- Text Size +

Test 1

After reviewing all of the scientific information, Tom Sr. nodded. It was sound, theoretically. The only thing left to do was perform a trial run, except there could be no test run, no equivalent trial on another organism because there were only two shrunk people in the world, him and his grandson and be damned if he would let the boy shoulder the risk without trying it out first.

The set up for the test required two days of preparation ensuring complete diagnostics and calibrations were within acceptable operational parameters.

When the time arrived for the test, Lina and Ella both agreed Tom III should not be in attendance during the procedure in case something went awry with his grandfather. His protests to the contrary fell upon deaf ears and he was overruled. Tom Sr. chastised the women for trying to ‘mollycoddle’ the boy and that of everyone the boy’s investiture in the outcome of the test took precedence.

Relenting, Ella sat in the observation overlook, holding her son in her hands while Dr. Holmstrom personally carried Tom Sr. into the compression chamber and placed him on a 6”X6” square platform with multiple input leads and connecters built into it atop the stainless steel examination table. Next, she a lead to each of his extremities. Offering the little scientist a smile, she touched him reassuringly on the chest and positioned the overhead device above his frame.

Throwing a sour glance at Dr. Holmstrom’s retreating back, “The least you could have done was warm it up a little,” he grumbled.

Tapping the glass and shaking her head, “Stop bellyaching,” Dona scolded.

Looking at her through the glass, “Audaces fortuna iuvat,” he said with a sly grin and a wink.

Dona rolled her eyes and chuckled, “Yes, fortune does favor the bold,” she said. Face becoming more serious, she pressed her right hand back against the glass. “Buona fortuna.”

Positioning himself beneath the device above the the center of the table, he lay supine, shuddering. Turning his head to look up at Dona, “Luck? I don’t need luck, I have science.”

Exiting the chamber, Dr. Holmstrom sealed the door, pressurizing the room before moving to the control console. “Are you ready Thomas?” she inquired.

Tom Sr. laughed, “No, but let’s get on with the show,” he urged.

Eyes on the console’s computer terminal, Dr. Holmstrom swiped her hand across the screen. “Power to the device has been activated,” she advised.

The light above the observation windows lit up, glowing green.

Touching the screen again, “Safety protocols have been suspended,“ the doctor announced.

The light turned red and started flashing.

“Do I get a countdown or something?” Tom Sr. asked.

Looking up from her computer, “All systems are nominal and within acceptable ranges,” Freja assured.

Dr. Holmstrom smiled, “You want a countdown?” she inquired without bothering to look up.

“Would be nice,” Tom Sr. replied.

Extending her right hand, she held just off the screen and looked to Tom Sr., “Now,” she stated, initiating the test.

The device over the older Tom began to hum as it powered up, vibrant green crosshairs appearing on his mid

“Let’s do this!” Tom yelled.

“Energized,” announced a computerized feminine voice through the speakers.

Dr. Holmstrom started the test.

“Initialized, sequence engaged,” the computer generated voice broadcast.

Inside the sealed chamber, there was a series of a half dozen click, and then the sound of the system powering down.

“That was rather anticlimactic,” Tom Sr. verbalized, hands touching his stomach, rubbing at it absently.

“Do you feel anything?” Dr. Holmstrom inquired through her microphone.

Sitting up on the sterile table, elder tom shook his head and spread his hands, “Can’t say that I do,” he replied.

In the observation overlook, Tom III let out a sigh, tiny shoulders slumping.

“Che cos’è?” Ella inquired, turning her hand so her son was facing her.

Tom shrugged, “I don’t know, I, I thought maybe it would go differently, I’m not sure,” he replied, manufacturing a weak smile.

“It will take time to catalogue your cellular structure and initiate the process of molecular expansion. Do not be alarmed,” advised the doctor, tone confidant and reassuring.

“He will be alright, you will see,” Ella said, smiling at her son.

Inside the chamber, it started as a tingle, a warm spot in his midsection, like static electricity in the air. “The process has started,” he said, voice shaky, words slightly slurred.

Tom III pivoted on Ella’s hand to look back into the experiment chamber.

“Holy s-shit, it b-b-burns,” Tom Sr. cursed, little body shaking, the bones in his body beginning to glow and making him incandescent.

“Indicators are exceeding safe levels!” Freja called out, voice rising in pitch.

Glowing too bright to see, Tom Sr. began to scream.

Dona jumped to her feet, hands pressed against the glass, “Tom!”

“You should not see this,” Ella said, closing her hand around Tom and twisting to her side, pressing him against the side of her bosom.

“Thomas!” Dr. Holmstrom shouted into the mic, fingers moving rapidly across the screen of her command Surface.

In the observation booth, the glass went opaque, the sound abruptly cut off.

“No, no, no,” Dona yelled, violently slapping her the palm of her left hand against the milked out glass.

“Mom, you’re crushing me!” Tom wheezed as loudly as he could, pushing against the constricting hand holding

“Tom!” Dona shrieked, curling her hand into a fist and pounding it against the thick unyielding glass.

Feeling Tom III grow animated in her grip, Ella didn’t realize she was tightening her hold. Relaxing her fingers, she looked down to check on him.

“What’s happening?” he asked.

Ella shook her head, lip

Assaulting the glass producing no results, Dona swiftly moved to the door, flinging it open and hurrying out into the hall.

Lina looked from Ella to Tom, to the door closing in wake of Dona’s hasty departure, “I’ll see what’s going on,” she advised, getting to her feet.

Ella nodded sharply once.