- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello everybody! I apologize for the long wait. Things have been hectic lately. In this chapter, Max has a rough morning and Weston solves one case while digging deeper into another. This chapter is mainly plot stuff, but the next should have some action. Hope you enjoy!
Goin' Down: Chapter 10

Max awoke at full size once again. He was lying in an awkward position on Sarah's couch. Every time he went to sleep small, he worried he would wake up still tiny. It hadn't happened yet, but who knew what the long term effects of the drug were?

" I shouldn't think like that... I'm gonna jinx myself. " he thought sitting up.

The door to Sarah's room was still closed. Worried that it would open at any moment, Max got up to find his clothes. Once again they were folded on a table chair. He pulled on his clothes piece by piece. Feeling around in his pockets, he noticed something was missing.

" Sarah's spare key! It's gone. Did it fall out last night or did she take it? " he wondered.

He searched the floor for a couple minutes, but couldn't find it.

" I guess she did take it... "

The fact that she did definitely wasn't a good sign. Max considered just leaving Sarah's apartment right now. Talking to her about the previous night was a frightening proposition.

" No. Running away will make things worse. "

He returned to the couch and waited for Sarah to wake up. Fifteen long minutes of nervousness later, the door opened. Sarah was wearing a long sleeved, blue shirt and gray sweat pants. Her black hair hung freely.

" M-morning. " he said starting to rise and then thinking better of it.

Sarah stopped at the opposite arm of the couch.

" We need to talk, Max. " she said crossing her arms over her chest awkwardly.

" Yeah... I got that. "

" I felt everything you did last night... I didn't try to stop you because I thought you were trying to get my attention at first. But you weren't, were you? When I realized what you actually were trying to do, I wanted to be sure. I let you keep going. It got too weird though, so I had to stop you. "

Max didn't have a response for that. He couldn't exactly deny it and couldn't bring himself to admit it.

" Look, I'm not going to judge you for what you like. Okay? Will you just tell me one thing? You're didn't shrink by accident, right? "

" No... I bought a drug and used it on purpose. "

" That's what I thought. I won't ask any more questions. "

Neither of them spoke for a few moments.

" So... What now? " Max finally said slowly.

" Well, I took back my spare key. I don't want things to be... weird between us. We can still be friends, alright? Just give me a couple days and it'll be like nothing ever happened. " Sarah said sitting on the couch arm.

" But it did happen, Sarah. I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. "

Max quickly got up and went to the front door.

" Max, wait. Don't beat yours- "

She was cut off as he opened the door and slammed it behind him. He couldn't hear anymore of it. Every word Sarah had said felt like a slap across the face. A slap he so richly deserved. His fetish made him ruin one of the best things he had going in his life.

Sarah made it sound like everything would go back to normal, but how could they? How could she ever see him as anything other than the weirdo down the hall? He fumbled with his keys before he got his own door open. Once inside his apartment, Max leaned back on the door. He let out a deep sigh and smacked his head against the door.

" I'm a total creep. " he thought sliding to the floor dejectedly.

.:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:.

Wes carefully got out of Rose's car, his ribs ached in response. Earlier that day, he had gone to the doctor like Rose demanded. The doc told him to take it easy for a few days and gave him some pain pills. When he'd tried to leave the office even earlier that morning, Rose blocked him.

" Am I forgetting something? " Wes asked raising an eyebrow.

" You're going to see a doctor first thing, right? " Rose said crossing her arms.

She was prepared to fight if he said no.

" Ugh, yes. I'll go to the damn doctor. Can I go now? " he conceded.

" No. Give me your keys. "

" What? Why? "

" I'm not gonna let you ride around on that bike. You're already beat up. And if the Los Diablos are involved in this, it makes you an easy target. You're taking my car today. "

" You can't be serious. You're overreacting. "

" Try me. " Rose said defiantly.

" Fine! Give me your keys! I just want to get this day started already. " Wes yelled tossing his keys on the couch.

Rose took her keys out of her pocket and dropped them in his hand. Wes flung the door open and stomped down the hallway.

" Be careful! " Rose called after him.

