- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
warning this chapter contains violence and foul language.

Finally got this chapter out and hope that you all enjoy it.
The start of Thanksgiving break had finally arrived, but more important than that was the fact that it was Ashley’s birthday. Making plans beforehand, Randall was going to make sure that today would be special for Ashley. They had planned on going to the mall today and have some fun. The only thing that was wrong was the fact that winter had come back earlier than expected. Randall hated the snow mostly because he could never retain body heat but Ashley loved the snow. After putting on a hoodie and pair of gloves, Randall made his way over to Ashley to see if she was ready.
Outside of his house was 20 degrees Fahrenheit with light snow flurries. Finally surviving the snow, Randall finally reached his destination and without hesitation made his way inside to try and recapture some of his lost body heat. Trying to see who had just came inside, Ashley found her boyfriend standing in the doorway wiping the snow off his hoodie. Ashley had been waiting for Randall to arrive, but wasn’t expecting him so soon. She was wearing a medium brown winter coat with a hood that had a fur lining. She also wore fluffy mittens and a pair of tan winter boots. Unlike Randall she had dressed for the weather. Randall just had a personal vendetta against beanies, mittens, or winter coats in general. He preferred to wear his white hoody with his black gloves. After drinking a cup of hot chocolate, they decided that they should start on their way to the mall.
The way to the bus stop was uncomfortable to say the least in Randall’s opinion. By now the cold had penetrated his hoody and had already numbed his ears. While waiting for the bus, Randall was walking around in circles while rubbing his hands together to produce more heat which wasn’t making a difference.
“Why don’t you wear a heavier coat?”
“Because they are too stiff and extremely uncomfortable.”
“And you are comfortable now?”
“Far from it actually and a coat wouldn’t help either because I can’t keep body heat.”
“What if I do this?”
“Hey, what are you doing!?”
Seeing that Randall was adamant with not wearing a jacket, Ashley decided to help him out. After unzipping her coat Ashley grabbed Randall off that ground and gave him a bear hug as she finished zipping her jacket back up. Randall on the other had had been mildly surprised by this and was trying to find his way towards sunlight. After a failed attempt at going towards an arm hole, which caused Ashley to start laughing, Randall finally made it out with his head poking out at the top. Resting her chin on top of Randall’s head, Ashley proceeded to wrap her arms around her chest to secure Randall close to her. Finally losing the will to fight after waves of heat started to go through him, Randall decided to let Ashley hold him while they waited for the bus.
“Feel better now?” said Ashley as she gently squeezed her boyfriend.
“A little actually, but you didn’t have to do that.”
“But I don’t want my boyfriend to die of frost bite before we start this date.”
Seeing as he couldn’t argue his point further, Randall let Ashley’s warmth seep in as the bus finally arrived. Even though the bus had arrived Ashley didn’t let Randall out of her coat and proceeded to hold him the entire bus ride much to Randall’s annoyance. Arriving at the mall, they decided to choose a movie to watch. It being Ashley’s turn, she decided to watch a new comedy movie that just came out. Unfortunately the movie wasn’t going to show for another two hours, Randall decided to take Ashley through the mall to kill some time until the movie started.
They ended up visiting several clothing stores just so that Ashley could get an idea of what to order online because nothing in this store would fit her. After they left the clothing store, they spent the rest of their time visiting several other stores such as a pet store, electronic, and even a jewelry store. After the two hours were up, Randall led the way back to the movie theater to buy the tickets. After showing his I.D and arguing with the cashier he was finally able to get the tickets and get inside the theater before the movie could start. The movie was extremely hilarious and both Randall and Ashley had an excellent time. After making their way out of the theater, they decided to go to the food court to grab a bite to eat before making their way back home. Arriving at the food court Ashley decided that they would be going back to Sherries to eat and to Randall’s dismay; Vicky was their waiter yet again. The overly happy waitress noticed the odd couple from before and decided to server them again.
“Awe, are you taking your big sis out on another date? That’s just sweet. Let me guess you two want a booth instead of a table.”
“Yes that sounds wonderful.”
Taking Randall by his hand, Ashley led the way to the booth and had given Vicky their drink orders.
“And I will say this again, why do we have to eat here?”
“Because it is a nice place and Vicky is a nice person.”
“But she continuously treats me like a kid.”
“That’s because you act like a kid sometimes.”
“Here are your drinks and I’ll be back to take your order sweetie.”
Much to Randall’s surprise was that three menus were delivered this time to their table. Two regular menus along with a kids menu with a coloring paper were placed on the table. What surprised Ashley was that Randall actually grabbed the kids menu while scooting the coloring sheet to his girlfriend.
“At least she has come to understand me this time.”
“It wasn’t that bad last time either.” After several minutes of idle chat Vicky finally arrived to take their orders.
“So what can I get you two?”
“I’ll take a Caesar Salad with the grill chicken meal. With the chicken I would like green beans and carrots this time.”
“Ok and I guess that you will take a mushroom swiss this time pumpkin
“No, I’ll actually take a hot dogger meal with pirate fries please.”
