- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
There's not a lot of action in this chapter. It does have necessary plot information though. The next one should make up for it. Please enjoy and leave a review! Your reviews keep me writing.
Goin' Down: Chapter 7

Weston tucked his motorcycle helmet under his arm as he jogged up the stairs to the third floor of the apartment building. The note Rose had given him said the client lived on this floor, apartment 3F. It only took a few minutes of searching for him to find the right place. He rapped his knuckles on the door three times and waited for an answer. A middle-aged, blonde haired woman answered the door.

" Yes? " she asked.

" Are you Mrs. Miller? "

" Yes, I am. Who are- Oh! You must be Mr. Killian! I'm sorry. I didn't expect you to be quite so young. Please, come in. " she said fully opening the door.

" Thank you. "

Wes entered the apartment and turned back to Mrs. Miller, quickly scanning the place while he did. The apartment was pretty spacious with multiple rooms, some he couldn't even see from the living room.

" They definitely got money. " he thought to himself.

" You can put your helmet on the table there. " she said pointing to a table by the door.

Wes did as she said. Mrs. Miller sat down on an armchair and gestured to the couch.

" Have a seat. Thank you for coming, Mr. Killian. I really appreciate it. "

" It's no problem, ma'am. And please just Wes is fine. So, if I may ask, how are you certain your daughter just ran away? That there aren't more... nefarious purposes behind her disappearance? " he asked sitting across from her.

" Tabatha left a note saying she was running away. It said not to try to find her and that she would be safe. I couldn't just accept that though. I called the police, but they said there wasn't much they could do because of her age and being a runaway. Tabatha's almost twenty years old. She's a smart girl too, but I'm worried about her. I just want to know if she's okay. " Mrs. Miller explained starting to become teary-eyed.

" I understand, ma'am. I'd worry too. If you don't mind, I'd like to see Tabatha's note when we're done talking. "

" Okay. "

" Now, do you have any idea where she might go? A friends place or somewhere she likes to hang out? "

" There are a few places. I've checked out most of them myself. Called her friends parents. No one has seen her and I didn't find her either... There is one person I haven't talked to yet. "

" Who would that be? "

" Marissa Arnold... Tabatha's ex-girlfriend. They broke up a couple weeks ago. Tabatha was really upset about it. I'd be willing to bet she knows something. " Mrs. Miller said staring at the floor.

" Oh... Alright. Do you think I could get a list of those places with addresses and numbers? They might be worth checking out again. And Marissa's address. "

" I'm afraid I don't have her address. Tabatha secretly dated Marissa. I didn't even know about it until recently. I have no idea where she lives. "

" Crap. Guess I'll have to do without it for now. Do you have a recent picture of Tabatha that I could borrow? I'll give it back when the investigation is over. "

" Yes. I assumed you would ask for one. This was taken a few months back. Her hair is a bit longer, but she looks pretty much the same. She's about 5'5. "

Mrs. Miller handed him a picture. The picture was of a cute, young blonde girl with blue eyes. Wes guessed it was a school ID picture.

" Thanks. Is it possible for me to see Tabatha's room? Maybe I can find some clue as to where she went. " Wes asked standing up.

" Yes. It's down that hall. First room on the left. I'll make that list while you're looking. "

" I appreciate it. "

Wes put the photo of Tabatha in his notebook while he walked down the hall. He pushed open the door and inspected the room. There wasn't anything unusual about it. A bookcase, a desk with a computer, a bed, and a nightstand. Wes decided to try the computer first. He sat in the chair and booted up the computer.

" Of course. Locked. " he thought when it asked for a password.

Not wanting to admit defeat quite yet, he started searching the desk drawers. In the very bottom drawer on the right side, a folded up piece of paper was in the corner. There were a few other odds and ends in the drawer, but the paper seemed out of place. Wes unfolded and read the paper. One thing was written on it: " Marissa10493 ".

" No way. Couldn't be. "

He typed the weird code into the computer and it opened! Still in disbelief that he'd found the password, he opened up the browser to look at the history.

" Nothing unusual here either. Social media sites and email. Let's try email. "

He was once again asked for a password.

" She wouldn't use the same password for two things, would she? "

He tried the password a second time. Tabatha's email started to load.

" Wow. "

Wes opened up her inbox. Like most, it was full of spam and other random emails. One of the more recent ones caught his attention though. It was a conversation between Tabatha and someone called 'The Candy Man'. It seemed like 'The Candy Man' was some kind of drug dealer. They hadn't talked for a couple days, but the last time they did they set up a meeting for her to buy a large amount of the drug.

" This 'Candy Man' has gotta know something about where Tabatha is. If not, I can use him to find her. "

Wes wrote down 'The Candy Man's' email address. He gave the rest of the room a once over, but found nothing helpful. As he walked back into the living room, he almost ran right into Mrs. Miller.

" Oh, Mr. Killian! I was just coming to give you these. " she said handing him two pieces of paper.

