- Text Size +

Scott stood on the cafe table, his bike lent against the salt shaker that was a little shorter than he was. It was a bit of a thrill to be here, in part because he was out in public in a giant world, and in part because of his anticipation of meeting Mary. Matt and Brian sat on opposite sides of the table, and though only their upper bodies were visible, they still towered over him.
"Hi," said the waitress, "are you ready to order?" 
Scott glanced up as she looked down at him. She seemed familiar... He'd been here plenty of times before.
"Oh, hello again." She said. "A bit shorter now."
Scott was puzzled for a moment before he recalled looking down on her. The woman from the park this morning, when he was big.
"Uh yeah." Scott managed. "His photography project" he continued, pointing at Matt.
The woman crouched down, bringing her face closer to table height. "You're cute like this," she said "but I liked you better big. Are you having more fun now?"
"Yeah," Scott nodded, "I feel much better about this."
"Good."  She stood back up. "What can I get you?"
"We're waiting for one more for lunch, but I'd love a flat white." said Matt.
"And a large Mocha for me." Said Brian
"So you have the boson ray?" the waitress asked.
Brian nodded. "Yeah. The battery is flat at the moment."
"Nice. I'll bring your coffees in a few minutes."

*  *  *  *

A small plastic container contained sugar and sweetener packets and Scott found he could perch himself on the edge of it. Matt talked about the photos from this morning.
"I think we have some great shots. Some that will really stand out."  He showed them a selection on his camera's small screen. "They look better at a decent size, but you get the idea."
The waitress arrived with their coffees.
"Flat white for you," she said putting Matt's in front of him, "and a Mocha for you.  I'll come back when your friend shows up."
Brian's cup had a piece of paper folded underneath. He curiously opened the paper and read it quickly while taking the first sip of coffee. He frowned slightly in thought, replaced the cup, and folded the paper again before putting it in his shirt pocket.
"What was that?" Asked Scott
"I'm not sure. I think it's an invitation."
Scott nodded.
"Hey Scott, one more photo?"
"Really, Matt? Don't you have enough?"
"We don't even have to leave the table."
Scott sighed. "OK, what am I doing?"
"Sit on the saucer with Brian's cup behind you. Lean the bike against it."
Ah, thought Scott, cycling... Coffee... A cliché for a reason.

*  *  *  *

Mary got out of her car, she had a parking spot nice and close. She felt the butterflies in her stomach as she approached the cafe. She pushed open the door, looking left and the right before she saw Matt bending, looking through his camera, lens resting on the table edge, taking pictures. Brian's back was to her, and she couldn't see Scott.

She wasn't surprised about the last part. Brian could easily block her view of her doll sized boyfriend. She approached the table, came around Brian's shoulder, looked down and gasped.

Six eyes looked up at her, standing by the table. The smallest belonged to Scott.

Scott, who she expected to see doll sized, was more like an action figure, sitting on the edge of a saucer.

*  *  *  *

Matt snapped another set of photos while he posed on the edge of the saucer. He could feel the heat radiating from Brian's mug behind him. He was feeling like he was getting used to being this size. It was still incredible, just noticeably less bizarre.

He noticed someone approach the table, possibly the waitress, then he herd a gasp and he looked up to see Mary.

His girlfriend looked shocked. She also looked huge. She also looked incredible.

Her face, maybe 20 metres up, maintained it's shocked expression. Her stomach, flat under a tight red t-shirt, maybe 8 metres across, started to descend.

Scott stood up, and started walking towards her, wishing he'd removed his cleated shoes. The 20 metres across the table shortened to 19, then 18, as he approached the edge.

Her giant body continued to descend, her breasts reaching table level. Scott couldn't believe how small they made him feel. He was less than 10 metres from her as her shoulders and collar bones reached his line of sight. The bone was not quite a foot in diameter.

Scott slowed his pace at 5 metres from her neck, which seemed a good 3 metres across. He stopped at around 4 metres out  as her lips drew level with the table top, sitting maybe a foot out from the edge.

He could feel her warm breath from her nose, a slight warmth her face. Her nose was about three feet above the table top, protruding 50cm from her face, extending up about a metre to finish between her two brown eyes, each iris bigger than his palm.

They both stayed still for a moment, staring into each other's eyes. Neither could quite believe what the other saw. The giant woman. The tiny man.

They both smiled. They smiled a smile that showed the love they had for each other. In that moment they knew that this temporary size difference couldn't keep them apart, and that nothing else ever would. They had just confirmed what they already knew in their hearts. They were soul mates.

Scott moved forward, Mary moved her head upwards just slightly. He spread his arms across the skin above her upper lip in the biggest embrace he could manage, while planting a kiss under her nose. She kissed his whole torso with a small twitch.

In their world they stayed like that for minutes, loving each other. A few seconds later they pulled apart.