heard him.

Stepping into the room, she closed the door before coming over and sitting on the end of the bed, turning sideways and pulling a leg up to face him. Did she want him? Undoubtedly. The things this tiny young man made her feel were undeniable. So much so, she had actually explored legal means to steal him away from his mother. Here in Sweden, it would be easy to simply extend her hand and take him. There was very little if anything Raphaella could do to stop her but it was no longer about owning him, keeping him. He was so much more than that. Special. Not just because he was little, but simply for the influence he exuded and instilled in others. Not only had he survived her younger daughter in all her beautiful fury, he changed her in ways she did not think possible.

“Have you come to play?” he asked coyly.

Smiling, she shook her head no. It wasn’t that that had brought her here.

Walking over the surface of the blanket toward her, he sat down facing her, sitting cross-legged, “What then?”

“I just wanted to thank you,” she replied.

“I should be thanking you,” he chuckled, “if not for you, who knows where I might be right now?”

Lina laughed softly, folding her hands over her lap. “I don’t know how all of this is going to end, but I wanted to make sure I told you how I felt, how you’ve made me feel alive. The transformation you’ve brought about in Janine is absolutely phenomenal,” she complimented.

Thinking of how this all started with his infatuation for the blonde haired ice goddess and how now he was sure he loved her, made him smile.

Seeing his expression, Lina’s smile broadened, “And I think she’s had an effect on you too,” she added.

“True,” he admitted.

“I know you want to rush headlong into this and damn the consequences, but there are people who want to make sure it’s done right, myself, your mother, and Janine included. Let Helena do her job,” she urged.

“It’s not like I could compel her,” he chortled.

Arching an eyebrow, “I’m not so sure with you,” she accused, “you’re not as innocent as you look.”

“Little old me?” he asked, touching his right index finger to his chest.

“Little sly you,” she replied.

“Did you know you’re lawyer is a, how do I put this delicately?” he started, tapping the side of his head.

“Serena?” she queried, shaking her head. “Make no mistake about her, underneath that incredibly gorgeous wrapper is a relentless great white shark. Smarter than she is beautiful, even at your full size, I would put my money on her if it was between the two of you,” she shared.

Tom snorted in mock indignation. “I was going to say rhymes with twitch,” he stated.

Lina guffawed, “You would be so far in over your head with her,” she jested.

“I know, she told me. Turned me on a little,” he shared, giving her s sideways grin.

“Through all of this, you are still filled with such an infectious joie de vivre,” she stated.

“Be careful when using the word infectious when describing any aspect of a man, just saying,” he replied. He understood what she was doing to help him find a center within himself and it was working. There was no doubt in his mind the depth of his love for her, but it was different though no less than what he felt for her daughter. The bond between them would be special until the day he died. Would she let him do his thing if he were back to his normal self?

“Are you okay? You seemed to wander there a minute,” she inquired.

“Sorry,” he apologized, color touching his cheeks.

“For?” she inquired, cocking her head to the side.

“Nothing. I just hope to get some resolution to all of this soon. I think the waiting is worse than the uncertainty,” he opined.

“For all of us,” she replied, pulling her cell phone out of her pocket. “I bet you I have at least thirty text messages if not more requesting minute by minute updates,” she added, raising both eyebrows.

Tom grinned, “What can I say? I’m popular,” he boasted, though his tone was more jovial than serious.

There was another knock on the door before it opened and Tom’s mother peeked her head into the room. “Am I disturbing something?” she asked.

“No,” Lina replied, turning her head to smile at the other woman.

Stepping into the room, Ella crossed the floor and took a seat near the head of the bed, forcing Tom to turn to be able keep both immense women in view. “Your grandfather’s heart restarted itself and he has begun breathing on his own,” she advised, tone reassuring and mingled with relief.

“That’s great news,” Lina said, nodding her head.

Tom nodded his own head in agreement, “That is good news,” he vocalized.

“He’s not conscious yet, but your aunt is still sitting with him,” Ella explained.

Looking to his mother, “So does that mean we will be moving forward?” Tom inquired.

“I think so,” she replied softly, eyes bleeding concern for her only son.

Getting to his feet, he crossed the distance between them and pressed himself against the side of her leg, arms wide in a hug.