- Text Size +

Parker spent most of his life in fear.  Fear of rejection.  Fear of pain.  Fear of something bigger than his existence.  Quickly, Parker increasingly found out, fear led to loneliness.  From there, fear cemented his life into a state of seclusion.  He desperately wanted to escape the depression that had tormented him in his late teens into present day, trying therapy, even antidepressants, to no avail.  After so many failed attempts at breaking free, Parker seemed destined to live his life as so many people do – as one of many.  He would fulfill his purpose.  He would go to work, pay his taxes, and basically function as a miniscule part in the greater machine that is society.  The question is; is each small part essential?  Would the balance of the world be swayed if one part was rendered incapable of doing its job?  What is Parker’s importance, if there is any?  This was unclear, possibly irrelevant as Parker was dangerously unconscious in the dark depths of his eccentric friend’s boot.

“I heard that it does weird shit to you, like beyond the physical stuff,” A dirty blonde-haired girl in a sea-green dress said in a gossipy tone.

“My sister’s best friend’s cousin knew somebody who died from taking it!” A cute-looking redheaded girl said, the entire table of about eight girls letting out a collective gasp at this news.

“Guys, please.  A drug that supposedly grows and shrinks people? Why are we even talking about this?  I mean, there’s drugs that make you see some crazy stuff, but that’s serious bullshit.  I’m sure that someone just had a bad trip.” A cheerleader-type blonde in a fitting burgundy dress cattily said.

“But what if some of those rumors are true… I mean, it can’t be too far off, right?  Steroids do some wild things to your body size,” the blonde in the sea-green dress said questioningly.

“Like shrinks guys’ penises!” The red-haired girl exclaimed, the table erupting in a fit of laughter.

One girl, a tall, brown-eyed brunette in a strapless white dress, perked up and leaned over the table, saying, “But…how funny would that be, even if it isn’t true?  Imagine shrinking your boyfriend if you got mad at him or something?”

“Too bad you don’t have one, Ava!” The burgundy blonde said, sending the table into another laughing fit.  Upon seeing Ava flush red, she said, “Awe, c’mon.  I’m sure that we’ll find you someone to dance with tonight.”

“Yeah…I hope so.”  An awkward silence filled the table as Ava sadly responded.

“Speaking of…Dinner’s over, so…Let’s go dance or something!”  The redhead suggested, to which the table quickly responded by erupting into a quick session of reapplying their make-up and primping their hair.  

“What’s this shit under the table? I need to put my stuff somewhere,” The burgundy blonde said.

“Just shove it out of the way, Colleen.” the girl in the sea-green dress said.

Colleen, brushing her straightened blonde hair out of her face, carelessly kicked a large purse accompanied by two tall boots out of the way and further under the table.  The boots were overturned and the bag was as well, but it was luckily zipped shut so nothing fell out.  Regardless, the popular blonde hardly cared as she put her stuff in its place and resumed touching up her make-up.

Parker awoke to a strong case of sensory overload.  His entire world shifting and falling into place.  A blinding light.  Loud giggles and chatter from overhead.  This time, it didn’t take Parker long to remember that he was only inches tall, in his friend’s footwear, at a high school prom.  Light pouring into the abysmal boot, Parker realized that the boot was now on its side, so he wasted no time in literally sprinting to the exit of the enormous shoe for fear that the little fortune that was just granted to him would run out.  For psychological reasons, that may have not been the best idea.

Despite being greeted by some much-needed air, Parker’s glorious escape segued into another horrifying situation.  He wasn’t sure what to be more afraid of:  The sheer enormity of the underside of the round dinner table, a reference point for his new size compared to the outside of Victoria’s boots, the gauntlet of massive, strappy, high-heeled shoes surrounding the table, or a combination of the three.

