- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry about the long wait guys. I've been really busy. For awhile I lost my motivation for writing, but then I went back and re-read the first part of this trilogy. I realized I couldn't leave this story hanging. I like these characters too much to do that. Chapters are going to come slowly, but I will finish all my stories. With that said, here's chapter 2 of Fleeting Love. The action starts next chapter
Fleeting Love: Chapter 2

" A summer job? Why would you give me a summer job? " Jon asked.

" Firstly, you get to have all the feet you could possibly want. Secondly, it will be so much easier to keep an eye on you. " Aphrodite replied with a smile.

Jon looked back towards the cruise liner " When did you even get a ship?"

Aphrodite moved in front of Jon, admiring her ship. " I conjured it quite a few years ago. It's been a successful cruise line ever since. I wanted one, because there's something romantic about being on a ship on the open seas, especially at night with all the stars. It makes my job as the goddess of love so much easier. Loves practically happens by itself. "

" I suppose that makes sense. So, is this job mandatory? "

" I'm not going to force you do it. It's a job offer. But you have to at least see the ship before you decide and hear your job description. Come on, let's go. "

Aphrodite began to walk with the flow of the crowd. Jon walked by her side. " I assume you were smart enough to look at your shirt and read what it said, yes? "

" Foot masseur? "

" Yes! Very good, Jon-Jon. While you are working on the ship you will handling any foot massage related requests. With all your experience you must be quite good. During the day you'll walk around the pool deck and give a foot rub to anyone who asks for one. At night, you'll do special sessions with passengers in their rooms. Your hours are 10 AM to 2 AM. You get half hour breaks throughout the day, no more than four. Depending on what the passenger pays for, you could spend a couple hours with them or the entire night. The night officially starts at 8 PM. "

" I'm only giving foot massages to women, right? "

" Yes, Jon. We only offer foot massages for women. The same goes for private sessions. "

The pair finally made it to the large ramp that lead up to the ship. They passed under an archway that had a banner from it that read " Welcome Aboard! ". As they walked under it two large buff guys that stood on each side simultaneously said " Good afternoon, Miss Aphrodite. "

" Hello, boys. " Aphrodite grinned at them.

Jon looked over his shoulder at the two monsters. " Security guards? Is that really necessary? Can't you just mind control whoever's doing something bad or teleport them off the ship? "

" The whole point of this ship is so that I don't have to do so much work. It's supposed to run by itself. "

" Yeah, I guess that makes sense. "

" Right. Let's go see your cabin. " Aphrodite lead Jon through a maze of hallways and staircases, eventually they arrived at cabin 378.

" Here we are. Your new home away from home. " Aphrodite pushed open the door and moved aside so Jon could see. The room was decent sized, not big but not small. It was positioned between two other rooms so there was no windows. The bed was large and up against the left wall. It had blue sheets like the color of Jon's shirt. There was a bathroom in the far right corner of the room. Another door, Jon assumed was a closet, was set in the right wall. " Don't just stand there. Go inside. " Jon walked in with Aphrodite trailing behind. Aphrodite sat down on the bed. " It's not the nicest room, but it does it's job. Open up the closet. " He did as she asked. The closet had more shirts and shorts like the ones Jon was wearing. " If you need anything other than your work uniform just ask me. I doubt you'll remember how to get here later tonight so there's signs you can follow or I can just teleport you here. "

A loud horn suddenly blared. " Ah! Looks like we're about to set sail. Let's go see where you'll be working. " Jon and Aphrodite went through another maze of hallways, brushing past passengers and ship workers. Ten minutes later, they arrived on the main deck of the ship. There was a giant pool in center of the ship. Balloons were tied on the railings, pool chairs, and anywhere else you could think of. Passengers walked around checking the place out. Most were still carrying luggage, a few were already laid out on the chairs or swimming. Two large structures were built at the front and back of the ship. Tables and chairs were arranged all throughout the deck. " This were you'll be working. This entire deck is your workspace. The place you report to is right over here. Come on. "

They walked to the far structure. Ship workers greeted Aphrodite respectfully as they passed. " Do these people know who you actually are? A goddess I mean. " Jon asked.

" A privileged few do. Many think I'm the president of a wealthy company. Either way they know I have power. " Aphrodite replied happily.

Jon couldn't deny that Aphrodite had an imposing presence. She just kind of oozed power out of every pore on her body. Aphrodite must scare even the people who don't know what she really is. " Through here. " Aphrodite gestured towards twin glass doors. The doors led to waiting room type area. There were blue lounge chairs scattered around. The entire front wall with the doors was glass. A large front desk was a few feet past the doors. It had the sun/heart symbol on it and a woman stood smiling behind it.

" Good to see you again, Miss Aphrodite. And this must be the new guy you were telling me about. What's your name, sweetie? " she said.

The woman was of average height with curly brown hair that hung loose around her head, not quite touching her shoulders. She wore a blue jacket with the symbol on the left breast and a white blouse underneath. Jon could see she wore a little bit of make up, but not too much.

Jon extended his hand to her " Jonathan Bennett. Everyone calls me Jon though. And your... Clarissa. " Jon said reading her name tag. It also said she was a staff manager.

Clarissa took Jon's hand in a firm grip and they shook. " Yep, that's me. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm your boss. But don't worry, Aphrodite already made it clear you're a special case. I couldn't fire you even if I wanted to. I doubt I'll ever want to though. You seem like a good kid. " Jon's first impression of Clarissa was that she was nice and peppy, she also spoke very quickly.

" Well, Clarissa can take care of you from here on out. If you need anything you know how to reach me. I have to get back to my office. " Aphrodite snapped, disappearing in a plume of smoke.

Jon stood still, looking at the dissipating smoke with a stunned expression. " Did she really just do that in front of Clarissa? " he thought in disbelief.

Clarissa gave a short laugh, holding her hand to her mouth." Don't worry, Jon. I know what Aphrodite really is. In fact, I'd be so bold as to say we're friends. "

" Are you serious? Hasn't she ever done anything bad to you? "

" She does the occasional prank. Some worse than others. "

" How long have you known her? " Jon asked, not believing what he was hearing.

" Three years. I applied for a job as a bartender and Aphrodite took a shining to me. Now, here I am a staff manager. Being cool with the boss has its perks. "

" Wow, lucky you. "

" Aphrodite told all about what she's done with you. I don't think I've ever met someone with a foot fetish. Might have to have you give me a foot rub sometime. These heels are killer on my feet. Oh! Speaking of that, did Aphrodite fill you in on your job? "

" Sorta. "

Clarissa reached under the desk and came up with a bottle of lotion, plastic stool, and a clipboard. " The stool and lotion are for the massages obviously. The clipboard is take orders for the night sessions or you could give them the phone number and they could schedule it later. There's also directions for the ship. That's for when you get hungry and such. People just wave you over when they want a massage. There are a few other guys working at the same time, so you won't get overworked. We only offer massages for girls. Did Aphrodite tell you your hours? "

Jon had taken the stool, lotion, and clipboard. He put the lotion and a pen in each pocket. " Yep. "

" Okay! If you have any questions ask Aphrodite or I'll be here all day. We're about to depart. Get out there, champ. You're gonna do great! " Jon took a long breath and walked out the door.