- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Moving the plot along. No giantess action.

Another one bites the dust. So far two people were killed by a 9 year old's foot. A sweet, innocent 9-year old has unknowingly killed two guys. But why do I feel responsible though? Is it because I didn't stop Sarah? Is it only my fault? I always helped her from bullies. Others laughed or stood by watching. Are we all to blame for our predictiment?

Now is not the time to question the morals of my high school's society. There is only one thing I can do right now. That is find the rest of the shrunken survivors and survive. That guy came from the kitchen pantry. My best bet is to go in there.

Right now is the time to act. Monie is in her room. If I am to run over, it has to be now. I have to take that chance. I might not make it if Monie comes back down to the kitchen. But I have to try.

And try I do. With all the energy I have left and with all the speed I have, I haul ass over to that otherside. I can feel some pain in my legs. They have been working overtime tonight. With all the running and climbing I have had to do, they might have to be amputated. Ok that last part was an over-exaggeration.

My chest is starting to burn. At my size a run like this is killer to my cardio. I am more than halfway there. There is no way that Monie's foot can crush my body in time. Of course, I say that and knowing my luck, her foot should be hovering over my body right now.

But it doesn't because, for one, she's not here and I have made it to the door. The only thing I have to do is crawl under it. I knock on the door for jokes. Of course no one opens it. I get to my knees and start crawling under the door. This is the only good thing about being shrunk so far. I'm small enough to fit under the door.

I pray that the lights are on in the pantry. It's gonna suck if all that running led to a pitch black area. I can't afford to have anything pitch black in my condition. I could run into a rat or a spider and not know where they are. Objects could fall and I wouldn't know if they fell on me or 10 feet away.

Alas, as I enter I find a well lit pantry. The only positive event of the night so far. There are rows of canned food in here. Not only canned food though as there are boxes of pasta, rolls of bread, parmesan cheese, sugar, spice, oil, vinegar, and every possible kitchen item that you would expect in a pantry. On my left is a broom standing on the wall. "This stuff would be good if I wasn't the size of a Life board game piece." I thought to myself.

"Ken is that you?" I hear someone shout out. It is the voice of a man. Yes! I have found more people.

"No. I'm not Ken. My name is Dom." I say to whoever is talking to me. I can't see where this guy is talking to me from. It doesn't matter as he steps out from the broom. I notice him because it is Robert Finn, our school's star linebacker.

"Dom. Thank God you're alive. But where is Ken." Robert says. My heart sinks in my chest. Ken must have been that poor guy who was crushed by Monie.

"Robert. You won't like what I'm gonna say." I tell him.

"Oh God. He dead isn't he?" I don't want to look him in the eye. Breaking the news that someone has died is the hardest thing you can tell a person.

"I didn't know Ken personally. I met him today at the party. We were close to each other when the blast hit us. He was the first guy I found when I woke up." He tells me. 

"Have you found anymore people?" I ask.

"Yes. Behind that broom is about ten more people. They were the only ones I could find."

"It's ok. You did good. I'm sorry Ken didn't make it."

"How did Ken die?"

"Dave's little sister came down. Ken saw me but he didn't see her. He was- he was-you know." I left out the part where she was looking for cupcakes.

"Damn. That is a horrible way to go."

"I had to see that twice tonight. I found another guy. His friend was stuck in a piece of gum. He couldn't get out."

"That's fucking horrible. He had to see his friend die. Where is this guy?"

"He's on the first step on the staircase. I have to get him as soon as possible."

"Soon. First I have to show you everybody." We walk over to the broom. Robert walks around the broom and signals me to go his way. I do. There is a gap between the broom and the floor. Filling that gap are the survivors.

I recognize Leah, Rachael, Pan, Archie, and James. The others I don't know. James tells me,"Yes! We have more survivors. If we find more, we can start a party."

Leah slaps the back of his head. "Shut the hell up you idiot! We are in deep shit right now." She says.

"What? Was the joke that bad?" James asks. I roll my eyes at him. Now's not the time to be joking.

"Where's Ken?" asks one of the survivors I do not know. She is a young and attractive red head. I go silent. I do not answer her question.

Robert has to speak up for me. "I'm sorry Beth. There is no other way I can say it."

Beth starts to burst out in tears. She knows. Everyone knows what happened. No one talks at all. Even James keeps his mouth shut. Everyone finally understands the danger that we are in.

Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter gets a little more exciting.