- Text Size +

Business Before Pleasure

Carefully collecting Tom in her hand, a smile swept across Lina’s face. In all the hustle and bustle, she had forgotten how incredibly electric he felt against her bare skin. Retreating upstairs to her bedroom, she closed the door and took a seat on the bed, setting him down atop the duvet.

He flashed his dangerous smile, “I forgot how sexy you were,” he said mischievously.

Chuckling, she shook her head. “You are a bad boy,” she accused. “But, there a few things I would like to talk to you about before your mother arrives, just so we’re all on the same page.”

Nodding, he approached the side of her leg near her knee, gripping the folded fabric of her slacks to clamber up. “I don’t think anyone is going to be pressing any lawsuits or initiating any type of litigation if that’s what you’re worried about,” he assured, spreading his hands.

“Oh, Serena, no, she’s not here for that,” Lina replied.

“But she is a lawyer. I’m out of order? You’re out of order! This whole goddamn place is out of order!” Tom barked, making flourishing gestures with his arms

Rolling her eyes at his youthful display, “Yes she is an attorney. I’ve had Serena draft a release and a temporary transfer of custody document for the purpose of medical intervention for your mother to sign. You see, I have been in touch with a doctor from back in Sweden who is on the cusp of the technology required to restore you to your former stature,” she announced, smiling broadly.

“Really?” Tom asked, eyes growing wide. “Restored?”

Lina nodded slowly. “The day I found you here in my room, I started making some discreet inquiries to get the ball rolling,” she said.

“I don’t know what to say,” he shared.

“I would like for you to help me convince your mother to place you into my care for the purpose of going to Sweden to the Gustafson Institute for the experimental procedure. Of course, I will make any and all of the necessary arrangements for her to be able to accompany us,” she explained, nodding affirmatively.

“I could be tall again?” he mumbled, voice barely audible. He had almost given hope of ever being himself again. Could it actually be true? He knew she had her own agenda, but she seemed sincere and genuine. That being said, he reminded himself that she was a Lindholm. It would be incredible to be himself again. He wondered how much different his outlook on the world would be back at his normal height.

“Be forewarned, Helena said there are no guarantees, but so far all of the preliminary trials are looking promising she said,” Lina stated.

“Helena?” He queried, lifting the eyebrow over his unhurt eye. “Who is Helena?”

“Sorry, Dr. Holmstrom, she is a very close personal friend and currently the director for the research and development department at Gustafson. She’s very nice and knowing you, I’m sure you’ll get along splendidly with her,” she offered with a warm smile. Blond hair, blue eyes, yes Tom would get along with just fine.

Nodding slowly, contemplative expression on his face, “I am curious about one thing, I mean, if my mother can come along as you suggested, why the need for the release and the foxy lawyer lady?” he inquired, sitting down cross legged atop her thigh.

Letting out a small sigh, “I’ll be honest, this is still in the experimental phases and there are unknown variables and if something were to go awry, you could die,” she said solemnly. “As your legal guardian your mother would be required to consent to the treatment. The custodial transfer is so that we can skip the bureaucratic red tape and expedite the treatment,” she extrapolated.

“Die? Oh,” he acknowledged, elongating the ‘o’ sound. It was kind of funny being this small, how he had  to readjust his thinking to adapt to a whole new world where ordinary everyday things became potentially lethal. He could have died when Miss Harwood nearly stepped on him, coming out of the shower or Jessica when dropped him during her failed abduction, or Janine when swallowed him. He was no stranger to peril and the prospect of death. It wasn’t that he was unafraid to die, rather he was possessed of that sense of invulnerability and immortality bestowed upon the young and foolhardy. If he could be normal again, he would certainly pause to stare death in the face and give it a shot.

“That’s why Serena is here, to make everyone understands what is at stake, the risks involved, but most of all I wanted you to know we were paring no expense to try and find a remedy for you,” she said softly, a small smile touching her lips as she recollected the slack jawed look on the lawyer’s face as she gawped at Tom.

He seemed to be thinking again, nodding to himself, “I’ll do it,” he affirmed, trusting her and allowing hope to rekindle.

Lina grinned and nodded, “I thought you might feel that way,” she said, a measure of relief in her tone. With Tom advocating the ‘plan’, it increased the likelihood Raphaella would accept it and agree to sign the documents

Tom chuckled capriciously, “And here I thought you just making up a random reason to get me alone so we could say goodbye in a very special way,” he replied, green eyes glittering as his impish smile appeared.

Lina laughed, a pleasant melodic sound, “Oh no, it was certainly my hope we would get to share a few intimate moments before your mother arrives,” she clarified, cerulean eyes locked on him as she drew her bottom lip seductively into her mouth.

It was obvious she had made an effort to look nice and he presumed it was more for him than for his mother. Grinning, he nodded slowly and winked at her, “I’ve missed you,” he said.

Scooping him delicately off her leg, she set him back down on the bed, “And I you my little one,” she replied throatily.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter, Tom and Lina get reacquainted...