- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Joe/Ant Boy’s story takes place in a form of the Marvel universe, containing but a few minor differences. Janet Van Dyne goes by the super hero name of “Giant Girl,” instead of “Wasp.” Also, Hank Pym does not dawn the red suit and silver helmet, having instead decided on making Janet’s suit his main priority.

 

It had been another long, hard day for Spiderman and Giant girl. Giant girl sat on Spiderman’s shoulder at four inches tall, holding on and trying not to fall off as Spiderman swung from building to building on their nightly patrol. The sun had set a long while ago, and the stars and moon were the only source of light that lay in the sky tonight.

"What a day. Not a lot of crime today. We must be doing are job right," said the not-so-Giant girl while Spiderman swung on.

"It was pretty quiet, now that you mention it,” said Spiderman, sending a shot of his web at a nearby building, catching it and pulling to make sure it had caught properly. He grabbed hold with both his hands and swung on ward, keeping an eye on Giant girl to be sure she didn’t fall off.

“That reminds me, did you happen to hear about that missing kid?”

"No I haven’t. Why?

"He went missing from his town almost a month ago, and someone said they saw him around the city today. I can’t remember his name, but I think it started with a J, or something," said Spiderman, pondering it for a minute.

"Interesting,” said Giant girl. Spiderman swung to another building, this time swinging all the way around it and over a different street. The nice thing about New York City was that there were plenty of buildings for him to swing from. Suddenly, his spider senses detected something nearby.

"Finally, some action," he said.

He looked down to see that there was a commotion going on at a jewelry store. Broken glass was all over the sidewalk and the sounds of fighting could be heard within.

"We’d better go check it out," said Giant Girl. Spiderman nodded and began swinging them down towards the street, landing a few yards from the entrance of the jewelry shop. When he landed, Giant girl jumped off his shoulder and quickly grew to her regular height. Spider man then walked over to the broken window door and stepped aside.

"Ladies first."

"Oh wow, your such a gentleman," she said in a sarcastic voice. Giant girl went in anyway. She entered, fully expecting to be attacked by numerous crooks, but instead saw a more interesting sight.

"Spidey, come see this."

When Spiderman climbed in after her, he was as shocked as Giant Girl was. The robbers were being beat up, and being beat up well by the looks of it. But, yet, there wasn’t anyone doing the beating up. It was almost as if some invisible force was kicking them around. The robbers would be pushed back, or their heads would be knocked to the side, as if receiving a serious punch to the face, delivered by some invisible fist. Finally, after another thirty seconds or so, all the men had been rendered unconscious, and now lay on the ground. Spiderman and Giant Girl just stared.

“Um, ok then," said Spiderman, confusion clear in his voice.

"What just happened?"

But before Giant girl could say anything, something began to grow from the floor. Or, at least, it looked like it was growing out of the floor. It started out small, but quickly grew in size and shape, and before Spiderman and Giant Girl knew it, a boy, no taller then five feet, was standing right in front of them, hands on his hips. His hair was long and un-kept, and his shirt and pants could have done with a wash. He was facing the opposite direction, so all Giant Girl and Spiderman saw was his back.

"That should take care of those guys," said the boy, wiping his hands as if he was wiping dirt off them. He turned around to leave the Shop, and stopped dead in his tracks. Two people, who he could not see that well in the dark, were standing in his way. He quickly jumped back, hands in front of him, ready for another fight.

"H-How long have you two been standing there?" asked the boy, keeping his distance from the new intruders.

"Hey, relax, we’re not gonna hurt you. We’ve only been her for a couple of minutes," replied Giant Girl. She tried to sound sweet and non-threatening, but if it had any effect on the boy, he didn’t show it.

"Who are you?" she asked, slowly. The kid kept still, but he didn’t seem so tense now, and started to answer.

"My names J-" but he quickly stopped, his body going tense again.

"What’s wrong?" asked Spiderman. The boy hesitated. He glanced at a door towards the back of the store. It was an emergency exit, and he was incredibly tempted to bolt out and leave these two and their questions forever. But he was afraid that it’d make him look suspicious, and they had already seen him. If they went to the police with any information on him, he knew he’d be caught by morning. He sighed and answered

“My names Joe,” he said. Giant Girl smiled.

“Nice to meet you, Joe. I’m Ja- Giant Girl,” she said, forgetting she was still in mask and suit. She stuck her hand out to shake his. The boy backed away a little, before deciding against it and taking her hand. His grip was strong, and Gaint Girl winced.

“Wait, did you say Giant Girl?” asked Joe. He now got a good look at the girl, and realized that it was indeed the famous heroine, Giant Girl. His eyes went wide with aw.

“The one and only,” she said, smiling. The man next to her then stuck his hand out, and Joe recognized the colors immediately.

“Wow, Spiderman too,” whispered Joe.

“The one and only,” said Spiderman, mocking Giant Girl and getting a punch in the arm for it.

“Ow! Hey,” he said, rubbing his arm. Joe laughed, and felt a smile creep up on him. Huh, a smile. He couldn’t remember the last time he had one of those.

