- Text Size +
Rylie and Vandana reached the old family cabin. Vandana was deep in her past thoughts and Rylie caught her attention,
"Hey! Do you want to put me down? I want to get your surrpise." She smiled.
Vandana slowly bent down to let Rylie walk off her hand. Rylie ran into the cabin and took a few moments to find her surprise. Vandana sat with her legs crossed, tapping her fingers against the ground. She was a little on edge in case Ava would return and see them there. She wasn't too worried. She glanced at the clouds above her and noticed an eeire gray coming. "Storm is coming. We should get back soon." Vandana said bluntly. "Coming!!" Rylie yelled back. Rylie skipped out of the cabin with a large sized teddy bear in her hands, maybe 3-4 feet. She raised herr arms up and said, "Take this. This is my little guy who made my nights better. Whenever I was sad he would always comfort me. His name is Tigs." Vandana looked down at the bear, it was big enough to fit in between her index and thumb. She hesitated to take it but did with a sweet smile. It was a kind gesture. She laid her hand out for Rylie, but Rylie stood back and gave her a funny look.
"What?"
"I don't want to ride on your hand back to the cave. I'd rather ride on your shoulder is that's ok?"
" I suppose you can. Better hang on to my hair or something, don't want you falling to your death."
Vandana gently picked up Rylie and placed her on top of her right shoulder, close to her neck. She glanced over to see Rylie content where she was and made her way towards the cave. While walking back the wind picked up and started howling around Vandana's torso and shoulders. Rylie became cold and shivered with every gust that blew against her tiny body. Vandana turned against the wind so her body was taking the force of it, but it didn't stop Rylie from shivering. She cupped her hands around Rylie and gave Tigs back to her to hold. Rylie was confused at her action, but didn't say anything. She tucked her body inside Vandana's palms and waited to get home. Bright flashes and cracks of thunder startled Rylie, she wasn't fond of thunderstorms. The rumbling of the thunder shook her bones and she hugged her bear tighter.
*CRACK* *Wood snapping and crashing*
All of a sudden her closed shelter crashed and shook with such fiercness, she fell out of Vandana's hands and into the mud face first. Dizzy and nervous she looked up to see Vandana crouched over holding her side. A demolished tree had split in half and fallen on her, with a wood chunk sticking from her waist.
"Aahh! ugh! one... two... three.. GAAH!!" Vandana removed the wood chunk and kealed over with pain breathing deeply and trying to calm herself.
"What can I do??" Rylie pleaded
"Just give me a minute, I'll be fine."
Rylie paced back and forth as she watched Vandana just sit there on her hands and knees trying to bear with the pain. Vandana stood up quickly and began grabbing chunks of the broken tree and smashing into further pieces. She grabbed a large part of the trunk and tossed it somewhere back behind them. She was destroying the surrounding trees clearing a large opening. Knocking down healthy trees, punching them once to tumble down into splinters. "Argh! Why! I protect you and you do this to me!" Vandana yelled at the forest. Before another thing could happen Vandana grabbed Rylie rather roughly and went onward to the cave. Rylie was uncomfortable in her grip but was too frightened to say anything. She felt her lungs struggle for air and her hips begin to bruise. Her head was hurting from the fall before but she would wait until Vandana was calm. As each tree they passed Vandana glared angrily at each and watcehed to see if any would fall on her again. Her grip was becoming tighter and tighter and Rylie was losing her breathe.
"Vandana... please. Could you..." Rylie went limp.
"No, no, no, no! What have I done??" Vandana uncoiled her fist and let Rylie lay flat. She was so worried she severely hurt her. "Oh god, no, no, no. Please be okay!"
Vandana began running to reach the cave. The rain was pounding against her face and she tried her best to keep Rylie covered and dry but with little accomplishment. she saw her cave and immediately gently placed Rylie on her piles of animals skins and built a rather large fire. The wind howled outside with the trees swaying with its force.
"Shut up I know!!" Vandana yelled at the trees. "She'll be ok!"
She wrapped Rylie in some skins and gingerly rubbed the mud off her face. Her head had a small gash and was bleeding. Her fingers were too big to bandage the wound and she was too scared of hurting her little one even more. She laid down on her side and cradled Rylie close to her chest. She placed Tigs right next to her and held gently the the bundle of skins that wrapped Rylie inside. Vandana's back was facing the outisde of the cave, sheltering the fire and Rylie from the storm. Her waist didn't hurt anymore, she was too concerned with Rylie's safety. Rylie felt warm and soft fur around her, she thought she was home back in her bed with her thousand blankets she called a nest. She opened her eyes softly and saw the cave and Tigs. She looked up and saw she was by Vandana's chest. She could hear Vandana sobbing and whispering "Please be okay" over and over again.
She reached her hand towards her pounding head and felt the cut along her brow, its gonna hurt but she didn't mind. it was an accident and she supposed Vandana's temper was too. She removed her arm from the blankets and placed her hand on Vandana's thumb and tickled it sweetly. Vandana could feel Rylie's body scrimming underneath the heap of blankets and her tiiny hand on her thumb. She didn't want to move and ruin the moment.
"I'm so sorry little one. Are you ok? I am terribly sorry, I did not realize what I had done to you." She gently squeezed Rylie with love.
"I'm ok. You scared me back in the woods... I didn't want to say anything to make you more upset. I'm glad you're calm now. Can we sleep please? I don't feel like talking."
"Of course little one." Vandana curled her body around Rylie, making a cirlce of flesh and warmth. Vandana worried she may have scared her too much, she was scared she would lose her little love. Her mind was racing and she was restless on the inside, but on the outside her demanor was calm and collected. Rylie could hear her steady heartbeat and her warm breaths breezed over her head. She felt safe for now, but she was frightened of what Vandana could accidently or purposely do to her. She wandered off into her dreams to distance her fears. Her subconscious dreamt of Ava and returning to her. Rylie shed a tear in her heartbreak for Ava. How she wished they could've been together, how Ava should've been kinder to her. At the end of the day, it was just a dream.
Ava was driving rapidly through the mountains trying to beat the storm from blowing her off the road. The rain was coming down so hard that she thought the ocean was coming down from the sky. She struggled to see out the windshield, even with the wipers on full speed. She pulled off to the side of the road to wait out the storm, she didn't want to risk her life. The radio was out, all she heard was static. She pulled out the whiskey from underneath the seat and took sigs here and there. She thought of the giant and what her plan would be to kill the beastly thing. She thought of Rylie and where she could possibly be, with the giant or not with it, who knows. She heard the rumbles of thunder echo through the trees, but also something else. She felt the truck shake violently for a moment then it was silent, then BOOM!!! A huge tree trunk landed in the middle of the road! Cracking the pavement and shattered into wood pieces scattered across the narrow highway.
"Holy crap...." Ava said aloud. One guess as the where that could've come from. She knew what she was going to do, wait for the rain to pass and track down that monster. She looked down at her casted arm and glared deeply into the woods.
"I'm going to find you. Then we will see who is the biggest and baddest."