" Thank you. I'm done in there. I found some useful clues. "

" Really? Excellent. Is there anything else you need? "

" No, I have what I'll need. I'm going to go back to my office and get started. "

" I can't thank you enough for coming. I didn't think anyone was going to help me... "

" You're welcome, Mrs. Miller. I will do everything I can to find your daughter. Don't worry. " Wes said putting a hand on her shoulder.

Mrs. Miller nodded silently.

" I'll call you if there are any developments. "

" Alright. "

Wes grabbed his helmet and exited the apartment. This case had turned out to be more difficult than he thought it would be. Thankfully, he already had a plan to draw out the Candy Man. He was going to need some things first and time...

.:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:.

" Wallace! Get in here! " Lieutenant Bishop yelled opening the door to his office.

Wallace sighed and got up from his desk. The Amatrax case wasn't fairing any better. Colin had called earlier in the day with some new information. Apparently, there were a few minutes of surveillance footage missing from the night of the heist. Someone had gone in and deleted the five or so minutes before the cameras were shut off for some cameras inside the building. The cameras that lead to the surveillance room.

Colin said he had tried to retrieve the footage, but there was no way. This information only raised another question for Wallace. Why would Watkins erase footage from before he shut off the cameras? It made no sense. And now Bishop was probably going to give him crap about the case.

As he walked into the lieutenant's office, Bishop closed the door behind him.

" We have a problem, Wallace. " Bishop said sitting down behind his desk.

Bishop was an old bastard, older even than Wallace. He'd been at the precinct when Wallace first arrived and never left. They had always been on relatively good terms throughout the years, but he would still yell at him like any other rookie. He was slightly overweight and of average height. His gray hair was balding at an ever increasing rate and he had a thick, bushy mustache. Bishop was wearing a white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a black tie.

" What is it, sir? "

" Someone tipped off the media about the robbery at Amatrax. "

" Shit, really? "

" Yes. Now all the news stations are going to be poking their noses into our case trying to find out whatever they can. Amatrax isn't happy. I told them the leak didn't come from us, but they aren't having it. "

" I'm sure the leak didn't come from us, sir. We only have a small team working the case and I trust them. "

" I know, Wallace. I wouldn't have put them on this case if I didn't too. All I'm trying to tell you is we need to be careful with who we give information on the case. From now on you and your team need to keep a tight lid on your investigation. "

" I understand, sir. "

" Alright. You can go. We need something solid to go on, Wallace. Especially with journalists snooping around. I'm counting on you. "

" We will do our best, sir. "

Wallace got up and left the office.

" Great. This just got even worse. " he sighed sitting in his chair.


He seriously needed something, anything, to go on.

" Dammit. "

Wallace knit his fingers behind his head, leaning back in his chair.

.:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:.

Max lay on his couch with some music playing on the computer. He couldn't stop thinking about the events of last night. He had tried to play a game and when that failed he watched TV for awhile, but nothing helped. The image of Sarah's gigantic soles dominated his thoughts. Max was sure fantasizing wouldn't cut it anymore. Now that he'd actually lived out his fantasies, nothing less could even compare.

" I'm going to have to do it again. There's no doubt about that. But how? I came up with an excuse for shrinking once. How am I going to explain it a second time? I'll have to think of something by tomorrow night. Maybe if I- "

Max was interrupted by someone knocking on his door. He had no idea who it could be this late at night. He definitely wasn't expecting anyone. On his way to the door he stopped the music. Standing on his tiptoes, he looked through the peephole. It was Sarah! What did she want?! Max's heart began to beat very quickly.

" Okay. Calm down, Max. She's probably just here to check on you. That's all. "

Sarah knocked on the door again. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door.

" Hey, Sarah... What's up? " he asked nervously.

Sarah was wearing a black, long sleeve shirt and jeans. A pair of black Converse's were on her feet. Her hair was still in a pony tail.

" Hey. I wanted to come see how you were doing. Any side effects of whatever those guys gave you? "

" Not that I can tell. I've been considering getting a check-up done just in case. Thanks for taking care of me by the way. I really appreciate it. I'll have to make it up to you someday. "

" Don't worry about it. You know I thought everything that happened last night was all a crazy dream when I woke up this morning. That'd make things a lot easier to accept. "

" Yeah. You're telling me. "

" Do you think we should tell someone about it? A doctor? The news? I mean this is a pretty revolutionary drug. "

" I doubt anyone would believe us. It does sound pretty crazy. As long as there aren't any side effects, I'm perfectly happy with acting like the whole thing never happened. "

" Seriously? You aren't the slightest bit curious? "

" Of course. Who wouldn't be? But I'm not gonna be four inches tall for the rest of my life and that's all that matters. "

" Fair enough. Well, I'm glad you're okay. Try not to get injected with strange drugs anymore. Good night, short stuff. " Sarah said walking back to her apartment.

" Haha, no promises. Night, Sarah. " Max called after her.

He shut the door and leaned on it. His mind started to race a mile a minute.

" First things first. I gotta get more of that drug. " he thought going to the computer.