- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Operation Aphrodite's Downfall is a go!
Fleeting Love: Chapter 12

Jon's eyes suddenly snapped open. Sunlight filtered through the slot window above his bed. Slowly, he sat up and stretched his arms with a yawn. He sat in silence for a moment and looked down at his scarred hands. It had been roughly five months since Jon had come to the Isle of Amazons. He felt and looked like a different person than the one that had washed up on the beach.

Jon stood up and went to the chest on the opposite side of the room. Opening it up, he pulled out a small hand mirror. The scar over his left eye wasn't red anymore, but was still noticeable. In the last few weeks of his training he'd started sparring with Evandre. She told him it wasn't required, but that she wanted to push him to his limits.

Evandre was a fierce and very capable fighter. It took days for him to even be able to put up a meager defense. Eventually, the day came when Evandre decided they were ready for a real fight with real swords. Jon was incredibly nervous, he doubted he'd last a minute against her in an all-out fight. In the end, he put up a good fight but Evandre won by a large margin.

In the process he'd also gotten a new scar along the line of his jaw, which was now covered with a little bit of stubble. His hair was long enough to start falling into his vision now and the top was fairly sun-bleached. Jon's formerly somewhat pale skin was now tanned. Possibly the biggest change was Jon was now muscular. The muscles in his arms and legs were defined even when he wasn't flexing them.

Jon sighed and tossed the mirror back into the chest. Yesterday, when he'd arrived at Evandre's for training she told him to wait a moment because she had news. Athena and Evandre had spoken and agreed that Jon was as good as he was going to get with short term training. If they waited much longer to enact Athena's plan, Aphrodite likely would be too suspicious of him for it to work. They decided that yesterday would be his last day of training and today was his last day on the Isle of Amazons.

Evandre seemed oddly sad that he was leaving. He didn't think they'd become that close or Evandre the type to grow attachments to people, especially a random boy that she was pretty much forced to train. As he was leaving, Nathan stopped him and said good-bye. Evandre kneeled down in front of him, she was still quite taller than him, and put a hand on his shoulder.

" Well, Jon. To be honest, I didn't expect much when you first came to me, but you proved me wrong in every way. You were one of the best students I've had the honor of teaching. Remember what we've taught you. Good luck. "

Jon couldn't help himself, he leaned forward and hugged Evandre.

" Thank you for everything, Evandre. "

There was an awkward moment where she didn't say anything and didn't return the hug, but after a few moments she sighed and patted him on the back.

" You're welcome, Jon. " she had said.

Jon sat back down on his bed. Despite everything that happened on this island, a part of him was going to miss it and all the people he had met here. Suddenly, Athena appeared in front of Jon. She was wearing pretty much the same outfit he'd seen when he met her the first time. A long, white dress that only showed her arms and the bronze helm that concealed most of her face.

" Hello, Jon. "

" Athena. "

" Are you ready to leave? "

" I guess, but before we do I have a favor to ask. Can you make sure everyone who I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to gets the message? I would appreciate it. "

" Of course. It is already done. "

" Thanks. So, what's this plan you've got? "

" I'll tell you about that in a moment. First, let's move somewhere more private. "

The area around them changed from Jon's room to trees and bushes with dirt underfoot.

" The jungle? Why out here? "

" Because that's out here. "

The goddess pointed behind him. Jon turned to see what looked like a bunch of logs tied together to make a platform.

" Is that a raft? Do you expect me to paddle all the way back to Aphrodite's ship? "

" Of course not, Jon. It's part of the plan. "

" Alright. Please enlighten me. "

" As I already told you, you cannot simply wear the Chthonian coin at all times. Aphrodite would instantly know something's wrong. When she retrieves you, she will most likely read your mind. If she sees any of the things we've talked about she'll kill you on the spot. So, we have to make it so you don't remember anything and you can't have the coin until you've been on the ship for a few days. "

" You... want to erase my memory? Is that safe? "

" It is entirely safe. I'm not going to erase your memory, more like rewire your brain. I'm going to have your memories of everything that happened since you arrived on this island. Do not worry, I will return them when this is all over. In their place, I will give you false memories of being held prisoner here. Aphrodite will be slightly suspicious I expect, but with no tangible reason for it. She'll let it go with time. I'll make it so you subconsciously know your mission, a desire you are unaware of. When an opportunity to take Aphrodite's necklace comes you will put on the coin and your memory will return. "

