- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

On the way back to Sandra's room, Mary proposes that she talk with Sandra first, before the doctors move in to explain the treatment...

Mary wasn't sure how all of this was going to go. She was currently standing in a corner of an elevator, waiting to reach the correct floor. Dr. Miller and Mickey were both with her, and they were all planning to talk to Sandra about this new treatment. As far as she knew, they would get off the elevator, find Sandra's room, and then settle in for a discussion. She planned to get off the elevator first, allowing her at least a little bit of time to prepare Sandra for the conversation. With how Sandra had reacted to the doctor from before, she felt she needed to be the first one to talk to her about this. She didn't want her to get upset with any more doctors, especially if this treatment would work for her.

She wanted to make sure she could talk to Sandra first. She was her mother, and she felt a certain bonded level with her. She had, after all, spent quite a bit of time with her since her husband was gone. She was also very protective of her. Because of this drive, she turned to Dr. Miller before the elevator reached it's destination. “Excuse me, Doctor, but may I ask you a question? There's something I'd like to ask before we get to Sandra and bring this up to her.” She was trying to sound as innocent as she could, knowing she was about to ask him to wait before coming in. She hoped he would be alright with it.

The doctor took a look at Mickey, and then her. The elevator was still going, and they hadn't spoken since leaving where they'd discussed this. “Of course, Mary. What is it that you would like to know?” His words came through fluent and calm. He was holding up quite the face, despite the fact that he was about to ask someone to take a previously-experimental treatment. His curiosity was shone, though, in his face. He was curious about what Mary wanted. There really wasn't all that much to this talk. They'd just walk in, explain it to Sandra, and then get an answer. If she wanted to do it, they would. If she didn't, they wouldn't.

“Well, if you don't mind, I would like you to wait outside the room for a few minutes. You know, so I can go in and try to prepare my daughter for what we're going to ask her to do. She's a delicate, little flower, and she was quite upset at the last doctor that came in. I just feel that, since I'm her mother, I may be able to talk to her and make the gravity of this treatment situation as light as possible. I don't want her to get upset and deny it, out of pure frustration.” Mary's request was completely honest. She didn't want Sandra to just take this hit and deny the treatment. She knew what kind of stubbornness that daughter of hers could have, and she wanted this treatment idea to go through without a hitch.

“Of course, Mrs. Moore. You may take as much time as you need to prepare your daughter for this. After all, this is a serious decision, both for you and for her. We'll stay outside for as long as you need.” The doctor's willingness to make this compromise was warming to Mary. She didn't want to have this thing screw up from Sandra getting frustrated or too overwhelmed from this news. She knew that she needed to calm her and make sure she was okay before having the doctor explain this treatment. As soon as this conversation had ended, the dinging sound of the elevator came through their ears, and the double-door slid open, revealing the new floor's halls.

The three of them exited the elevator, just as a couple and their son, in a wheelchair, were waiting to enter it. Walking down the hall, they passed the Nurse's station and turned to the left, making their way down the hallway. After a few minutes of strolling around, they finally came back to the room where Sandra was being kept in. Mary walked in front of the doorway and she looked back to the doctor. They nodded, signaling that they were going to wait, and Mary proceeded into the room. “Sandra? I'm back. How are you doing?”

Sandra could be seen, laying on her back, her sheets up past her breasts. Her arms were folded on her stomach and her toned eyelids slowly opened at the voice of her mother. She picked her head up and leaned forward, sending out a small grin as her tired eyes were partially hidden by the hanging strands of hair that grew from her scalp. She watched her mother walk in and sit besides her, on a chair. “Hey, Mom. I'm doing alright. The nurse just left, said I was doing good! My knee still hurts, though. How was your little trip? Did you find out anything about my treatments?”

“I did, honey, and I think there might be another option for you. However...” She reached forward and let her partially-wrinkled hands rest on Sandra's right hand, and her stomach. “It's a doozy, Sandra. Believe me. However, I found a doctor who would like to explain this other treatment. He said that it will bring you back to health with plenty of time for this audition. I'm not exactly sure just how this stuff works, but he seems pretty confident that--” Mary was soon cut off by Sandra, herself, as she called out about what she heard.

“Yes! Where is he? Or she? Can I talk to them now?!” Sandra had been quick to interrupt her mother about this new treatment. The moment she heard the fact that it would heal her in time for the audition made her completely go past possible risks and go straight for it. She desperately wanted to be okay for this audition, and this was going to let her do that. She wanted to talk to this doctor immediately and get this treatment underway. She wouldn't care if they had to stick her with an IV. If it would make her better in time, she would want to do it.

“Now, easy there, honey. Don't get too excited. He's right outside the door. We can get him in here and he explain everything about it in just a mi--” Mary was interrupted again. Sandra heard that he was outside the door and her attitude took over. “Doctor! Doctor, get in here! Tell me about this treatment! I want to go for this!” Sandra's enthusiasm went a bit too far, at times. It got the job done, though. Within moments, the doctor and Mickey walked into the room, a bit of a look of surprise on both their faces. Mary just smiled as she saw them coming in...