“All righty, I’ll be back in a jiffy.” said Vicky as she left to get the food.
“So you’re getting something reasonable this time.”
“Hey, I’m trying to act more mature than what I look here.”
“But are you sure ordering a kid’s meal is the best way to act more mature?”
“I don’t find it very tasteful to waste food so it’s whatever floats by boat.”
After finishing their meal and leaving a healthy tip, Randall suggested that they make their way home because it was getting late. When they had gotten outside it was already dark and the temperature had dropped down to 8 degrees Fahrenheit. Walking back to the bus stop together, they arrived with only one other person there. It was a man in his late forties that reeked of alcohol. It would take another twenty minutes for the next bus to arrive so Randall thought that he would give Ashley his gift now. Pulling out a small box from his pants pocket, Randall handed the small box to Ashley.
“Happy Birthday!”
“You didn’t have, what is it?”
“The best way to find out is to open it you know.”
After opening the package, Ashley was speechless as she found a golden chain with a locket attached to it. Inside the locket had both Ashley’s and Randall’s picture during this year’s Halloween.
“I thought that you might like it; I do have excellent taste after all. So what do you think?”
Ashley picked Randall off the ground and held him in a passionate kiss that lasted for a while. After they had separated they started to discuss what to do for the rest of Thanksgiving break until they were interrupted. The old man that had been with them had now gotten to his feet and was now facing Randall and Ashley.
“That’s quite a pretty necklace you have there. Would you mind if I hold on to it for you.” said the old man as he stumbled to stand up.
“It might be a good idea buddy to have a seat.” Randall said as he got off the bench to stand five meters away from the man.
“And it might be a good idea for you to shut the hell up!” As the man said this he pulled out a revolver pointing it at Randall.
“Ok, just calm down. We’ll give you what you want, just put the gun down.”
“You’ll give me anything I want huh? Hey you, freak, strip right here right now.”
Frozen with fear, Ashley stood there with tears welling up in her eyes. Randall was about to tell Ashley not to do it when he heard a gunshot go off. A few feet to Ashley’s side, a puff of snow flew into the air and the old man shot off a round at her.
“Did you not hear me you slut? I said strip right NOW!”
“Ashley you have to listen to me. It is too dangerous right now so I want you to get out of here and call the police because I’m about to get serious.”
“Randall…”
“Oh, so the little midget is going to stand up to me. Are you fucking stupid!”
“You’ve made a few mistakes; first you’ve threatened the girl that I love and second you’ve underestimated me.”
“Really now, how did I do that twerp? Do you have a death sentence!?”
“You are currently holding a .357 Smith and Weston Magnum. It holds six rounds and shoots at a speed of 393 meters per second. The average time to react and pull the trigger is .25 seconds, but adding in the fact that you are under the influence of alcohol and have no gloves on, I would say that time is cut down to .40 seconds for your first shot and .30 for your other shots. You are also shivering which is reducing your accuracy by 15% and you only have five rounds left. Now the question is whether you are confident enough that you can hit me.”
“Why you little…”
Before Ashley’s eyes, Randall took a step forward, pivoted on his right foot as the first round was fired. He took a step back while ducking and pivoting on that foot when the second shot went off. As soon as his right foot hit the ground, Randall used it to hop backwards and the third round went off. The fourth round fired as he took a step to the left while leaning. The final round was fired as Randall ducked and rolled towards his target. Standing right in front of the guy, Randall raised his face as the gun clicked as it was now empty. Throwing the gun to the side the old man pulled out a six inch blade from his pocket. Before the knife started to descend, Ashley saw a red patch started to show up on the back of his hoodie at the base of his rib cage. Ashley then realized that Randall hadn’t dodged all the bullets as the knife connected into Randall’s front. Hearing a crunch, the man tried to retract his knife when he noticed that the blade was broken to the hilt.
The man was about to attack Randall with his hands until police sirens started to go off nearby. As the man realized what was happening, he took off running as Randall started to fall backwards to the ground. Upon seeing Randall collapse on the ground, Ashley was broken from her trance as she started to rush over to Randall’s side. Blood had turned his white hoodie mostly red and Randall was trying to hold onto consciousness. Kneeling down by his side, Ashley pulled out her phone to call an ambulance as she felt a small hand grabs hers.
“Are you ok?” Randall asked looking up to Ashley.
“Why, why did you do that?” Ashley barely whispered looking into Randall’s eyes.
“He wouldn’t stop and I never want to see you to get hurt.” As Randall said this, his eyes started to close.
“Randall you have to stay with me! Randall hold on!” cried Ashley gripping his hand and praying that someone would pick up.
“Don’t worry…I’ll….always….be there….for you.” Randall started to choke as the last of the words came out.
“Please save your breath, help will be here soon. Please just hold on!”
“Ashley…I love you……….”
As Randall said these words, his consciousness was starting to black out whether he wanted it or not. Content that Ashley was safe, Randall drifted off to darkness.
“RAAAAAAANDAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!”
Chapter End Notes:
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Please review and tell me what you think.