- Text Size +
"Diminished Power"

It had been 4 months since my emotional breakup with my ex-girlfriend Amanda and I had finally prepared myself to return to her house to collect some of my belongings. As I stepped out of my car and braced myself for what was to come, I noticed a small shiny object by her doorstep, and examined it. It appeared to be a round shiny orb, ruby red in color and had a small tag attached to it. I carefully read the curious label to myself.

"...this stone will grant the user one wish... use it wisely"

I looked at the rock briefly and wrinkled my eye brow skeptically at the notion of such a thing but still, I tucked it into my palm and closed my hand around it, before sliding it into my pants pocket. At the very least, I could try... maybe I could even wish that Amanda and I were back together...

As it stood though, there was very little chance of that happening anyway. She had a new boyfriend, named Jeff, some tall bulky guy, basically what every girl was looking for, I guess, and I just wasn't cutting it. She had so much power over me though, in a mental sense. She always won every fight, always controlled me, made me doubt myself on more than one occasion and as I finally approached her doorstep to collect my things and my dignity, I had hoped that for once maybe I'd have the power, or at least win an argument if need be.

I knocked on her door and wasn't sure what to expect. She hadn't seem too fond to have heard from me over the phone but she was also a very indecisive girl who's actions in the past had led me to doubt almost anything she did.

After several seconds of suspense, she finally opened the door, abruptly crossing her arms as soon as she saw my face. Her own face grimaced with a snarky grin as she reluctantly let me into the house, barely indulging me in any conversation.

"Yknow, you got a lot of nerve showing up around here..." she tsked, watching me collect my old movies and clothes from her closet. It was at that moment, I felt myself beginning to snap.

"I have a lot of nerve?!" I said, turning to face her with a bit of contempt in my voice. I then realized that getting angry wasn't my goal. I just wanted to maintain my cool... but she kept talking.

"Yeah, I mean if you really wanted these things back so badly, why couldn't you just contact me months ago?" she scoffed, tapping her foot impatiently on her floor.

"I was a little... emotionally tied up" I sighed, trying very hard not to rehash the past but feeling it almost impossible, as the emotion built up inside me.

"Ugh, tied up in WHAT?" Amanda said, slightly raising her voice as she crept up closer to me, "In our relationship? C'mon Bobby, it was never going to work... Never!"

"Well obviously, if I had thought that, I would've been the one to end it" I said, my voice slightly muted but she was still able to pick up my words.

"Oh c'mon!" Amanda blurted out, beginning to turn from me. I happened to notice her small cat, Runty cross our path and curl up in the corner of the room. "You have to stop living in the past... it's over. We're over, and Jeff and I are very happy together"

"Oh yeah, Jeff" I said, suddenly dropping my old t-shirts and turning around. I walk towards her direction as she casually strolls to the other side of her room. "He's a real catch alright... but you know that he's just using you for sex, right?"

"Yeah, yeah..." Amanda said, obviously not believing me, instead finding it more interesting to pick up her cat in her arms and start cuddling her. She placed a couple small kisses on Runty's forehead before setting her back down on the floor, "You're just jealous, Bobby! You always were, because you're weak, you're emotionally and mentally weak and that's not my fault"

"Y'know what? I may have had my flaws... but..." I said, stammering for the words. She always brought out the worst in me, and now here I was again, at a loss for words, trying to talk logic into a girl who was so cold and distracted by a cat to even pay attention to me.

"Yeah? But what?" Amanda said, her usual arrogance on display in full form.

I looked her straight in the eye and tried to word a logical sentence but it came out clumsily as usual.

"Well... I mean, I was there for you no matter what, right?" I asked, "I mean, yes! Yes I was..."

"There's more to it than that, Bobby" Amanda sighed, rolling her eyes as I glared back with frustration, "Sure you were 'there' for me, but what does that mean? Jeff's there for me too"

"Yeah, when he wants a quick fix of sex" I scoffed, "I was there no matter what and..."

"Speaking of which, he's coming over soon, so you should probably get going if you want to avoid any awkwardness" Amanda said, completely ignoring my last sentence.

"No, listen to me!" I said, still fumbling for words. The more frustrated I got, and the more I felt the blood rush to my head with anger, the more I also noticed my sweaty palms reaching into my pockets, a nervous habit of mine. I clenched my left hand tightly around the object in my pocket - the small shiny stone. "I was there for you no matter what, and you know what? I STILL would be... even if you... even if you... and I'd never wish this on you, but even if you were to shrink down to 3 inches tall, I'd be there to help you!"

Amanda began laughing almost immediately.

"Are you shitting me?!" she said, her eyes beginning to squint as she laughed, looking at me with pure amusement, "If I shrank down to 3 inches tall? What the hell are you even on?"

"I... I don't know, I'm just saying, like if someone were to wish you were 3 inches tall... I could..." I stammered. "Oh never mind"

I instead turn around and begin packing more of my things into my small gym bag as I hear Amanda's laughter behind me, picking up in intensity. I start to turn flush red, but notice I'm no longer as angry or nervous, so I take my hands out of my pocket.

"Okay, Amanda, you can stop now..."