Now, Wes had arrived at the address Garza wrote in his notebook for Tabatha Miller and Marissa Arnold. The apartment building seemed a little on the crappy side, but as a place to hide it was great. The smell of rain still lingered from last nights storm. He locked Rose's car and went up the small set of stairs to the building's entrance. Wes knew Rosie only had his best interests at heart, even though it was slightly annoying. She was fierce when it came to the people she cared about.

Stepping inside the building, he checked Garza's notebook to see which apartment he was looking for. Luckily, it seemed the apartment was on the first floor. He entered a short hallway with three doors to the left and right. Inspecting the doors one by one, he found the one he was searching for. Wes knocked and waited for an answer. It was a few moments before it opened a crack. An eye peeked at him through the crack.

" What do you want? " a female voice said.

" Hi. My name is Weston Killian. I'm looking for Tabatha Miller. Is she here? "

The eye widened for a split second, but quickly returned to normal.

" Sorry. I don't know any Tabatha. You must have the wrong place. "

Wes slammed his palm into the door when it tried to swing closed.

" Listen, Marissa. I'm assuming you're Marissa Arnold, right? I was hired by Tabatha's mother to find out where she is. But now I'm more worried about who she's involved with. The people she's been buying the drug from. I got this address from her dealer. Did you tell him where you were living or did he follow you? "

The eye widened in surprise yet again.

" Hold on... I'll let you in. "

The girl closed the door, undid the latch, and opened it wide.

" Come in. " she said from behind the door.

Wes moved inside the dimly lit apartment. The apartment was quite small, consisting of one main room and what he guessed was a bathroom with the door closed. A small kitchen was in the corner of the room. It looked like it could barely fit three people and even then they'd be uncomfortably close. Other than that there were some boxes, a couch, a TV on a stand, and one bed.

A ceiling fan light suddenly turned on, giving the room some much needed light. He turned to Marissa, who still had her finger on the light switch. Marissa was somewhat on the short side, maybe 5'3 or 5'4. She had dark black hair that went down to her shoulders and pale white skin. She was wearing a black tank top, jeans, and snake bite piercings on her lower lip.

" So where's Tabatha? " he asked.

" She's... out right now. Should be back soon. " she said walking past him to the couch.

" Alright. She does live here then? "

" Yeah. I lied 'cause I wasn't sure I could trust you. Still not actually. "

" Look I'm not the bad guy here. I'm just doing my job. "

" If you're 'job' is to bring Tabatha back home, it's not happening. "

" That wasn't what I was hired for. I was just hired to find out where she was. Besides, Mrs. Miller's story was fishy. A kid doesn't run away for no good reason. I'm sure there's a story there, but it can wait. We need to talk about the drug. What can you tell me? "

Marissa seemed surprised by his words.

" I don't know much about the drug. I never took it. The dealer never meets Tabatha in the same place twice. He's some Hispanic dude. "

" I already knew most of that. Do you know who that Hispanic guy is? "

" No. Why do you care about the drug so much? Are you a cop? "

" I'm a private investigator. That guy is Andreas Garza. A member of the Los Diablos gang and a killer. If they took the time to follow you home, it's not a good sign. Being cautious isn't their usual style. If you're holding back, I need to know Marissa. I just want to help you and Tabatha before something bad happens. " Wes pleaded.

Marissa became shifty-eyed, looking everywhere but at Weston. She seemed to be struggling with a decision.

" Alright. I know more than I admitted. And Tabatha's not gone. She's been here the whole time. Tab, come on out. " she finally said.

Marissa bent forward and reached down to the floor. She came back up with her hand outstretched, palm up. Standing in her palm was what Wes thought was a small, human-like figurine. The figurine looked female and was naked. Suddenly, the figurine moved all by itself.

" Who the hell is this? " the figurine said putting its hands on its hips.

Wes realized it wasn't a figurine at all. It was a tiny human being! Upon closer inspection, he recognized the girl as Tabatha Miller. She looked much the same as her picture. She had light, blonde hair that went slightly past her shoulder and blue eyes. Although she definitely wasn't 5'5 like her mother said. She also didn't seem to mind being naked in front of a complete stranger.

" What the fuck? How... How is this possible? This is some kinda trick, right? " Wes stammered not believing his eyes.

