- Text Size +
Story Notes:

First story from a long time reader.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Scott sat on the grass, the small blades brushing against his calves, tickling slightly.  He exhaled, and felt a little better.

He felt slow and clumbsy. And he felt so damn big.

Because he was.  He was sitting out in the open, in the middle of a park, at four times his regular height.

When he'd won the state chamionships, his friend Matt had wanted to do a photoshoot.

Matt was just starting out with his photography business, and was doing this for free, hoping some 'unique' and 'interesting' shots might help get his business off the ground.  Matt also insisted that the photos could help Scott get some sponsors on board, help finance a shot at the National title.

Scott was State Champion for Track Sprint cycling.  He was pretty big normally, 190cm tall and 90kg of muscle.  He currently stood, or rather sat, over 7 and a half metres tall and, he calculated, weighed more than five and three quarter tonnes.  He was wearing his state skinsuit, the lycra leaving little of his muscular form to the imagination.  His now giant road bike lay on the ground next to him.

He'd ended up riding to the park for the shoot, so had taken the road bike as he couldn't use a track bike on the road.  Not that most people whould know the difference.

He was attracting some attention, a couple of women who had been walking their dogs had stopped to look at him as Matt had finished taking the last round of shots.  Matt was off checking his pictures while Scott sat and waited, giant sized.

"Wow," said one of the women, looking up at him, "You really are big, aren't you?"
Scott blushed a little, "Yeah, just a bit".  He drew his feet closer to his body so he could hug his knees, and noticed that his calves were probably bigger than the woman.

She stood there dressed in shorts, a tshirt and running shoes. It was already warm at 10am.
"How does it feel to be so big?" she asked
Scott shrugged. "OK, I guess," he said, "but I feel a bit slow and clumbsy, I'm a little worried I might hurt someone if I wasn't careful."
The woman came up and put her hand on his giant, lycra covered thigh. "I think the fact you're thinking about it means that you're not likely to hurt anyone." she responded, "And I think you could have some fun if you're careful"  She sighed "If I wasn't involved, I might even let you have some fun with me."
"I have a girlfriend" replied Scott
"Well, you could see about having fun with her, maybe?"
Scott shrugged, he really wasn't sure. He wasn't sure what Mary would make of this. He hadn't told her about the details of the photos last night.
"Well, at least relax a little." the woman continued, he dog starting to pull on the lead, "We don't all get to experience a boson ray."
And with that she rejoined her friend, and they continued their dog walking.

It had seemed like a good idea at the time.  That was before the shoot had started. 

After he's made that basic proposal and Scott had agreed, Matt outlined what he had meant by 'unique' and 'interesting'.  Matt's housemate Brian was something of an electronics expert, studying for his PhD.  It turned out that Brian had built his own, home made, boson ray.

Scott knew that "boson ray" was a silly name, but it was the one that had stuck in the public mind when the first prototype had been demonstrated some five years ago.  What the machine did was fire a bunch of elementary particles at a object and alter the way the object interacted with the Higgs field and a bunch of other basic forces, communicated by bosons. 

The whole quantum physics thing made Scott's head hurt, but the upshot was that the ray could alter mass, density and size.  It could shrink and grow things, but by messing about with the fields it ment that things didn't collapse under their own weight when they grew, and internal pressures didn't make them explode when shrunk.

A commercial boson ray cost thousands of dollars, but someone with enough technical knowledge, someone like Brian, could build one themselves for much less.  He'd seen Brian demonstrate that the machine worked yesterday when Matt had outlined his idea fully.

Scott thought it would at least be interesting to be grown and shrunk, too see the world from a different perspective.  And so far it had been interesting to be enlarged to four times his normal size, but it wasn't an experience he was enjoying that much.

Matt had joined him as he grew, and that had felt a little better, but he'd returned to his normal size for a second round of shots.  Scott thought being smalled might be better.

Brian approached him. "How are you doing, big guy?"
"OK", said Scott, "Though really, I'm not sure I like being a giant.  I'm worried that I might hurt someone."
Brian nodded. "Fair enough.  I think Matt is pretty much done with you at this size." Scott sighed with relief, "According to his notes he wants you a quarter of your regular size for the next session. Are you ready for that?"
"Yeah," said Scott, "I'm hoping being small might be a bit more fun."
"So, I can take you down to normal size, give you a break, and then make you small," Brian explained, "Or I could just shrink you the whole way at once."
He thought about it for a moment.
"Go the whole way at once." said Scott, "How long will that take?"
"You took about 35 seconds to grow, so I'll estimate about 1 minute 10 seconds. It will be interesting to see, I've not srunk anything so much in one go before." replied Brian. "I'll go set that up, and once Matt is happy we'll go."

Scott sat on his own again, and thought of Mary.  He imagined her here, like the woman he spoken to earlier.  He could probably pick her up on one hand, like any of the other peole around here.  Then he tought of her towering over him, and let himself have a little grin.  Yes, being smaller would be much more fun. Maybe he could... no...

"OK, Scott," said Matt, aproaching him from the small pile of equipment he had laid on the grass, "I'm done with you being this big if you are."
"Yeah, I'm good to go"
"OK, Brian, when you're ready." yelled Matt at his housemate, who was kneeling over his machine 5 meters behind him.
"Ready," he responded, "Just get out of the way."