"I know, I know... it's just that... it's so stupid" Amanda blurted out, her voice seemingly trailing off as she spoke. I turned around curiously, trying to hear her, but instead I got a surprising sight.

Amanda too was surprised to notice me turning around and now standing over a foot tall higher than she was.

"Uh... what's going on?" Amanda asked, her voice starting off confident but slowly transforming into terror, her once squinted eyes now opening wide with fear, having to crane upwards to see my face looking down at her.

"A-Amanda... I think you're shrinking" I gasped, watching her entire body grow smaller in front of me.

"What?! No that's impossible!" she shrieked, as she receded from my line of sight, becoming smaller and smaller by the moment.

"Uh... maybe there's something I can do!" I said, addressing the 2 foot girl in front of me. I started to step towards her but the strength of my steps frightened her into the corner where she ran and began yelling at me, her voice growing squeakier as she became tiny.

"No! Stop! Stay away from me!" she squealed, "Don't touch me!"

As she slumped down in defeat in the corner, I watched her body complete the unthinkable transformation and saw my ex girlfriend reduced to nothing more than a 3 inch tall miniature... perfect in proportion... her head about the size of a dime and her once plump and round breasts about the size of 2 small grapes. She looked up at me in terror, but I was barely able to notice the details in her face, only that she was most likely crying.

"Bobby! What's happened to me?!" she cried, belting her tiny voice out so I could hear her. I knelt down before her, causing her to flee a bit more before being struck with the giant wall in front of her.

"I... I think you shrunk... you're probably no more than 3 inches..." I said, unable to believe it. Had my wish really triggered that? The stone really WAS magic.

"Oh my god..." she said, sweat beginning to form on her face and body as she spoke "This is all your fault, Bobby! You have to change me back!"

"I'm not sure if I know how" I said and reached my hand down towards her. She fell down in fear, hoping I wouldn't grab her but she had no choice in the matter as I pinched her around the waist carefully, feeling only the slightest resistence in her tense skin which formed a perfect curve for my fingers to grip around her. I held her up for a moment, before laying her down in my hand. My once tall and mighty ex girlfriend was now sitting in my hand, her entire body fitting in my palm.

"Bobby, you better change me back right now!" she yelled, and stomped her foot on my palm. I immediately started chuckling, which caused her to shiver.

"Ha! I'm sorry, that was just too cute!" I laughed and moved my hands over to her dresser, where I set her down. She looked up at me with disbelief as I gazed down at the miniature girl. "I have the power now... in fact..."

I reached down and seized her tiny body again. This time she tried to struggle and crawl behind her lamp for safe haven but she had nowhere to go once my fingers wrapped around her. She let out a great scream but it sounded like nothing more than squeaking as I held her in front of me.

"How does it feel to be completely helpless?" I laughed.

"Bobby!!" she screamed, "This isn't funny! Please put me down!"

"Aw, you sure?" I joked and then knelt down in front of Runty, who licked her chops. "Maybe you'd like to play with Runty some more!"

"Bobby, please!" she shrieked as Runty drew closer to her quivering body. Runty began sniffing her body up and down but I drew her away before Runty could get a lick in and could feel Amanda breathing heavily before I set her back on the dresser, safe from harm.

"Okay..." she said, out of breath, "You've had your fun, now can you PLEASE put me back to normal?"

"I honestly don't know how..." I sighed, "but like I said, I'll be there for you..."

"No, stop that bullshit!" she squeaked, flailing around and stomping her foot on the dresser, "Just forget it, Bobby! That's the problem with you, you never have any answers..."

"And I suppose you think Jeff would handle this better" I said.

"Yeah, of course he could!" she said, and then heard a knock on the door, "In fact, there he is now, why don't you get that and see how a real man fixes a problem?"

"Oh, I should get it?" I laughed, "Why don't you?"

"Verry funny, Bobby" Amanda sighed, her arms returning to the crossed position before gesturing for me to get the door. I laughed and opened the door, being greeted by a tall guy in all black. He walked in right past me and went to see his tiny girlfriend on the dresser.

"Hey babe, that you?" he asked.

"Yeah!" she shrieked, "Oh Jeff, I'm so happy to see you, I need help!"

"Oh yeah?" he said, totally clueless as he lifted her body up into the air, making her scream again in terror before ending up in his rough hands. "With what?"

"With this!" Amanda shrieked, "Look at me, Jeff! I'm the size of a doll!"

"I know" Jeff shrugged, "it's kinda cool"

"Cool?!" Amanda asked in panic, "What do you mean, cool? I could be stuck this way, don't you care?"

"Hey, it happens" Jeff said, "Besides I could have some fun with you like this"

"Fun? What are you...?" Amanda started but was quickly interuppted as Jeff started stripping her and playing with her tiny body. "Hey! Stop that!"

I just chuckled and headed for the door, barely able to comprehend the shrieks of my now miniature ex girlfriend.

"Bobby! Wait! Please come back!" Amanda said, as her tiny form was handled by Jeff.

I just walked to the door and prepared to close it, taking one last look at Amanda with her new boyfriend who played with her like a doll.

"Have a nice life" I said, finally slamming the door behind me