- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Hey everyone! I'm taking a break from my "Unlucky" story at the moment until I can come up with some ideas for what to do with it. I just don't want to ruin the story because I quite like it myself. In the meantime, I hope this story will keep you entertained.

Matt has been an orphan his whole life. His father had died a few weeks before he was born and his mother had died shortly after giving birth, mainly from stress. He spent the majority of his life at happy-life orphanage. He was an extremely intelligent child and was the smartest child in the orphanage. He had also always been an outcast and had trouble making friends. Even at the orphanage, he was ignored by all of the kids. His only friends were the people who worked there. But his best friend at the time was a blonde haired, blue eyed woman by the name of Karen. She stood at 5'7 and always had her nails painted a pinkish-red colour. They would sometimes talk for hours, telling each other stories. Apparently, she had a son about his age.

It wasn't until Matt reached 4th grade that he made his first friend that was within his age range. His name was Bartholomew Rogers, or Barty for short. He was also quite socially awkward. It wasn't until they were paired up with each other in a lessen that they spoke to each other. After this, they did everything together. They had become best friends. Matt would always tell Karen about his new friend and everything they did together, and she always told him how happy she was for him. For the first time in his life, Matt had a friend. Until 6th grade. At 6th grade, Barty had to change schools because of a fight that had broken out within the school. His parents thought it would be unsafe for him to stay in that school. The boys decided to still see each other, even though Barty was changing schools. Seeing as it would be difficult for Barty to visit Matt in the orphanage, they decided that Matt would come over to Barty's house after school and they could hang out then.

Matt's school was slightly closer to Barty's house than Barty's school, so he arrived about 15 minutes before Barty did. He rang the door bell, and the door was answered by Barty's mother. It was Karen. Her face instantly lit up when she saw him and she embraced him in a hug.
"So Barty is this friend that you've been telling me all about!" she said. "I'm so glad."
"Thanks Karen." Matt replied. He was actually just as surprised as Karen about the situation.
Karen led Matt into the living room and they spoke for a while on the couch until Barty arrived. Karen left them and went into the kitchen to make them snacks and they went into Barty's room to play. This had become the daily routine. Matt would arrive before Barty, he would speak to Karen until barty arrived, they would play in Barty's room and Karen would bring them snacks. But as time went on, they started to see less and less of each other. Eventually, Matt got accepted into Harvard and they stopped seeing each other completely. They only communicated occasionally through generic texts.

Matt was now 27 years old. He had a Ph.D in psychology and was a therapist. He lived alone and still had very few friends who he had met in university. He had just got back home after a long, tiring day at work and switched on the television to listen to the news while he got dressed. There had been a 4 way car accident near where he lived. He stopped getting changed and turned up the volume with his shirt in his hand. There had been 23 casualties reported, 11 of which were pedestrians. 7 of the bodies had been identified. Matt dropped his shirt and his jaw fell open. One of the reported bodies was Barty. He instantly put his shirt back on and dashed out of his house. He got into his car and drove down to the nearest hospital to where the accident had occurred. When he arrived he instantly asked a man at the reception desk about Barty. The man then told Matt that he was dead on arrival. Matt was shocked. He felt a strange hollowness inside his body. He sat down in the nearest seat. He then heard a woman crying in the seat next to him. He looked up and recognised her face instantly. He hadn't seen her in over ten years. It was Karen. She hadn't changed very much. Her hair was still blonde but was starting to turn grey at the bottom. There were a few wrinkles on her face, she still looked about the same height and her nails were still painted the same pinkish-red colour.He patted her on the shoulder. She looked at him with a look of confusion. She didn't recognise him. He introduced himself and her face lit up slightly. She greeted him and gave him a hug. She then remembered what had happened and continued to cry. Matt decided to offer her a shoulder to cry on and embraced her warmly. After she had cried for about 10 minutes she stood up and noticed the wet patch she had left on his shoulder from all of her crying. She apologised but Matt told her he didn't mind.
"Let me drive you home Karen." He said. "You need to rest." 

Chapter End Notes:

Leave a review and a rating and let me know what you think of the story so far!