" You can do all of that? "

" Jon, please. I am a goddess. I can do almost anything I want. "

" ...Alright. I'm trusting you. This all sounds very risky to me, but if this is your plan it's what we're gonna do. Go ahead. Rewire me. "

" Hold on. We have to make all of this more believable. Remove your clothes. "

" Whoa, what? "

" If you were a prisoner here, why would we give you clothes to wear? I'm asking as a courtesy to you. I can remove them myself. "

" Alright, alright. I'll do it. "

Jon pulled off his shirt and pants. He was already barefoot because he never put on his boots before Athena arrived. He no longer cared if anyone saw him naked, he was desensitized to it now.

" Now let's make you a little bit dirty. "

Athena waved her hand and Jon felt something start to coat his skin. Looking down, he saw his hands and feet were now covered in dirt.

" Is this necessary? "

" We have to make it look like you've been living out here for awhile. You need to be skinnier too. Less well-fed. "

Jon felt a tremendous pang of hunger and his stomach growled loudly. His muscles seemed to diminish under his skin.

" Oh, God. I think I'm gonna be sick. "

" The nausea will go away after a few minutes. On the good side, I think we're about done here. "

" Why'd you make my muscles smaller? What was the point of all that training if you were just going to get rid of them. "

" A prisoner wouldn't be quite as muscular as you were and the main point of the training was for you to learn the technique and skill of combat. Honestly, Jon did you think a fight with Aphrodite would come down to your strength? She may look like a five foot tall woman but she could give herself the strength of ten men. "

" Well that's comforting. "

" Do not worry, Jon. I have the utmost faith in you and I will be helping you as much as possible. "

" Alright. Let's do this. "

Athena stepped forward and placed her hands on each side of Jon's head.

" Are you positive this is what you want to do? This is your last chance to walk away. If this does go wrong, Aphrodite will torture you for the rest of your life. "

" If I don't do this she'll torture me for the rest of my life anyways. I made my decision. Do it. "

" You are brave for a mortal. Good luck, Jonathan. I'll see you when this is all over. "

A bright, white light flashed in Jon's eyes and then there was nothing...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jon's vision slowly returned to him. Sometime during the blinding flash of light he had fallen on one knee. He had also gotten a splitting headache.

" Ahhhhhh... What happened? "

Jon looked around him, holding his head. He was still in the jungle, the raft seemed fine.

" Aphrodite? Was that you? " he called out in his mind.

There was no reply from the goddess.

" What was I expecting? I haven't heard from her in months. She probably thinks I'm dead. "

Jon went over to the raft and grabbed the length of rope he'd tied to it. He put the rope over his shoulder and started dragging the raft behind him.

" It's time to get off this god damn island. " Jon said angrily.

He could hear the ocean lapping at the beach nearby. It was time to see if his idea would even work, if not he wasn't going to last very long. The amazons had told Jon that Aphrodite could not set foot on this island and that her magic couldn't reach it. He had hypothesized awhile ago that if he could get far enough away from the island, Aphrodite might be able to save him. On the other hand, there was the chance he was completely wrong. What if Athena or her amazons recaptured him before he escaped?

" No, now's not the time for doubt. Have to keep moving. "

Up ahead Jon saw a break in the suffocating jungle. It was the beach! He picked up pace and broke out onto the beach.

" Yes! I can almost taste sweet freedom! " he shouted.

Jon pushed the raft the rest of the way into the water until it came up to his waist. He climbed on and started to paddle with his hand, the tide did most of the work. When he looked back there were no amazons bursting out of the jungle after him.

" I guess that's a good sign. "

Jon floated out on the ocean for about twenty minutes. He waited until he got a good distance from the island and called out for Aphrodite.

" Aphrodite! Please! Help! " Jon shouted at the heavens.

One moment he was staring out at open ocean, the next the goddess of love was standing in front of him in a fancy office.

" Jonathan! " she cried out and hugged him.