" Tab, this is Weston. How much did you hear while you were down there? " Marissa asked.

" I heard enough. You want to know about the drug? This is what it does! This isn't a trick. It shrinks people! " Tabatha yelled raising her arms.

Weston couldn't even begin to wrap his head around what he was seeing. What kind of drug could do this?

" I know this is crazy. But it's true. The drug shrinks people. " Marissa confirmed.

" I get that this is pretty jarring the first time you see it, but could you pick your jaw up off the floor? You wanted to talk. Let's talk. "

Feeling more than a little dizzy, he took a seat on the couch.

" Sorry. I'm having some trouble here. Why don't you tell me what you know about the drug itself. "

" Well, the drug is a liquid. You can either drink it or inject it. Injecting works faster than drinking. How much you take affects how small you get and how long it lasts. It usually only lasts about four hours. " Tabatha answered.

Wes pulled out his own notebook and wrote down everything Tabatha said.

" Okay. That's something useful. Thanks. "

He slid the notebook back into his jacket pocket and looked at Tabatha without saying a word, still trying to accept this stunning revelation. Tabatha made a disgusted face and grabbed her breasts.

" You like what you see, perv? Take a picture, it'll last longer! " she yelled.

" What? No! I'm only staring because I've never seen anything like this. Not at your body. I'm sorry. " he said raising his hands defensively.

" That's all we know about the drug. Now you said that gang knows where we live. Should we be worried? Should we go somewhere else? " Marissa interjected.

" No. That's probably the worst idea. If you suddenly just pack up and leave, that'll look very suspicious. They haven't done anything yet. For now, you should just act like you have no idea about it. If something does happen and you don't want call the police for any reason, here's my card. I'll come as quickly as I can. "

Wes handed the card to Marissa.

" Do you think they are going to come after us? " she asked.

" I can't say for sure. My advice would be to be careful who you talk to and try not to go to new places. " he replied standing up.

" There's one last thing I want to clear up. " Tabatha yelled putting her hands back on her hips.

" Yeah? "

" I don't know what my mom told you, but I guarantee it was bullshit. You were right. I did have a good reason for running away. Me and Marissa are in love. My mom doesn't approve of my lifestyle. When she found out I was dating Marissa, she demanded that I break up with her. She always had to control every little thing in my life. That's why I ran. Can you do me a favor? Don't tell my mom where I am. She'll just insert herself back in my life. Please. "

Wes considered the girl's request for a moment.

" I'll think about it, but I make no promises. "

Tabatha frowned, letting her hands fall to her sides.

" I'll see myself out. You two keep your heads down. And I'd be careful with using that drug. " Weston said leaving the apartment.

Outside in the hallway, he took a deep breath. Just when the case didn't seem like it could not get any more crazy, this happens. He pulled his phone from his pant pocket and exited the building. Rose had called him while he was talking to the girls. Wes typically kept his phone on silent. Rose also texted him:

" CALL ME BACK ASAP!!! "

Wes hit the button for Rose's speed dial as he climbed into her car.

" Weston! Took you long enough. " she answered.

" Hello to you too. I was talking to Tabatha Miller and Marissa Arnold. The case has become very... interesting. " he said almost wanting to tell her about the astounding drug.

Without proof he'd sound insane though. He'd keep it to himself for now.

" You're telling me. I think I just got a new clue. "

" Really? What now? "

" I was watching the news while doing some paperwork and a story came up about a robbery. Somebody stole a shipment of a brand new drug from that company Amatrax. The police don't have any major leads yet. It's gotta be what the Los Diablos are selling, right? It would explain why they're being so paranoid. The news didn't give any information about the drug. Maybe it's some new pain killer? "

Wes' eyes widened in surprise. Stealing a shipment from a big company like Amatrax was weirdly high profile for the Diablos. How did they even get their hands on the shipment in the first place? Answering these questions could wait. Wes had to get to the police station and tell them everything he knew.

" I think I already discovered what the drug does. I gotta go, Rosie. I'll tell you more when I get back, okay? " he finally said realizing he hadn't responded.

" Alright, Weston. Drive safe. " she said and ended the call.

Wes put the phone in his pocket and started the car. He had a feeling it was going to be a long day.