- Text Size +

Airport Shuttle

Lina and Tom spent a few more intimate moments before adult responsibility kicked in and the moment spent as she needed to prepare to collect his mother from the airport.

“Run away with me,” he offered, arching the uninjured eyebrow.

She laughed, “Don’t tempt me,” she said. She could if she wanted to, though there would most certainly be a scandal, more than likely played out in the trashy tabloids. No, as much as she wanted to keep him, she wanted to make sure it was legit.

Making him presentable, Lina returned him to the sitting area where Janine, Cassidy, Tess, and Serena were assembled. A quirky smile touched the corner of her mouth watching the fascination on Serena’s face as she placed him on the table. Tom, little peacock that he was, made a little bow of entrance.

“Are you going to get Tess’s mother?” Janine asked.

Lina nodded, “I am also going to let Marta go for the day,” she advised.

Janine nodded, “Okay.”

Everything set, Lina gathered her things and went the front of the house just as the limousine was pulling into her drive. She selected to use a car service, getting a limo to collect Raphaella.

During the drive out to the airport, she debated on the best possible strategy to try and invite the other woman to her point of view but her session with Tom had left her somewhat frazzled. How had he been able to do those things? The boy would have no idea how close she had been to taking him up on his offer to run away.

Arriving at the smallish airport, wealth hath its privileges and Lina was allowed to have the limo parked near the edge of the tarmac as the BioDyne Lear jet carrying Tom’s mother landed and taxied over.

Climbing out of the car, she pulled her jacket closer against the chill in the wind and put a welcoming smile on her face as the plane pulled to a stop and the door opened.

The first to step out of the plane was Tom’s aunt, Donatella da la Riva, attired in a patterned royal blue Florentino dress and sable lined jacket. Next was Raphaella, clad more appropriately for the weather in slacks, boots, and seasonal jacket.

It took her a moment to recognize the last person to deplane. He was elderly, pale but still quite handsome in that silver fox kind of way and walking with the assistance of a cane in his left hand. It was the grin on his face that cinched it for her, Cheshire and full of mischief. How she knew that smile so well. The aged man could be none other than Thomas Wentworth Sr. Word was Tom Sr. had vanished into seclusion a few years back. Why had Ella brought him chosen to bring along? She hadn’t made provisions for three guests at the house but there was plenty enough room to accommodate other guests.

Beaming grin on her face, Lina!” Donatella exclaimed, hurrying over with quick shuffling steps and throwing long arms around her and kissing either cheek.

Hugging the tall lean woman back, “Dona, my goodness you are as beautiful as ever,” Lina complimented. It wasn’t a lie, the younger woman was just as startlingly beautiful as she remembered.

Breaking the embrace, Dona turned and extended a hand back toward the woman following her. “Lina, this is my sister Raphaella, Ella, Ella this is Her Highness Princess Karolina, Lina,” she introduced with a broad smile.

Ella leaned in and shared a similar hug as Donatella, though more perfunctory, “A pleasure,” she said, smiling.

“The pleasure is all mine,” Lina replied, eyes drifting to the man still approaching.

Lagging slightly behind, Tom Sr. moved slowly, relying heavily on the cane to support him as he walked up and unleashed that marvelous smile upon her, “Tom,” he said, extending his right hand.

It was obvious looking at Raphaella that both Tom and Tess inherited their appearances from the matrilineal side of the family, except for that damnable smile. Reaching out, she took his hand. Though his hand trembled some, his grip was firm, “Lina,” she replied.

“Charmed,” he said suavely.

Lina smiled inwardly, the boy definitely got it naturally. “Please,” she said, releasing Tom Sr.’s hand and motioning toward the car.

In the back of the limo, Dona and Tom Sr. sat on the bench at the front, while Lina and Ella sat at the one in the rear while they waited for the luggage to be loaded into the trunk.

 “How was the flight?” Lina inquired to no one in particular as she closed the door.

“Good,” Tom Sr. replied, seated across from her, hands resting on the cane.

Facing the aging man, Lina smiled, “Though delighted, I must confess my surprise to see you here today sir,” Lina said.

Flicking a glance in Donatella’s direction, he smiled that same damn irrepressible smile, “I’ve been cooped up for a while now so I figured it would be good to get back out in this great big world of ours,” he said before flashing Lina a wink.

Dona laughed and patted his knee affectionately. There was something there, something between them, a familiarity.

Smiling, Lina turned her head to the side and looked to Ella, “I don’t know how much discussion about the situation you have chosen to share or disclose,” she stated, shrugging her shoulders.

Ella nodded, “My sister and father-in-law are both cognizant of the situation,” she said, voice curt, though not impolite.

Lina presumed the businesslike tone was anxiety in preparation for seeing her child, “Good,” she said, nodding and smiling back at Dona and Tom Sr. opposite. The much younger woman kept her hand on the old man’s knee which she found kind of odd. What was there between them? Aside from probably forty years?

“Tom, he is fine and at your house?” Ella asked.

Lina nodded, “Both Tom and Tess are at the house awaiting our return,” she replied, smiling, “and yes, he is doing well,” she assured, hoping to assuage the other woman’s concern.

“Molta buona,” she replied, nodding.

“Given the uniqueness of the situation, as I indicated on the telephone, I have taken the liberty of preparing some space in my home for the duration of your stay,” Lina informed.

“You are very gracious,” Ella said, nodding.

The balance of the trip they traveled in silence, pulling into the drive.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Two mothers, two agendas, one Tom