- Text Size +
“Randall, you have to wake up. Randall, you need to wake up.” came a voice drifting into Randall’s consciousness. He was finally at peace and yet this voice was calling him back. Feeling a nudge that was on his shoulder that started to grow in strength; it got to the point that ignoring it became impossible.
“Rachel, shut up! Be gone from here you she-demon.”
“Randall you have to wake up to take your medicine. If you don’t I’ll tell Ashley when she gets back that you are refusing treatment.””
“Aaargh, I was finally able to fall asleep and I have to take more medicine.”
“Well, I wasn’t the one who went and got shot and stabbed.”
“Hey I dodged four of them. Besides, that guy was mentally insane.”
After Randall had lost consciousness, an ambulance had arrived to take him to the hospital. The man was a wanted criminal and was caught by police right after the incident. Ashley had to give a report to the authorities while Randall went through surgery. The surgery had taken eight hours with multiple blood transfusions, but Randall stayed unconscious for the next two days. Unfortunately, Randall’s immune system was lowered because of the surgery and he had caught a cold. The story of him protecting Ashley had spread throughout the hospital; that and the combination of his appearance made him the sole source of the nurses’ attention. Every time something would need to be done, at least three nurses would come in to do the job of one.
Because of Randall’s size, his body did not react well with any medication that was given to him. Between the constant attention, visits from friends, and the medication he was given. Randall got less sleep than he would have liked. The knife wound missed all of his organs and had only hit some arteries. The gunshot wound on the other hand had hit part of his bladder and gone through his lower abdominal muscle. This resulted in losing the ability to control any waste disposal which led to many embarrassing moments. Of course the nurses understood and would check on him constantly to see if he needed anything.
Ashley and Aaron had been a great help because they would bring back any school work that he needed and would help him understand anything that was new. Randall had to force Ashley to go to school once break was over. He wouldn’t be able to return to school until after winter break but would hopefully make a full recovery by the start of winter (December 21).
“Randall, I got your meal.” came the voice of his cheerful girlfriend as his mostly liquid diet was brought into the room.
“Yes, some food to wash away the taste of this medication that my beloved sister is trying to shove down my throat.”
“I am not trying to shove it down your throat, just trying to drug you up.”
“Yes you are, you’re trying to keep a gangsta down yo.”
“What type of gangsta are you?”
“A legit one, I got the bullet and stab room to prove it yo. You just jealous of my street cred, you know what I’m saying.”
“Randall, would you please stop playing around and take your medicine?” giggled his girlfriend.
These medications made it all but impossible for Randall to think properly so he would have to wait till after the effects to wear off to hold a conversation with anybody. Another reason was because he always felt guilty for having Ashley to stay with him as he was out of it. It was impossible to know what he would say under the influence of medication and he would not like to know otherwise. After drinking his meal of liquids and taking his medication, Randall started to drift off as his sister and girlfriend sat beside him talking as he finally drifted off. The last thought that came through his head as the medication took over was when he would get out of this hospital.

The beginning of the New Year at Grover High School was typical. After retelling his story for the millionth time, people finally stopped asking why he wasn’t at school. This gained Randall a new found respect from the majority of the student body. This didn’t reflect on the teachers who had sent him a mountain of homework every day. Arriving for Mr. Thacker’s class, Randall took his usual seat in front of Ashley as he waited for the class to start. Mr. Thacker was the chemistry teacher at Grover High and was one of the most animated teachers at the school.
“Alright class, let’s get started. Today we will be going how to get density of elements from concentrations.”
After making several references of sandwiches, bowling, and pizza; Randall started to understand how to convert using the periodic table to answer the questions. After the first forty minutes of class went by a knock was heard at the door. As the assistant principle tried to walk inside, he was stopped by Mr. Thacker.
“Get out of here!”
“But I got…”
“I said get out of here. I will not let you corrupt the minds of these little ones with your witchcraft and obviously fake tope Mr. Miller.”
“But Mr. Thacker I’ve got a new…”
“I do not care, I will not have the integrity and concentration of this class goes to waste as you are making a mockery of the founding of Paris at the beginning of the door step of my domain.”
“I really need you to introduce… Wait what did you say?”
“Oh, you have a new student. Why didn’t you just say so; class I shall return shortly.”
As Mr. Thacker and a very confused principle left the room, the classroom erupted in laughter and whispers about the new kid. Randall could care less as he spoke to Ashley about his plans for the weekend. New Year’s was mostly fun because Randall had spent it at Ashley’s house and ended up falling asleep before the New Year had actually began.
“Well my disciples, I shall introduce another one into our ranks. He has come over from Russia and will be attending this school for the next year. I would like to introduce Aleksandr Nicholas XI. I hope you will take him into our brotherhood and treat him kindly. Now back to class my minions.”
Quite a few people were shocked at the appearance of this kid. Aleksandr had pitch black curly hair that went past his shoulders. He had dark brown eyes and had pale white skin. His most noticeable feature was that he only stood 4’0” and looked like a slightly taller version of Randall. Randall and Ashley wondered what he would be like because neither of them had seen someone that was close to Randall’s size before.