- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Mary and Sandra get some rest on the night before the big procedure is to take place...

Dr. Miller had gone the extra mile to ask Sandra is she was truly wanting this decision to go into effect. If she did, then he would take over as her current doctor, and the treatment would be applied to her. There would be no turning back once the first dose of it had been applied to her body, no way to go back to regular antibiotics. He made sure she knew the risks, once again, and made sure she completely understood what could go wrong. This was a huge decision, for anyone to make. To take a newly-accepted treatment when she didn't have to took a lot of determination.

Sandra's mind was made up, though. The fact that any side-effects she would suffer would be non-lethal was enough to make her feel comfortable with taking this treatment. If there was a chance that she would die from it, she wouldn't have been as confident, but that chance wasn't there. No matter what happened, she'd be making it through this. So, if there was a chance of making that audition, she would definitely want to take that route, that path. She explained all of this to Dr. Miller and he soon accepted her answer, beginning to explain the procedure to her, so she knew what all was going to happen.

It wouldn't be a terribly difficult operations. Actually, 'operation' was a bad term to use for this treatment. All in all, they would only be giving her a few injections of the new 'serum' into the area where her injury is. Due to having to stick a needle into her injured spot, though, she couldn't be awake for that. She had to be put under, so the trauma of that pain wouldn't be too much for her to handle. It would be a one-time deal, and she'd have to come back for checkups after the first week or so, to make sure it was working properly and she wasn't suffering any side effects.

It all sounded too good to be true for Sandra and Mary. If what the doctor said about this treatment was true, then it was a miraculous new type of treatment. The ability to regenerate cells and rapidly increase the rate of recovery was a godsend, for them and for the rest of the world. The procedure was pricey, though. That wasn't a problem for Mary, but it would be for other people, who might consider coming in to have this treatment done on them. Gathering the materials and developing the serum was hard, hence the high price. As soon as it had been explained to Sandra, she wanted to know when they could perform the procedure.

“I'll be back tomorrow morning to do the procedure, Sandra” said Dr. Miller as he and Mickey got up, ready to leave. “There will be a lot of paperwork I need to fill out to professionally be your new doctor and we need to prepare the serum and equipment for what we're doing. You understand.” He thought he was being very understanding. Doing this much with her record was no simple task. He'd be up nearly all night with paperwork. As he and Mickey left the room, he closed the door behind him, giving them one last statement. “Good night, Sandra, Mary.”

They hadn't said anything, in response to the doctor's wishing of them having a good night, but they were both happy about everything that was happening. As soon as the door shut, Sandra moved her arms as much as she could without moving her bad leg. They wrapped around her mother's neck and she was smiling as wide as could be. “Thanks a lot, Mom. You found the perfect thing for me. Now, I can do my audition! I can make you proud, and I can go to the school I want. This is amazing!” She was holding onto Mary pretty tight, and Mary just let her, patting her on the back.

Mary was happy for her daughter, as she told her as much during the hug. She thought this was too good to be true and, after having agreed to it, she couldn't help but wonder what would happen if something went wrong. The fact that there were no known lethal side-effects of the treatment was a good thing for her to think about, but she still wondered about what those side-effects would be. What would a side-effect of regenerative cells be? Perhaps the body could think the treatment was a threat and try to eliminate it with antibodies, thus rendering Sandra immune to it's effects? That was possible, as were a lot of other things.

At that moment, though, she was being a mother. She held her opinion in her head, despite having little worries about this in her head. It's not that she didn't want to have this done. She did, very much so. She was just doing her job, as Sandra's mother, by worrying about her. She was glad she had as much time as she needed to be here, at the hospital, with her daughter. She knew, all too well, that this was a huge decision. Sandra had always been close to her, in recent years, and she felt close to her daughter as well. She wanted to be here, to see this through. If something went wrong, Sandra would need her.

The night was getting deeper and deeper. The two of them had decided that Sandra needed a lot of rest that night, to prepare her for the next day. They'd gotten a call from a nurse, saying that Dr. Miller would be there at 8:00 a.m to prepare Sandra for the procedure. Being nearly midnight already, they decided it best for both of them to sleep. Sandra had offered to have Mary head home for the night and come back in the morning, so she didn't have to sleep on a chair. Mary refused, though. Within 10 minutes, the room had two snoring voices. One was Sandra, calmly laying on her bed, and the other was her mother, with a small blanket from Sandra's bed, having been thrown on her after she'd fallen asleep...