- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here we are folks. The second to last chapter of Fleeting Love. The chapter is kinda short because it didn't chop up that well. The next chapter is going to be a lot longer. Please leave a review and I hope you enjoy! Finale Hype!
Fleeting Love: Chapter 27

Jon recovered from his shock quickly, knowing if he didn't do this Aphrodite would make his life a real living hell. He lashed out with his other hand to take the necklace, but was again stopped by the goddess. His struggles to get his arms out of her grip were useless. Aphrodite slowly rose from her throne. She had made herself tall enough to be eye to eye with him.

" You son of a whore! " she shouted.

She drove her foot into his gut and released his arms. Jon tumbled down the small set of stairs leading up to the throne. He got back to his feet once he reached the bottom, slightly banged up but otherwise okay.

" Who told you about my necklace?! It was that bitch Athena, wasn't it? That's why she wanted you on her island! To use you against me! "

" The games end now, Aphrodite! I'm taking that necklace and you're going to pay for everything you've done. " he yelled, pointing a finger at her.

" Stupid boy! This was Athena's plan? Send a mortal to steal from a goddess? You had no chance! She sent you to your death! Which begins right now! " Aphrodite raised her hand and snapped her fingers with triumphant smirk.

He braced himself for whatever she had done, but nothing happened. The smirk on her face faltered for a moment before she snapped again. When still nothing happened, Aphrodite's face contorted into a snarl.

" Do you think your chances are any better just because I can't use my powers on you? Ha! You truly are an idiot. I'm not even going to waste the effort of dealing with you myself. Guards! "

Two men in golden Greek armor appeared out of thin air on both sides, swords already drawn.

" Take care of this traitorous worm, but don't kill him. I believe keeping him for awhile longer would be a more fitting punishment. If you thought the games were bad before your betrayal, they are going to seem like sweet dreams compared to what is coming. " she said, sitting back down on her throne.

Jon barely had time to react before a sword came stabbing at his chest. He dodged out of the way and turned to see the other guard charging at him. The guard slammed into him with his shoulder, knocking him to the ground. He wasted no time moving over Jon and driving his blade down. Jon rolled out of the way just as it hit the ground.

He rose to one knee and punched the side of the guard's head. His golden helmet fell off while the guard stumbled away. Unknown to Jon, the second guard had circled behind him and slashed his back diagonally.

" Ahhh! " he cried out in pain.

He was certain the guard had drawn blood, but didn't know how bad the cut was. Jon scrambled out of range as the guard swung again. He moved a safe distance away before stopping to collect himself. The other guard had recovered from Jon's punch, choosing to leave his helmet, and looked very pissed. From the head of the room came the sound of Aphrodite's laughter.

" Not bad, Jonathan. You are a wily one. I'm sure Athena had something to do with that, but it's not going to save you. Stop playing with him. Take him down now! Whatever you do I will heal after. " Aphrodite commanded.

" Yes, Aphrodite! " they replied in unison, marching towards Jon.

Jon slowly backed away, not liking his chances. The helmet less guard shouted and charged at him for the second time. He stabbed at his chest, but Jon sidestepped at the last second and hooked his arm around the guards. He reeled back and punched the guard across the face with all his might. The guard wasn't knocked out like he hoped, but he was momentarily stunned.

He seized the opportunity and tore the sword out of the guard's hand. Jon quickly swung downwards and sliced the guards exposed upper thigh quite deep. The guard let out a cry before he burst into a cloud of smoke. The other guard had been watching the struggle silently, but looked to Aphrodite when his companion disappeared. Seconds after turning his head he disappeared as well.

" Useless idiots! Can't even handle one boy by themselves! So be it. I will remind you why you do not trifle with gods. " the goddess said, descending from her throne.

As she reached the bottom of the stairs, Aphrodite grew until her head nearly touched the ceiling. She must have been at least twenty feet tall. Athena's prediction all that time ago was dead on. Jon surveyed his surroundings, trying to think of a plan. He saw the pillars behind him and ran for them.

" Stop fighting, Jonathan. You're only making things worse. " Aphrodite boomed, stomping closer.