Suddenly, there was mass commotion as the giantesses stood up from their seats, put their belongings back in their bags, and began to leave for the dance floor.  The ground shook violently with the ruckus, scaring the heck out of Parker.  However, what he saw next nearly stopped his heart.  An enormous blonde in a burgundy dress that left little to the imagination dipped under the table, commanding every bit of Parker’s attention.  He stood still in awe of the skyscraper-sized young woman.  Even bending down, she was still a sight to behold.  From her big and second toes peeking out of her heels to her billboard-sized face, she could have passed as the eighth wonder of the world.  For the first time, Parker came to the full and utter realization of how tiny he really was.  He was absolutely helpless.  She was far from noticing the stunned miniature person further under the table, however, slipping her make-up back in her bag and speeding away to catch up with her friends.

Holy fuck, I need to get my wits about me.

“Ava, come with us.  I know that you’ve had a rough couple of weeks, but this is your senior prom.  We’ll have some fun.”

“I’ll…I’ll catch up with you guys.  It’s okay, really.”

“Alright, honey.  I’ll be back soon, okay?”

“Okay.”

Parker turned his attention to the other side of the coliseum-sized table in the direction of the loud voices overhead, where his opportunities for survival were starting to present themselves.  In the distance, there was a lone pair of legs, leading down to two oversized feet encased in classy, white heels that showcased two freshly pedicured feet.  Having learned from his experience with his now-gigantic coworker, he knew how precious time now was.  He was beginning to grow weak from malnutrition, but sheer adrenaline, a new sensation for him, was now driving his actions.  Parker quickly scanned the area around him and weighed his options.

Alright, there’s no way I’m staying anywhere near those god-awful boots. Even staying on the ground is a horrible decision at this point.  Her purse is way too big; there’s no way that I can climb onto it. Plus, it’s zipped closed.  Regardless, I need to find help soon.  She could come for her stuff now, or in five hours.  I can’t risk it.  But this girl…She doesn’t look like she’s going anywhere in the next 15 minutes or so.  Her handbag is on the ground, and it’s open and much smaller.  If I manage to avoid her feet and attach myself to something in her bag, she’ll have to see me.  From there, she can take me to Victoria.  At least I hope so.

Parker’s mind was working in ways that he never thought possible.  He was concerned with the fact that it took a near-death situation to do so, but he wasn’t complaining.  He was finally feeling something other than lackadaisical depression; he wasn’t sure how to feel about that either.  Afraid that her massive comrades would soon return, he shoved these conflicting thoughts out of his head and ran towards the handbag.    

As he jogged, the girl’s feet seemingly became bigger and bigger.  Parker slowed his pace as he neared the seemingly harmless pretty pair of feet.  It was almost cinematic as he gazed at the monstrous obstacles; chills were sent down his spine every time she scrunched or lifted her toes.  He was struck by the fact that something so innocent, like this girl’s feet, which she no doubt spent time pampering in preparation of this night, could end his very existence without her knowledge.  He felt insignificant.  Before he made a final sprint towards her bag, whatever monster that was in Parker’s head wrapped him in a sea of self-doubt and uncertainty.

One move and I’m dead.  Gone.  Squished like a fucking bug.   Hell, I was safer cowering by Victoria’s boots.  At least I would be crushed by someone that I knew.  Fucking hell.  I have nothing to lose anyway, I’m doing this.

With that, Parker took a heavy, quivering breath and raced towards the bag as if he was Usain Bolt himself.  He tried to ignore her intimidating feet as he passed them, the memories of his time with Victoria and the amazon’s feet still fresh in his mind.  Sweating and breathless, Parker amazingly made it to the base of the handbag.  Now out from under the cover of the table, Parker was struck with even more paralyzing shock as he saw the rest of the banquet hall from his new perspective.  He saw teachers, students, and event staff alike, all looming far above his head, taking impossibly long strides as they passed by further in front of him.  Although none of this of particularly good for his psyche, Parker continued to be lost in this new frontier, even craning his neck to the heavens to catch a glimpse of his potential savior. 

God, she’s beautiful.

