- Text Size +

Chapter Six: Home Sweet Home?

“Of all the words of Mice and men, the saddest are, “it might have been”

                                                                                                           -Kurt Vonnegut

 

 

                Adam’s stomach growled as his mouth turned so dry that he couldn’t even work up enough saliva to spit. The outside world seemed distant, and somehow beyond him as he lay flatly on his back trapped in a case meant to hold eyeglasses. The entire room was like that of a coffin, only instead of buried underneath dirt, he was buried beneath mini hand lotions, mouthwashes, perfumes, hairsprays, along with chap stick, eyeliner and mascara; which all beat and banged against the case after nearly any movement. A singular pen, pencil and tampon could be heard occasionally rolling across the top of the case and the few times the purse was dropped or set down roughly the clank of keys, phone, or wallet could be heard. Superseding all of those was the distinct voices of Riley and her twin sister Becca.

                The sisters chatted as they relaxed in comfort in there private plane. The two were no strangers to flying in private jets as their father had been a pilot for years, and growing up they would often get to go out with him on weekends. However, as he climbed the executive ladder, such outings became fewer and farther between. Now there trips on private planes were usually met with their father sitting towards the front of the plane on his phone and working on his laptop or tablet. Their mother would be asleep before the plane even started to taxi onto the runway. This was all considered part of the norm to them.

                Several more hours passed before the family returned home. Adam had been drifting in and out of consciousness for the past few hours, some of which was the fact that he hadn’t slept much leading up to this point and the other being his body was weakened from a lack of food and water. The sound of car doors slamming shut jarred Adam wake as the noise echoed in his eardrums; while a feeling of elation washed over him. As Riley stepped out of the car, the already familiar swaying of the purse from side to side while her arm pressed the handbag against her hip caused Adam a faint twinge of motion sickness.

                Riley looked at the home she hadn’t see in weeks, she wasn’t aware of how much she had missed her home until the car had started to pull into the driveway. The three story house itself was in an L-shape and had an old world Victorian look to it from being crafted in white and grey colored brick and stone. Seven Chimneys could be seen reaching into the sky from each fireplace in the home. The attached three stall garage had doors which looked to be from a medieval time made of heavy strong woods, with a white crossbar going across the front of each of the three stall doors which gave them the appearance of a front gate of a walled city. The house had several large Victorian style windows reminiscent of what you would find at a church. Tall maple trees spread across the yard along with the flowers and plants her mother meticulously planted, many of which were masked by the night sky.

                Riley was the first step out of the car, she briefly glanced over at the SUV she shared with her sister Becca, and felt relieved that it looked relatively neat and tidy. She could tell that she would still need to clean it thoroughly though. The cool night air caused her to shiver as she stepped out of the garage. As she walked towards the front door she found herself wishing that someone would have stayed home so that three or four of the seven fireplaces would have been lit, however Riley knew she would be relying on central air for all the heating tonight. She reached into her purse grasping her keys, but as she did so her hand bumped up against the eyeglass case.  She instantly thought of Adam, and how he was safely in tucked away inside waiting for her to take him out.

                “Are you going to unlock the door or just park your fat ass in front of it.” Becca quipped jarring Riley from her thoughts of Adam. She pulled her keys from her purse and unlocked the door while pushing the heavy wooden door open.  A blast of cool air hit her as she walked into the spacious entryway. Stone counters and wooden tabletops were scattered about the main level of the home.  She waited briefly for her father to carry her luggage into entryway before heading up stairs, and walking along the second floor terraced hallway on the way to her room.  

                Riley seemingly walked forever, before finally opening her bedroom door Adam thought. A loud thud of her luggage being set on the floor echoed across the room. The entire home having wood floors only seemed to make the echo that much louder.

                “I’m pretty tired dad. I think I’m just going to call it a night.” Riley feigned walking towards her bed setting her purse down beside her.

                “Okay princess, sweet dreams” Her father called out before shutting the door behind him.

                As soon as the door shut Adam felt the case he was trapped in lift upwards. The ascent being so quick his ears popped. Light brightly shined into the small case briefly before the massive face of Riley loomed overhead with her long luxurious brown and blonde highlighted hair locks cascading downward. A warm smile filled her face as she looked down at her diminutive boyfriend.  

                Adam on the other hand was furious. He had planned out everything he wanted to say to her, however as he stared up at her massive face every shred of anger and hate he wanted to spew flowed out of him as if she had popped his balloon. A sense of nervousness flowed out of him as the full reality of the situation he was in begun to dawn on him.

                “I’m so sorry I had to keep you in there for so long, but I couldn’t get any alone time; no need to worry now, as you’re here and we can start our new life together. We won’t be able to get engaged until after I move out and with my soccer career I may have to play overseas as that’s where the real  money is, but don’t worry I’m really good. I’m ranked third in the nation.” Riley said excitedly as she as she stroked Adam’s nude body.

                “Riley” was all Adam could get out before she started talking again. He wasn’t sure if she couldn’t hear him from her lap or she was just ignoring him.

                “I know what you’re thinking, but there are a lot of one income families, and I have my trust fund so you don’t really need to worry about the money. I have plenty, and I’m practically guaranteed a spot on a professional roster.”

                “Riley” Adam said again as he attempted to get a word in. This girl was crazy, she was already talking engagement, and marriage. He had a wife, and kids. He would need to throw himself at the mercy of his family; but he was sure his wife Lisa would understand eventually, Adam hoped. As he tried to avoid Riley’s prodding fingers, but the palm of her hand left few places to hide.

                “I’m sure you want a tour, unfortunately you won’t be able to see the house, but I can show you my, well our room. I don’t want you to think that I don’t want to show you the house, it’s just my dad wouldn’t understand our love for each other. He would just see that his little girl was with an older man. Then he would be furious about that night in the hotel room. It was so special though, but he wouldn’t see that. That was my first time you know Adam. I wanted to wait till I was with someone special, someone I wanted to marry, and have a family with.” Riley boasted happily as she lay back against her pillows briefly pressing Adam against her chest enjoying the feeling of his cold tiny body squirming against her.

                Stretching out on her bed it was a surreal feeling as she sunk into her soft mattress. Riley closed her eyes as she took in the feelings of Adam’s movements against her, the sound of his tiny heart beating. A feeling of complete happiness and content flowed over Riley for the first time in her life. As she sprawled across the bed; her intent was just to relax for a minute before giving Adam a tour, however the day of travel quickly caught up with her as she found herself sound asleep with Adam clutched against her.