“So, Joe, mind telling us how you did all that?” asked Spiderman, and Joe looked away.

“Oh, well, uh, I kind of… you know,” said Joe, waving his arms around nervously.

“Know what?” asked Giant Girl, and Joe sighed.

“I… well… I don’t exactly know HOW I do it, but I… shrank down and beat them up,” said Joe.

“You shrank?” asked Spiderman, and Joe nodded.

“Yeah. About four inches I think,” said Joe, still not meeting wither of their gazes. Silence filled the room.

“Um, ok. That’s… cool,” said Giant Girl, and Joe smiled.

“Please, you guys don’t have to pretend it’s a cool power, I know it’s not,” said Joe, kicking a piece of glass with his shuffling feet.

“No, I didn’t mean it like that!” said Giant Girl, seeing that Joe was taking it the wrong way.

“I mean, it’s just it’s not everyday you meet a superhero that can change sizes too,” said Giant Girl, and Joe looked at her, smiling.

“Oh right, you change sizes too,” said Joe, and Giant Girl nodded. Than Spiderman piped up.

“And the fact that you kicked these guys asses BY YOURSELF at four inches tall is really cool,” said Spiderman, and now Joe was grinning ear to ear.

“Yeah, well, that was mostly because of my other superpower,” said Joe.

“You have other powers too?” asked Spiderman, and Joe nodded. Suddenly, there were the sounds of sirens, and Joe looked nervous.

“Um, hey, maybe we can continue this conversation somewhere else,” said Joe, nervously trying to make his way out the door.

“Why, it’s just the police,” said Spiderman. But Joe was ignoring him as he ran past him and out the door into a side alley. Giant Girl and Spiderman quickly followed their new friend.

“Joe wait!” said Giant Girl, and Joe stopped.

“Look, um, it’s kind of ha-,” he started, but suddenly, Spiderman interrupted.

“Wait a second, Joe is the name of that kid that went missing a month ago!” Spiderman looked at Joe again and his eyes went wide under his mask.

“You’re that kid! I thought you looked familiar!” said Spiderman. Joe’s eyes went wide and began walking away.

“Please, you-you can’t hand me over to the police! I have my reasons! Just please, I can’t go back! My-my family is in danger!” said Joe. Giant Girl took a cautious step towards Joe.

“Wait, stop, we won’t get the police involved, I promise! Come with us, we can help,” said Giant Girl. Joe stopped backing up, but showed no sign of going towards them.

“P-please, I just,” Joe started, but he held fast. Part of him wanted to go with Giant Girl and Spiderman. They were the superhero’s he read about, and they always looked out for other people. But Joe had spent weeks avoiding people, and at this point, that’s what he was more comfortable with. The sirens were getting louder and closer, and finally, Joe gave in.

“Fine, I’ll go with you guys,” said Joe. Giant Girl smiled and grabbed Joe by his shoulder. He looked up at her, and he smiled as best he could.

“Glad to have you aboard,” she said, and began growing.

 

 

They came as fast as they could when the silent alarm had gone off. The front window had been shattered open, and the officers were ready for anything. They burst in through the door, flipping on the lights and pointing their guns out.

“Police! Freeze nobody-,” started one officer, then stopped. Five unconscious men lay on the ground, unmoving.

“What in the world,” he said, taking off his hat and scratching his head. Suddenly, the room was shaken by what felt like small earthquakes, and he looked outside to see Giant Girl walking away from the building. The officers shouted thanks up to her, but she was gone before they could stop her. The officers shrugged and began piling the men into their cruisers.

 

 

“Alright Joe, start talking,” said Giant Girl. Spiderman and Joe were resting on the now fifty foot Giant Girl’s right shoulder as she walked through the city, carefully stepping around multiple cars, meters, poles, and more. Being the middle of the night, the city was deserted for the most part, other than a few pedestrians here and there. The city had grown used to their giant heroine, and Giant’ Girls giant strolls had become common occurrence. Joe didn’t seem to hear her, as he was staring down in awe from his new vantage point.

“We’re so high up,” he said, and quickly looked forward again.

“Wow, we’re really high up,” said Joe, and he suddenly became nervous again.

“Hey, relax, we won’t let you fall,” said Spiderman, putting his arm on Joe’s shoulder. Joe’s tense shoulders sagged a little, feeling safer and safer by the minute. It had been weeks since he had been able to talk to anyone, let alone superhero’s, and Joe could feel a little of his old self coming back again.

“Like I said, start talking,” said Giant Girl, jokingly. Joe looked up at the stairs, staying silent.

“I, I don’t even know where to start,” he finally said.

“Well, how about when you got your powers. You do know WHEN you got them, right?” asked Spiderman, and Joe nodded.

“It was a month ago, and… I guess it was that morning…”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I wrote this story back when I was 14, and I was a terrible writer back then, though I'm no professional now anyways. So because of this, I'm in the middle of rewriting the story a bit, so there will be very random entries. I hope you all enjoy the story, and don't worry, things get more interesting further in.