He ducked behind a pillar, knowing he didn't stand a chance against the goddess at that size. He still had the guard's sword, but it might as well have been a toothpick. The goddesses' gigantic foot slammed down next to him and her head peeked around the pillar.

" This is just sad. You can't hide from me that easily. "

" I'm not trying to hide! " Jon yelled.

He sliced the side of her big toe. A golden fluid oozed from the cut, glowing faintly.

" Little bastard! Enough of this. I'm going to squash you like the bug you are! "

Aphrodite raised her foot and he ran for the next pillar. The goddess let out an angry growl as her foot missed its target. Jon ran towards the head of the room. The pillar tactic wouldn't work long, so his next idea was to run to the temple's second floor. Hopefully it was small enough that Aphrodite would be forced to shrink down.

Out of thin air, a huge hand appeared in his path. Aphrodite had teleported ahead of him! As the hand swiped at him, Jon plunged the sword into the center of her palm. The goddess hissed in pain and retracted her hand. While she pulled out the tiny sword, he ran between her legs. He had nearly made it to the stairs when Aphrodite appeared in front of him normal sized. He couldn't slow down fast enough to dodge her, so he could only brace himself as she backhanded him. The hit was strong enough to spin him around and make him fall to the floor.

" Ungrateful, little bug! " she shouted, stomping on his right hand.

Jon brought the hand close to his chest and attempted to get up. Aphrodite delivered a swift kick to his ribs, knocking him onto his back.

" I gave you everything your twisted mind desired! This is how you repay me?! What kind of freak even likes feet anyways? A sad, pathetic creep! Without me you wouldn't even have your precious Alexis! How could she ever love a freak like you except for my magic? You deserve all the things I'm going to do to you. You are going to be a foot slave for the rest of your insignificant life! " Aphrodite ranted, dragging him to his feet.

Jon merely flashed her a half smile and spat in the goddesses' face. Aphrodite screamed in anger, lifted him off the floor, and threw him with her supernatural strength. He tumbled across the marble floor, banging his head pretty badly on the initial impact. When he finally came to a stop, he was dazed and fairly certain his head was bleeding. He just laid there, staring up at the ceiling that seemed miles away.

The plan had failed. Jon had put up a good fight, but what chance did he really have against a goddess? Athena would have to find another way to prove that Aphrodite had broken the rules. He probably wouldn't see Alexis ever again. Man, did he wish he could see her just one more time. Tell her how much she meant to him and maybe take her on their first real date. His train of thought was broken by Aphrodite crouching over him. She ripped open the front of his shirt and yanked the Chthonian coin off his neck.

" A Chthonian coin. I should have guessed. I wonder where Athena managed to get her hands on one. " the goddess said, inspecting the coin.

" You win. Go ahead and kill me. I don't care anymore. Just kill me! " Jon shouted.

" Please, Jonathan. I can't kill you. I have to punish you for betraying me. "

The familiar sadistic smile had returned to her face. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a shadow flying towards Aphrodite. It was an owl! Not just any owl either, it was Athena's owl! The owl flew right at her head and began clawing at her. Aphrodite swung wildly at the bird, even attempting to launch a fireball at it. The owl easily avoided her attacks.

He realized this was Athena's last ditch effort at helping him. He shakily rose to his feet and charged at the goddess. Jon slammed into Aphrodite, knocking both of them to the floor. He got on top of her and grabbed the necklace. In one motion, he wrenched it up and over head. With the necklace clutched firmly in his hand, Jon scrambled away from the powerless goddess.

He had done it! Aphrodite couldn't do anything to stop the plan! The ruby began to glow in his hand. A euphoric sensation spread throughout his body, making the hair on his arms stand up.

" No! Give it back! It's not yours! " Aphrodite cried, lunging for the necklace.

Jon raised his free hand, fingers splayed, at the goddess. Aphrodite was lifted off the ground and thrown across the temple. She was smashed against a pillar before falling back to the ground. Jon looked at the necklace in his hand. It was still glowing brightly and veins of red energy were snaking up his arm. He smiled as Aphrodite watched in horror. All of Aphrodite's powers were his and it felt good...