- Text Size +

The Proposition

The woman was dressed very professionally in a dark colored woman’s suit, white blouse underneath, standing 5’8” thanks to a pair of black leather shoes with three inch heels. She appeared thirtyish, attractive, dirty blonde hair pulled and professionally styled, a small attache in hand.

“My name is Georgia Hawthorne, I am the Director of Research and Development for BioDyne Technologies, here under the auspices of Mr. Harrison Kinsley, one of our co-founders,” she said by way of introduction, extending her right hand toward Olivia and favoring her with a smile.

“Dr. Olivia Featherstone,” replied the doctor accepting the hand and giving it a shake. “Please, come in. Won’t you have a seat?” she asked walking back toward her office, opening her hand to the seat vacated by Sophie as she sat behind her desk.

“Thank you,” replied Georgia, following and depositing herself in the chair.

“BioDyne,” Olivia said, smile on her face and a slow nod of approval. Big fish as far as she was concerned.

Georgia smiled, “We received your prospectus and grant application for continued research,” she informed, setting her small attache case on the desk.

“I must confess your appearance here in response to my request is incredibly fast,” she said. “Unusually so.”

“Mr. Kinsley himself has informed me he has been following this particular research project, and was somewhat dismayed to hear of the project’s dissolution,” Georgia said politely.

Olivia shrugged, “I felt there was still some significant potential to be harvested from the raw data warranting further investigation,” she explained.

The business woman nodded, “Of course. You outlined your aims in the prospectus. Aside from yourself, Mr. Kinsley was also quite impressed with the achievements of Dr. Elliot Sommers and wanted to inquire whether or not the esteemed doctor would be attached to the project?”

Pursing her mouth, Olivia nodded slowly, “I am hopeful,” she replied with a smile.

The other woman returned the smile, “Excellent, Mr. Kinsley will be pleased with the possibility. He is delighted you will be continuing to develop the research based on preliminary findings of the project here. He personally reviewed the information and directed me here with a proposal for your consideration,” she advised, pulling out a legal sized manila file folder from her case and handing it to Olivia.

“May I?” asked the doctor, looking down at the folder.

Georgia smiled and nodded, “Please do,” she encouraged.

Opening the folder, she began to leaf through the pages. The first half dozen sheets of paper were the legal speak elements typical to any proposal, including confidentiality agreements, disclosure, and proprietary rights of intellectual properties.

As she leafed through the pages, Olivia found the meat of the proposal was phenomenal. Fully funded state of the art research lab with full operational governance and limited oversight. In essence, she would be in charge with access to significant resources with which to develop the technology. Leaning back in her ergonomic seat, she let out a whistle and smiled. “This is a very nice offer,” she said with a chuckle.

Georgia smiled and nodded. “Mr. Kinsley hoped it conveyed his faith and support in your research as well as his desire to provide you the tools and facilities with which to properly develop it,” she stated. Indeed, her mandate was simple, get the contract. The old man had made it plain and clear, secure the technology, the author of the research whatever the cost.

“It certainly does,” acknowledged Olivia. It was more than she might have hoped for without the reputation of Dr. Brauer to secure the funding.

“Further, Mr. Kinsley requests should you receive any other offers prior to your acceptance of this one, that please advise my office as he would like an opportunity to match,” she added.

Olivia couldn’t believe it. The proposal on the table was everything she ever wanted, practically unlimited resources, autonomy.

“Please allow me to add,” Georgia included, “I have been with Mr. Kinsley for four years and have never seen him so aggressively pursue a property,” she said.

“I would like some time to further review the offer and discuss it with my research assistants and other members of the team,” she advised.

“Of course,” Georgia replied. Closing the flap on her case. “You have my card. I am available at any time should your required some clarification on any of the points contained in the offer,” she stated, rising to her feet.

Following suit, Olivia rose and extended her hand, “A pleasure Miss Hawthorne,” she said, unable to keep the grin from her face as her brain tumbled possibilities around the inside of her head like clothing in a dryer.

“Likewise Doctor,” replied Georgia, shaking Olivia’s hand before exiting from the lab.

After the woman from BioDyne had departed, Olivia brought Sophie and Grace together in her office to share the results of the meeting.

“Pure and simple, this is it,” she said. “This proposal is everything we could want.”

“Wow,” Grace said, nodding her head.

“I think we seriously need to consider Dr. Sommers proposition,” Sophie suggested, residual color in her cheeks from Ted’s efforts. “His recent developments might prove crucial to our efforts.”

Olivia nodded slowly, Sophie was right. “I agree. If he can do what he claims, this will take us to the next level.”

Grace nodded her agreement.

“So if we are going to unshrink someone, we’ll need to recalibrate everything and use a test subject,” she proposed.

“Dr. Sommers?” offered Grace.

Olivia shook her head, “He’s far too valuable to take such a risk. Something goes awry and we lose him, we’ve lost the technology. Personally, I was thinking we try on Bryce,” she said.

Sophie frowned. “He’s probably not going to be overly friendly once he is restored,” she said.

“True enough,” conceded the doctor.

“Ted or Clayton,” countered Sophie.

The three women exchanged looks before Olivia nodded, “Ted is less essential to the project,” she surmised. “And we still have Theo as leverage.”

“That’s as long as Dr. Sommers is willing to part with the information with only an assurance he won’t be double-crossed,” Sophie interjected.

Olivia nodded, “True enough, either way though, I say we take the offer on the table,” she added. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please feel free to review, comment, or leave feedback, it is always helpful and greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!