- Text Size +
Mary looked again at the picture of Scott being held in Brian's hand. She thought about having him in her own hand. Feeling his tiny bones and muscles against her palm and fingers.

Her phone beeped and a message alert appeared on screen. From Scott: "Sure, but I'm a little short. Could you cover me?"

She laughed, and hope that he meant what she thought he did. She replied "Absolutely."

* * * *

Scott stood in front of the giant shoe. It was about five metres long, if he turned around he was eye level with the top of the blue canvas and the bottom of Brian's ankle. Above his head the rest of Brian's leg went upwards. If he craned his neck back he could see the giant face some 30 metres above.

In front of him a much smaller Matt lay on the grass taking shot after shot. This was the third pose, standing behind the bike, one hand on the seat, the other on the bars.

So this was it, he was committed to being this size for the next four or so hours. His they would be meeting his girlfriend at a local cafe in about 20 minutes. Who knows, after some food maybe they could have some one-on-one time. It would certainly be interesting...

"I'm done." Announced Matt, standing up.
"OK," said Brian, "let's get you back to normal."
He moved carefully away from Scott, who felt a breeze from his moving foot, and went back to his machine. Pressing the key sequence he started Matts return to normal. As Matt reached full size all the lights on the machine went out. The battery was very flat.
"And that's it for the moment."
With that he folded the tripod down. Matt took his camera over to his laptop, plugging it in once more.
"I just want to do a quick check. Just a couple of minutes."

Brian stepped over to Scott and crouched down in front of him.
"You know," he said, "one of us is going to have to carry you."
Scott stopped for a second, he hadn't really thought of it, but it was the only sensible way. He couldn't hope to keep up with them at this size.
"Yeah," he nodded
"How about we do a slow practice now, while Matt's busy?"
The first time Brian has picked him up his palm had been maybe a third his height, and he was lifted by Brian carefully wrapping his fingers around. Now he was about the size of one of the fingers.
"Sure, good idea." He said. Brian placed his hand on the ground, palm up, in front of Scott.
"Climb on." He said
Scott looked at the hand in front of him. There was a good 50cm step up to the palm, which was almost two metres across in both directions, with another two metres of fingers, each about 40-50cm thick at the base. The skin was fairly rough, deep lines crossing the palm. He though of Mary's hands, slimmer, smoother. He thought he'd enjoy climbing into her hand much more than Brian's.

He took a big step up, pulling the bicycle up behind him, overbalanced and tumbled with the bike to the middle of the palm. Brian looked down with concern. "You OK?"
Scott laughed, shifting the bike from on top of himself.
"Yeah. It's pretty funny. So I was climbing into his hand when I pulled the bike up and overbalanced."
"Not the kind of story you hear every day." Brian chuckled. "OK, going up."
Brian slowly moved his hand up and carefully stood.
"Woe... That's a bit of a spin."
"Sorry."
"All good. I don't think I want to try that standing up." said Scott, sitting up.
"Hold on, I'm going to walk over to Matt."
There was a gentle swaying as Brian took each step, but nothing that cause Scott any concerns.
"How's that?"
"Fine, thanks."
Matt was just packing his laptop and camera away in their bags as they arrived. He looked up at Brian, who had the boson ray in a bag over his shoulder.
"Ready to go?"
"Yep," said Brian.
"Me too." said Scott.

* * * *

Brian held Scott in his hand while Matt drove. Scott's anticipation at seeing Mary was growing. He hoped that she really was up for this. Their cryptic text messages seemed to indicate that she was.

Brian couldn't believe that he was holding a person in his hand. The idea that he could hurt or even kill Scott gave him a huge feeling of power, a power he was never going to use. The fact that Scott was stuck like this without him gave him another feeling of control. He wasn't sure which was better.

Matt, on the other hand, was feeling bad. He'd kind of pushed Scott into this. Sure he'd volunteered, but still, without him, his friend wouldn't be stuck at one twentieth the size he should be for the next few hours. He consoled himself with the fact that at least Scott seemed to be *enjoying* the experience.

* * * *

Mary was getting more excited as she drove. She knew she was running late, but she really wanted Scott, Matt and Brian to be there when she arrived. Scott, who was usally six inches taller than her, small enough to be picked up. Scott who had proved, on more than one occasion, that he could pick her up, a little larger than her whole hand. She hoped that his playful messages meant he was up for spending some time with her in his shrunken size.