- Text Size +

I watched my tiny little brother run into the house. I followed and closed the door behind me and just stared at him when he stopped to turn at me. I didn't want to be harsh on him because I loved him and his birthday was tomorrow, but  he needs to know what he did was not okay. He looked nervous, in fact I think he was shaking a little."Danny, please don't be scared okay. I'm not going to yell, I just want to talk, but first we need to attend to your face, so come here so I can carry you to the bathroom and tend to your fucked up face.


In the bathroom, I put Danny on the bathroom counter then opened the mirror and looked for the medicine that reduces swelling. I saw Danny touching his swollen shut eye, then said "Gross Danny, don't touch it please."


"Why? It's not like its going to explode right?" Danny said still poking it.


"Just stop okay." I said starting to get a little annoyed


"Chill sis, its nothin."


"Listen to me! I said stop it so stop it!"I loudly snapped. Danny did as I told him. I think that was time I actually snapped at him like that.  "Sorry." Great, now I feel worse. I grabbed the anti-swelling medicine and got a cotton swab then dipped it into the medicine. Danny sat down criss-crossed. I kneeled on my left knee so I can be at eye level with him while I gently rubbed the swob all over his face.


" Elena."


"Yes Danny."


"Why aren't you at the work?"


“The hospital called me as I was getting dressed and said I didn’t need to come in today.” I work as a doctor for a nearby hospital. After that there was a long moment of silence."I'm almost done, just a little bit longer okay."


"Hey." Danny said with a serious expression. I could tell that it was serious because the swelling was going down.


"Yes Danny."


"I assume you're wondering about who that was and why he wanted to kill me?” I stopped the treatment because i was finally finished. I looked in his eyes.


“Danny, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. I don’t need to know anymore than I do. I know you don’t like to talk about it anyway. All I need to know is if you’ll do something as stupid as what you did an hour ago.”


“Elena, I’m sorry that I broke your dumb rule okay.”


“Dumb!?!” I stood up and started to glare down at him. “Dumb rule? I made that dumb rule for your own protection Danny! And look what happened to you when you disobeyed! I don’t think you realize that YOU ALMOST DIED! If I didn’t come when I did you could've... you could’ve.” I started to cry. I just couldn’t handle the thought of him dying and leaving me.


“I’m not your pet Elena!”


“And I didn’t say you're my pet! I don’t think of you that way. How could you even think that?”


“Well I feel like it, when say I can’t go outside!” Maybe I have been a little strict with that rule, but no. He almost died today and I can’t overlook that.


“Well i'm sorry Danny, but what I say is final. You can’t leave this house without me ever, and if you do there will be consequences beside your face being beaten to a bloody pulp! Do I make myself clear?” Danny just sat there in complete silence and looked away from me. “I’m going to seal up that crack in the wall Danny.”

“You can’t do that!” He said facing me.


“Actually I can and I will. You’ll just use it again to go outside and who is to say a tiny like Robert won’t go through the crack and try to kill you huh? It’s safer this way.” Danny stood up and looked at me with a stone cold expression on his face.


“Were you going to really crush Robert?” That question made my heart skip a beat. I stopped crying. For a few moments I didn’t speak because I didn’t want to answer, but he just kept looking at me. Just kept looking at me with those eyes.


“Yes Danny... I was going to squish him.” The answer shocked Danny. He even took a few steps back.


“I don’t believe you.”


“I was Danny. The only reason I hesitated was because you were there, and I didn’t want you to see me do it. He was really lucky that you actually cared about his tiny insignificant and worthless life.”


“Stop it Elena, this isn’t funny.”


“It’s the truth Danny, I would of-”


“THAT’S ENOUGH!” He yelled . I was surprised at him. I never heard him yell at me like that before. “How could you even think about killing him? You stopped him and that’s all you had to do, why take it to such extremes?” Danny was right. I shouldn’t of tired to kill him, but he deserved to die. No one should harm my little brother and live to tell the story. “That’s not who you are Elena! You’re sweet, kind, and gentle. That wasn’t you out there.” But it was me. I don’t want to tell Danny, but that wouldn’t of been the first time a killed a tiny. Robert would've been among the countless hundreds of men I’ve killed.I can’t tell Danny about my past, because if he knew he would leave me and never comeback. “Well! Aren’t you going to say something?”


“Am sorry Danny.” With that I walked out of the bathroom, went downstairs to the couch, put my hands over my eyes, and started to cry again.