- Text Size +

I wake up earlier than expected. I look at the window. Its still dark. I guess I have a couple more hours until breakfast. I look to my left and see Jack. He's asleep with his head at the foot of the bed and his leg is hanging off the bed while his blanket is on the floor. I chuckle because of the way he sleeps. I get out of my bed and walk over to his. I put his leg back on the bed and I cover him with the blanket. All he does is shift. I smile walk to the window of my little "house".

My friend, Mark, made me a wooden house in his woodshop class. He made it perfect. Everything is my size. I think he made it a couple years ago. My mom painted it and but little furniture in there. And I have to say, it looks like a real house. Speaking of woodshop, I've always wanted to go to real school. Meeting new people, learning things my mom couldn't teach. My mom has home-schooled me since I could walk. Don't get me wrong, she's a good teacher, but there were "some" things she couldn't teach me about.

Anyways, I look out my window and look across the wide valley of Selena's room. She's sleeping right across from my house. My house is on her bookshelf, right next to her radio and her jewlery. Sometimes, I turn up the radio and listen to music. Of course, Selena walks in and tells me to lower the volume. So, I do. Her room is giant at my size. Like an airplane hangar. Theres a little staircase leading up to the house that me and Jack use.

Today is my birthday. I'm finally 15. And, I know what I want. I'm finally going to ask my mom if I can got to real school. Since I'm 15, I am eligible to go to high school with my sister. Hopefully, my mom will say yes. I always wanted to see other people who aren't my brother and sisters and my mom. I want to learn more and see the outside world. Then again, she might say no. At my current size, I can easily be stepped on. The thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

My thoughts are interrupted by a very familiar voice.

"Happy Birthday Micheal." Says Jack, half asleep. He gets up out of his bed and walks over to me. "What are you doing?"

"I..... I don't know." I say, "I guess just looking out the window? And thank you Jack, today is going to be great. But, you need to go back to bed."

"You need to too!"

"I know. I be there right now. Let me just.... finish."

"Okay. Goodnight. I think." Then he walks back to his bed and falls asleep all to quickly. I'm startled by a loud noise in the kitchen. Jack bolts upright and looks at me.

"What Was That!?" he says scared.

I shake my head and say "I don't know. Let me check."

"I'm coming with you." He says bravely, as if he's going on a mission.

"No," I say, "you need to stay here. If I don't come back in a couple minutes, wake Selena. I'll be right back." He nods and looks out the window. I start on my way down the staircase. The steps are jagged and uneven, but I can still walk down them. On my descent, I pass several books. One, which is my favorite, being "The Borrowers". I've read that books so many times, I could recite any paragraph on any page. The thought of hiding among humans and "borrowing" their things, like in the book, excited me.

Anyways, I reach the floor and walk towards the kitchen. Its pitch black and I can barely see a thing. You're probably wondering why a 3-inch-tall 15-year-old is doing investigating a sound in the kitchen. You're also probably asking "If its something bad, what are you going to do? You're 3 inches tall!". Well, I can't just stay in my house! It can be a burglar! I can alert my sis- "HEY!"

I stop dead in my tracks. The voice came from behind me. I slowly turn around and see Jack, running towards me out of breath.

"What Are You Doing Here!?" I say.

"Selena," he says, huffing, "isnt..... there...."

"What do you mean she isn't there?"

He catches his breath and says "I got scared so I went to wake up Selena. When I got to the top of the bed, she was gone!"

"Then," I say, with a hint of fear in my voice, "where is she, and what was on her bed?"

My brother looks up and points. I turn around, facing the kitchen. The light turns on and I see Selena, Jazzmine, and my mom with a cake with the candle "15" on it.

"SURPRISE!!!" They yell, nearly blowing my ears out. My mom holds the cake while Jazzmine blows on a horn and pulls the string on one of those "Confetti Cannons" and a ton of colorful, little strings burst out, making a loud "POP!" To my surprise, Selena is smiling while she holds a small box covered with wrapping paper and a little bow. I'm guessing my present.

I smile and Jazzmine kneels next to me. She lays her hand palm side up on the floor. Me and Jack step on. She carefully lifts us to the counter. She places her palm on the marble counter and we walk onto it. She removes her and my mom places the cake next to me.

She says "Happy Birthday sweetie!" and lowers the cake until I'm in blowing distance of the candle. I take in a deep breath and blow out the yellow flame. She smiles and grabs a knife. She cuts a small piece and places it on a napkin. She does the same thing for Jack. Then, she cuts bigger pieces for Jazzmine and Selena.

I sink my teeth into the cake. It tastes sweet..... and sugary. I watch everyone eat their cake. After we finish, I ask "Mom, why did you do this so early in the morning?"

"We wanted to surprise you. Also, when Selena was getting the candles from her room, she saw you were awake, so we hurried and here we are."

"Gee. Thanks mom. And thank you Selena and Jazzmine." Jazzmine smiles while Selena just stands there.

Then, she talks, "Here, this is your present from me and Jazzmine."

"Jazzmine and me, sweetie." My mom sometimes corrects us.

Selena places the box on the counter, next to me. I tear the wrapping off but I carefully take off the bow. I open the box that was under the wrapping. Its an Iphone. A big one.

"A Phone?! AWESOME!!!!" I look at Jazzmine and Selena. I raise up my arms and say "Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!" Surprisingly, Selena picks me up first and holds me to her cheek.

She chuckles and says "No prob, little bro'." I hug her cheek and enjoy this moment. These kind of moments are a rarity to me.

Jazzmine stomps her foot and says "I helped to!" Selena carefully transfers me to Jazzmine's hand. She also brings me to her cheek and I hug it. Another rare moment. Then she puts me down so I can look at my new phone. It about 4 inches long and 3 inches wide

Selena then says "We packed it with all your favorite shows and movies. We also put a couple games in there."

"Thank you!" I say. Then, in the corner of the box, I see another Iphone, but my size. I pick it up and inspect it. Its like it was shrunk! It fits perfectly in my hand.

"How were you able to get this?"

Selena opens her mouth to say something but Jazzmine beats her to it. She says "It was hard, but we had it made for you!" with a smile. I turn it on and it works. I call the house and it works!

But then my mom says "Okay, we have to go back to bed. We'll celebrate the rest of your birthday later on, but now its time to go to bed." I nod and Selena picks me and Jack up, along with my presents. She walks into her room and places us at our house. Then, she places our little "TV" in the middle of Jack's and my bed, to the wall across. I put my new phone in my pocket and before I walk into my house, I yell Selena's name.

She turns around, walks up to me and says "What is Micheal?"

"I just wanted to say.... Thank you. This was a great gift. I love you big sister."

She smiles and gives me a kiss. "I love you too little brother." She walks away, into her bed, but turns off the light first. "Another rare and precious moment" I say to myself on my way to my bed.

"Another rare and precious moment."