- Text Size +

Law Lady             

Serena Hall sat in the seat of the Lindholm private jet, closing the surface on her lap as the plane landed. Again, Lina had been somewhat vague and cryptic in her direction other than to attend her in person. She suspected it had something to do in relation to the previous queries Lina had instructed her to pursue. While she had compiled a series of legally supported arguments specific to the query assigned to her, though without a broader understanding of context, she knew it was weak. Deplaning, there was a car waiting right on the tarmac for the lady lawyer.

Climbing into the backseat, the knot of anxiety in her stomach tightened. Why was she being summoned?

The car took her to the private Lindholm residence where she was greeted by a woman identifying herself as Marta and escorted her directly to an office on the upper floor of the house.

Getting her material ready, Serena didn’t have to wait long before Lina arrived.

Stepping into the room, Lina smiled at the dark haired litigator, “Let me thank you for responding to my request so expeditiously,” she said, motioning for Serena to remain seated while she circled around to the other side of the desk.

Smiling, “Of course Lina,” she acknowledged, addressing her employer informally.

“First off, I need to emphasize this business is strictly personal and separate from Lindholm Global. Of course you will provide me assurances all conversations and interactions are protected under attorney-client confidentiality?” she asked.

Serena nodded, “Yes of course, but if you want my best advice, you need to cut the shit and level with me,” she stated back.

Lina leaned back and smiled, “Yes, you’re right,” she said, reaching into her pocket and producing an ornate looking figurine of a man about three inches tall. Holding it between her thumb and forefingers for the lawyer to see, she leaned forward and stood it upright on the bureau before leaning back in the leather chair and crossing her arms, eyes on Serena.

Serena looked down at the little piece of sculpted stone then back to the woman, pursing her lips and lifting an eyebrow in askance.

“Let me preface this by saying what I am about to reveal is not some gaff or jest. The information I am going to share with you will require you to suspend your belief systems until such time as you have the benefit of witnessing him yourself,” Lina asserted.

Serena nodded, curiosity piqued by Lina’s opening remarks.

“You see the chess piece on the desk?” Lina asked, nodding to it.

“Of course,” Serena replied.

“Now imagine if it were a living breathing person,” she instructed.

“Sorry?” Serena queried.

Lina smiled, “Imagine a person that size, or more precisely, imagine a boy inadvertently caught in an accident that left him thus,” she added.

“Okay.”

“Thomas Wentworth the third,” Lina stated.

“Wait a minute, what?” Serena asked, arching an inquisitive eyebrow.

Lina nodded, “You asked me about young Thomas Wentworth III,” she repeated.

“Are you then suggesting that young Mr. Wentworth is the same as that knight, like turned to stone?” she asked, careful to maintain a neutral expression on her face.

“I’m not suggesting, I’m stating that a few week ago, Tom was exposed to some type of device that shrank him to that size, of course he wasn’t petrified or some such,” she explained.

“But,” Serena started, though she was cut off by Lina’s raised hand.

“I told you it would sound incredulous,” stated the older woman. “Now, operating off the assumption that what I say is true, let’s proceed.”

Serena curtailed the litany of questions on her tongue. First off, it couldn’t be true. There was no possible way someone could actually shrink. Was this maybe a test of some type? Some absurd information to see if she could be trusted? “Okay,” she agreed, “moving forward on the supposition of what you say is true, there are some additional things I need to know. Was the ‘accident’ in question the result of negligent or tortious behavior, malfeasance on your part?”

“No,” Lina answered.

“So, if I’m putting the fragments together properly, based your previous line of query coupled with the stipulated conditions, and unless I miss my mark, you want custody or guardianship for the boy?” she inquired, opening a palm toward the chess piece.

“You are very astute,” Lina complimented.

Serena let out a long slow breath before chuckling. “A situation like this presents some very unique legal challenges,” she said, looking at the figurine.

“Which is why you are here,” Lina stated. “Not to overly complicate this, but the boy’s mother will be here tomorrow to collect him,” she added.

Leaning forward and putting her elbows on the table, Serena brought her hands together, interlocking her fingers. “You’re serious,” she said, chuckling as she cocked her head.

“Vey,” Lina replied.

“There’s a miniaturized boy running around here somewhere?” she asked, dryly.

“No,” Lina said, shaking her head. “He is currently in the care of another but will be delivered here tomorrow,” she clarified.

Serena paused. What was the game? Getting her to fly in on a moment’s notice? It obvious wasn’t true. “The idea of a shrunken boy sounds a bit farfetched, but the solution would be to simply have the mother transfer guardianship or custodial rights over to you,” she replied, reaching out and taking the little figure and rolling it around in her hand.

Lina chuckled, “You still think I’m joking,” she stated, amused expression on her face.

Serena looked at her employer, holding the little figurine by its base, “Let’s just say I’m somewhat skeptical of the current level of technology being able to shrink someone,” she replied.

Lina laughed softly, not mocking, “He is going to turn you inside out with that cheeky little smile of his,” she mused.

Setting the playing piece back on the table, Serena smiled and shrugged her shoulders, “I guess we shall see.”

“In the interim, I want you to draft me up the transfer document you mentioned,” Lina said, rising from her feet. “Marta will see to whatever you need for the duration of your stay here.”

Looking up at Lina, “Why?” Serena asked. “Why do you want this boy?”

That knowing smile crept onto Lina’s face, “If we are successful in this, I’ll get him to show you why,” she answered, chuckling as she left the room.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please feel free to leave a comment, review or feedback. thanks.