- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sandra calms herself as Dr. Miller comes into the room, explaining the new treatment to her...

Sandra's desires to talk to this doctor were surprisingly fast. She had not waited a single moment after finding out that there was a faster treatment for it. She didn't know anything about it, or what it would do to her. All that was on her mind, at that moment, was getting better for the audition and the scholarship. She didn't care if they had to stick her with a bunch of needles every day until the healing process was complete. She just wanted to get better, which was why she had interrupted her own mother and called for the doctor, or doctors to come in and explain things to her.

Although her mind was rushed, everyone else's weren't. Mary kept her hand on Sandra's ensuring to hold it and try to keep her comfortable. As she was sitting there, Dr. Miller and Mickey walked into the room, slowly shutting the door behind them. The two of them moved towards the bed, pulling up two chairs on the way there. They also grabbed onto the curtain around the bed, closing it. It was like they wanted this conversation to be as secret as possible. As they got themselves situated, Dr. Miller shook Sandra's hand and started with the pleasantries, which Sandra took straight to the point. “So, when can you do this treatment, doctor?”

“Well, hold your horses there, Ms...Sandra, I think it was?” The doctor had not imagined his potential patient would be so willing to try this new treatment, especially before she knew what it even was. If this was all for some scholarship, he admired her determination, but couldn't help but feel that she wasn't making a rational choice. “Before you say anything about whether or not you wish to pursue this, I believe we need to tell you everything about this new treatment. You need to know the risks, the facts, and everything else that we know about it. After all, this procedure had never been done in practice before. It was just accepted for hospital use recently.”

Sandra was in such a hurry that she hadn't thought about risks or anything like that. She looked at the doctor, half-wanting to not care about the risks and just tell them to do it, anyways. She was about to do so when she felt something squeezing on her hand. Looking to her right, she saw her mother, tightly grabbing onto her hand with both of hers. She had a look on her face. She knew that look. It was the look of worry. “Honey...” she began. “Please don't jump into this too quickly. You need to know everything about this before you make your decision. I want you to do this, and I know you want to get better, but please listen to the doctor before making up your mind, okay?”

If there was one person in the world that could change that stubborn girl's mind on something, it was her mother. It was hard to change her mind, once it had been made up, but there was something about Mary that changed her mind about certain things. There was something about Mary, about her mother. She felt the tight grip and put her free hand on to of her mother's. She looked her in the eyes, her mind slowing itself down. She was rushing into this, and she knew she was. Mary knew she was. The doctors knew she was. “Alright, fine.” After giving her relatively short response, she turned her head to the doctor, her hair moving in front of her face. “Tell me about this new treatment, Doctor.”

Now things were going a little better. Sandra's mind needed to be calm to concentrate on what he was about to feed her. It was no exaggeration that this was a big decision, for any of them. This was a brand-new treatment that had never been done before, and it required careful thinking around it. “Well, Ms. Sandra, as I said, it's new and just got approved for use. I guess you could call it some sort of Regenerative treatment. Basically, we take the..” Dr. Miller spent the next 15 minutes, explaining everything to Sandra that she needed to know about this new treatment. Only afterwards would they find out if she was still willing to go with it.

“Well, that's about everything.” said Dr. Miller, taking a small cup from the table and walking to the nearby sink to get some water. As he came back, he crossed his arms and sat back down. “Well, Ms. Sandra, it's all up to you. You can either accept this new treatment, with risk of side-effects, or you can keep going with the antibiotics we have you on now. If you choose to do this, I'll be your doctor, from here on. If you choose not to, then Mickey and I will leave the room as if this conversation had never happened. So, what do you say? Do you need some time to think? Or do you have a decision for us?”

Sandra took a deep breath, keeping her hand on her mother's. Having calmed herself down, this was a lot to take in, all at once. On one hand, this treatment would definitely get her healthy in time for the audition, but she could suffer side-effects. Non-lethal ones, but side-effects, nonetheless. On the other hand, she could take antibiotics, miss the audition, and have no chances for side-effects. It was a hard decision. Most people would likely choose the longer method that guaranteed no side-effects, whatsoever, getting ready for the scholarship the following year. Sandra wasn't most people, though.

“Well...” she began, doing some last-minute thinking. She knew that she had next year to do for the audition, which would let her stay with her mother for another full year, but she didn't want to go a year without any form of schooling. She had a reputation in good academics, and she didn't want a year to go by where that knowledge could be wiped from her mind. She frowned and looked at Mary for a moment, not knowing what to say. Her mother simply brushed her hair away from her face and told her that it was her decision, and she'd back up whatever she wanted.

Looking back to the doctor, her grin slowly turned into a smile and she nodded her head. “Alright, doctor. Let's do it.” The room soon filled up with grins, one from each of the four people there. This treatment would happen, and Sandra would be able to do her big audition. Side-effects or not, she'd be able to go to college soon, and to the one she wished...