- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

An introduction to the world of st. lisa's, a dangerous girls school.

With a loud scream, Nick woke up in the shrinkies den at st. Lisa’s college. He heard his fellow shrinkies waking up around him, with confused noises, some asking: “Danger?” or others mentioning “the Big ones”. A scout that was on the lookout, came down, with a frightened look on his face. When he saw nothing had happened, he sighed in relief. Nick was still sitting up in his bed, with sweat on his forehead and staring at his hands. He had a terrible nightmare, but couldn’t exactly remember what it was about. He mumbled a quick apology to the shrinkies around him, before laying back down. 
This had never happened to him before. Nick always was the calm one, never causing panic, and was a source of trust and hope in the eyes of shrinkies. He helped countless shrinkies escape the big ones, the name that shrinkies gave to the real inhabitants of St. Lisa’s college; Beautiful giant girls, who saw the shrinkies as nothing more then bugs, or tools; countless had lost their lives being crushed, eaten, or were used as toys, only for their pleasure. 
It wasn't always like this though. Shrinkies never existed until a few years ago, when a science experiment went horribly wrong. During that time, St. Lisa's was a normal school, filled with thousands of students, both male and female. A group of talented students were busy with a cloning experiment, under supervision of the science teacher Miss Scarlet, when things went wrong. The machine that they were using overheated and an unknown gas was released. Scarlet pulled the students away and locked the science lab, hoping it would be enough. Initially it was, and school resumed as normal. The science lab was closed by the headmistress, Miss Jane, who called the fire department. Venting or entering the room was forbidden until further studies would be done. A curious student stole the key and entered the science lab, releasing the gas into the school and exposing the students. Upon breathing it in, symptoms would occur to the ones that had a weak resistance to it, which was mainly the male side of the students. After a week, a few of the male students shrunk down in size, to a few mere inches tall. In panic, the school got quarantined as all male students started shrinking. Females seemed to have a better resistance to the gas however. Most could continue their lives as normal, although there were a few exceptions. This is when Jane declared st. Lisa's to become a girl only school, to prevent any more harm to be done to any male students who might wanted to apply. 
A big problem arose for the shrinkies however. The girls of the school grew power hungry and started overpowering the shrinkies, making them do their chores for them, under threat of being crushed or eaten if they refused. Most shrinkies did what they were told, fearing for their lives. A few shrinkies did refuse, as they were not slaves. The girls did exactly what they threatened to do, crushing the shrinkies underneath their shoes or even eating them. Word spread as a raging fire and the girls started developing a craving for shrinkies. More and more got eaten, thinning out the shrinkie population drastically.
Shrinkies, as a response, had started a revolution, in which they demanded equal rights and the eating to stop inside of the school. The revolution ended in disaster. Although there ware friendly conversations with miss Jane, the school quickly got overtaken by the girls, who didn't want to lose the power they had. A war broke out, in which most of the shrinkies lost their lives. Most shrinkie generals, who were excellent strategists, got wiped out quickly. Nick and his group were a select few that managed to stay alive during this time. He lead them into hiding, and gave his unit survival training instead of assault. During the months that followed, a lot of shrinkies that were scattered around the school grounds had joined them and formed a society underground, without the big ones knowing about them.The community mostly stayed underground, but at times, a small group had to come up for food. Nick decided to let the shrinkies work in small units for this, decreasing the chance of detection and more groups were able to cover bigger areas to scout for food. All went well for the shrinkies so far, but their resources had run out. Nick had an uneasy feeling about the mission coming up, as if it was all going to end badly.
Nick’s best friend, Davis, looked at Nick in the dark. “Bad dream?” he asked, slightly worried. Nick rolled to his side to look back at him, and replied with a simple nod. “Yeah… I’m not sure, but i feel like something big is about to happen. It’s too bad we really need food, our rations are completely empty. Otherwise i’d have stopped tomorrow’s food operation. I don’t like how it’s been quiet for this long.” He hears Davis reposition himself in his bed and vaguely sees him rolling to his side, as they continue talking. “You worry too much,” Davis replied. “It’s been years since the revolution and ever since you’ve kept casualties to a minimum. You’re a good leader Nick, but don’t worry that much. We’ll be fine, we’ll eat again tomorrow.” With that, Davis rolls to his back again, and continues sleeping. Nick tries to do the same and falls into a restless sleep, before waking up as the sun comes up.