Now, this young woman was a true goddess.  Wearing a pristine white dress, this girl looked straight angelic, with her hair cascading into curls past her bare shoulders.  As for her demeanor, however, she had her nose buried in her phone, looking uncomfortable and somewhat sad.  It took great effort for Parker to snap himself out of the trance that his surroundings were putting on him, quickly reminding himself that this sweet goddess was equally as treacherous, even if she didn’t know it.  Time was also of the essence.  Parker then focused on her open handbag, inspecting it for a way up.

Things are definitely looking up.

Parker’s newfound string of good luck continued, as he noticed that the bag had a colorful checkered design, each square roughly half his height.  The outline of every square was indented.  Parker had no trouble in figuring out what he had to do.  He speedily grabbed an indentation and pulled himself up, securing his feet on the indentation below him.  With a little bit of effort, Parker made it to the top of the bag.  He stood by the zipper and peered into the cavernous bag, noticing various cosmetics.

She has her phone in her hands. What is she likely to use or look at soon?

Parker’s thoughts were interrupted by the abrupt sound of sniffling from above. 

Is she…crying?   

Before Parker had a chance to find out, the girl scooted her chair out, stood up, and reached towards her bag.  Impulsively, Parker jumped into the bag with his arms open, as if he was jumping out of an airplane.  He managed to grab onto a thick, rod-like object.  As the girl zipped up the bag, he hugged the object like it was a tree that he was going to climb.  Parker’s luck was starting to run out, as the bag shot into the air, making Parker feel as if he entered zero gravity for a brief moment.

Putting her head down, the girl sped towards the bathroom, Parker struggling not to lose his grip and fall further into her purse, which would put him into another hazard where he could be crushed.  The young woman encountered a few curious stares as she burst into the empty bathroom.  With a bone-shaking thud, the handbag was slammed onto the sink counter. 

The music, the voices, all of the commotion ceased.  Stillness.  Quiet.

Soft weeping.  The beautiful girl looked into the mirror and cried.  It was unclear why; Parker clenched the object that he was on, closed his eyes, and prayed that everything would be alright.  The only sounds that he could hear was the girl’s weeping and the thumping of his heart.

This girl is my only hope right now.

The crying began to die down and the sink was turned on; the noise sounded like a waterfall to Parker’s ears.   After some more noises that Parker assumed was her washing her face, the water stopped.  This was followed by another eternal silence.

The calm was pierced by light illuminating the inside of the handbag as the pretty girl unzipped it.  Nervously shaking, Parker held his breath as two brobdingnagian fingers took an item next to him captive.  He heard a “click” as she opened whatever it was and another clank as she put it back in its place.

She must be doing her make----

Parker was squished into the object that he was holding onto, presumably by her thumb, and violently jerked into the air, his fear masking the sickness that his stomach was experiencing.  The girl was obviously was still upset, hastily making all of her movements.  He heard another “click,” followed by some quick twitching movements from the object. He also didn’t dare attempt to peek out and see what she was doing.  A brief moment later, Parker was not struck by fear; this time another feeling overcame his being.  It was a feeling of rationalization, a moment of clarity.  Some might even interpret it as courageousness.

“HERE!!! HEY! HELP!!! PLEASE!”

Parker screamed louder and longer than he had ever screamed before; he needed salvation.  And by god, he got it.

Unexpectedly, the girl, who was applying her mascara, quickly lowered her brush.  She looked down at it, and noticed that the brush, which she had been holding between her thumb and index finger, had a new attachment.  It was now squirming and yelling, trapped under her thumb.

“AH!”

The girl dropped the brush into the sink in shock.  She was so emotional that she hadn’t realized it when she picked her brush up.  Hell, maybe she was so emotional that she was now not seeing straight.  Despite this uncertainty, she looked at it with a mixture of horror, curiosity, doubt, and possibly…a small hint of excitement.  The conversation that she had before.  It couldn’t be.  She was sure that it wasn’t.  She brushed her hair out from her face, revealing her large, pretty brown eyes, and slowly leaned in closer.

What she saw defied everything she thought was possible.  What she saw would change her life.

It was true.