Jon looked around in a daze. The office had a long, curved window stretching around most of it, revealing the outside world. The sky and the ocean were all he could see for miles around. A large wooden desk sat on a raised section of floor. An ancient looking globe was placed next to the desk. Two leather chairs were placed in front of the on the lower part of the floor. A small table stood between the chairs. There was a lamp next to each chair. The rest of the room was behind him.

A light bulb suddenly switched on in Jon's mind. Aphrodite was shorter than him. He was at least a foot taller than her. He wasn't two feet tall anymore!

" A-Aphrodite? Is it really you? "

" Yes, foolish boy. Of course it's me. Where have you been? You look terrible. " Aphrodite said stepping back.

A tingling sensation washed over Jon as the dirt that covered him vanished. A white robe materialized in her hand, which she gave him. Jon quickly put it on and tied a knot in the front.

" Come on. Have a seat. I'm sure you're very tired. " Aphrodite went over to the desk and sat atop it. Jon settled into one of the chairs. " Would you like something to drink? Water, maybe? "

" Yes, please. "

A glass of water appeared on the table. Jon downed more than half of it in a few gulps.

" So, Jon. Where have you been these past few months? "

" The Isle of Amazons. "

" I thought so. What did those brutish women do to you? Did Athena speak to you? "

" Well, one of them caught me wondering in the jungle after I washed up on shore. She brought me to the city so the queen could decide what to do with me. The amazons could tell your magic was all over me and thought I was your spy. She decided I would be the amazon who captured me's prisoner. Her reasoning was that if you did come looking for me you'd start in the city. The amazon who found me, Phoebe, lived out in the jungle. She kept me in a birdcage. I stayed with her for a month or so and then a couple soldiers came to take me back to the city. They took me to some prison and started asking me questions about you. I told them I didn't know anything, that I was just your plaything... They didn't believe me. I was tortured. I'd rather not get into specifics. I was kept in the prison for pretty much the rest of my time on the island. One day they were taking me somewhere and I ran. My size came in handy. They couldn't find me. The next night I slipped out of the city. I slowly built a raft over the next couple days and made my way to the beach. Now I'm here. I never saw Athena. They told me she was their goddess, but never said anything else about her. " Jon explained.

" I've always hated those man-ladies. Look what they did to your face. Don't worry I can heal that easily. " Aphrodite said moving in front of Jon and reaching for his face.

Jon's hand snapped out, grabbing her wrist in midair.

" WHAT do you think you're doing?! " she yelled incredulously wrenching her hand out of his grasp.

Jon looked at his hand in stunned silence. He had merely wanted to brush her hand away, not catch it in a death grip.

" I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that. I guess I'm still a little jumpy. I can't really know why but I don't want you to heal the scars. I can't explain it. " Jon said balling his hand into a fist and dropping it in his lap.

Aphrodite glared at him a moment before speaking. " I'll let it go this time but never do that again. Understood? "

An unsettling aura seeped into the air, making Jon squirm in the chair.

" Yes. "

She stared at him with an incredibly angry expression for another moment, then went back to her usual happy self. " Good. Well, Jon I have to say this is troubling news. Athena hasn't done anything this bold in quite a few years. I'm afraid I will have to retaliate someway. Not sure how though. A few ideas are coming to mind. "

" Why do you have to retaliate? She didn't do anything to you. "

" Dear, boy. Have these past five months made you forget? You are mine. Ever since the day I first spoke to you in your head. Until the day I allow you to finally die. You are my favorite toy. An attack on my property is an attack on me. Athena's actions will not go unpunished. In the meantime, I imagine you need some rest. You don't have to worry about work for awhile. Take a couple days to relax and recuperate. I'll check in on you every now and again. "

Aphrodite pulled Jon to his feet.

" What about Alexis? I was really hoping to see her. "

" I'll tell her you're back. The poor girl has missed you so very much. Seeing her can wait until tomorrow. You need to wash off, eat some food, and have a good sleep. No argument. I'm sending you to your room right now. Don't even think of leaving it. "

Jon opened his mouth to protest, but stopped as Aphrodite was replaced by a white ceiling. He felt the plush surface of a mattress under his back. He laid on the bed for a few minutes, just enjoying the feel of it.

" You never know what you'll miss 'til you lose it. "

With a sigh, he stood up and went to take a nice shower.