- Text Size +

Bloodletting was our school's band, as you know, and they were the popular. No other band was more popular than them. It was because of their music genre. I don't know how they did it, but they were a cross between country, death metal, and blues. How the hell is that possible? If you can answer that question I'll be your shrunken slave. Just kidding, I don't want to be your slave.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah. Like all things, the band started with one idea. Ideas then begin to grow and shape into something else. Some grow to be bigger. Some are giving up on and never thought of again. Others are ruined if the owner of the idea can't bring it to life how he wanted it. And some are molded into something that don't resemble it's inception. 

Bloodletting was something that didn't resemble what it originally was intended to be. It all started with Kurt. Kurt was a great guitarist. The best at our school. I would even go as far and say the best out of anyone in our state. He could shred the hell of it like no other. If it ever came time to it, he could play the most beautiful melodies you would hear from a guitar.

Kurt didn't care for soft music. He loved death metal. Me personally, I can't stand that shit. Kurt wanted to start a death metal band. It's obvious he would be the lead guitarist for the band. What he needed was a drummer, basist, maybe a rhythm guitarist, and a singer. So he went to his best friend Jim and asked him if he would join his band.

Jim was a bit hesitant. Kurt had musical talent pouring out of him. Jim, on the other hand, wasn't much of a musical talent. He was a decent singer but that was it. Kurt didn't need a fantastic singer. He needed someone wo could growl and scream their head off. After much persuasion, Jim gave it a try. It turned out he was a natural at it.

There they were with a singer and a guitarist. They still needed a bassist, drummer, and possibly a rhythm guitarist. Jim knew a guy who could be their bassist. His name was Rick. He only went by Rick. Rick was part of a band called Fields of Roses. They were a soft hippie band. Nobody liked them, but Rick was their only strong point. His playing was a bluesy sound with a bit of an edge. Sounding too hardcore for them, he was kicked out.

Jim came up to him and asked if would join the band. The only problem would be that it was a death metal band. Rick's answer was, "Whatever."

That took care of the bassist. Now they needed a drummer. Nobody knew of anyone who could drum. So when you can't find someone, what do you do? Put out an ad on Craigslist. And just like magic, Tom was found. But there was a small problem. Tom wouldn't join a band unless his cousin Sam could join too. It was the biggest coincidence that they came across. Sam was a great rhythm guitarist. The final piece of the puzzle was found.

They didn't start out as perfect puzzles at first. They acted more like a scattered puzzle. Kurt wanted to play one thing; Sam wanted to play the same. Rick didn't act like he cared all that much for death metal. He wanted blues and that was final. Tom played the drums too fast or too slow. Of course leadership problems happened. Kurt complained that Jim had too much control. Jim stated he was the singer and therefore the leader.

Nothing ever starts off like you want it, but eventually it gets better. Months since their inception, they formed a bond that couldn't be broken. Bloodletting was here to play. Jim was the one who told me the story. I know all details about it. But the events coming up next, I don't know. I do know that Bloodletting was about to play their last gig.

The remaining members of Bloodletting were crying. I wouldn't expect them to cry. They always seemed like the toughest guys in our school. Their friendship must have been the closest you could get. I know I would do the same if Dave died in front of my eyes.

The ground beneath their feet began to rise. It rose because the ground was Monie's hand. They were carried over to the bag of grapes. Their sounds of crying became more and more faint.

"Nobody better get close to us or I'll get you." Monie threatened us. We knew she would eat us if we tried. We were forced into being onlooking spectators. It was like a football game or the Roman Colliseium. 

Monie placed Bloodletting on top of a paper plate. I see her taking four grapes from the bag. She takes out a butter knife from her pocket. I think I know where this is going and I don't like it. Not one bit.

She picks up one grape and cuts the top off of it. She carefully carves the inside of the grape. I can see the filling falling on top of the paper plate. All that's left will be a hollowed out grape. I shudder because I know what's going to happen to Bloodletting. She places the first empty grape on the plate. She does the same to the rest of the grapes in the same order.

Four hollowed out grapes. Grapes big enough to fit a person our size into them. I can hear some of the survivors trying to plead with her. It's no use. She can't hear us from over here.

"If you haven't realized what I'm doing here, it's really simple. These four boys will be playing a game of hide and seek. This is a new way to play. They have to hide inside these grapes. I will eat ten grapes. Four of them will have these boys in them. Do you think they can survive? Let's find out." Monie spoke like a queen. Her voice mimicked royalty.

Her fingers grabbed onto to Tom. Tom was shoved into the grape. The filling on the plate was still there. Monie picked up a little and stuffed it back inside the grape. Then Rick was placed, then Sam, and finally Jim. Four grapes filled with grape guts and little people.

"Here are the rules. Survive and don't leave your grape. Good luck and don't die." Monie had that little devious smirk on her face. She grabbed a handful of grapes out of the bag. Then another. She cut the tops off of each grape to match the ones Bloodletting were in.

"I will now scramble the grapes." Her hand moved around in a circular motion. She didn't look at the grapes. Even if she is an evil bitch, she plays fair.

"There are twenty grapes. If I am to eat ten of them, there is a fifty fifty chance they can survive. I learned probability in math class. The games will now begin." My heart was beating at a brisk pace. I didn't know what was going to happen. If anyone would survive ore if they would all die. 

Monie looked at the batch of grapes. She carefully eyed each one of them. I don't know if screams could be heard or not. If they were screaming, that would increase their chances of being picked. Monie's hand lowered down towards the batch. The anticipation was killing me. Finally, she plucked her first grape from the batch.

The grape moved closer and closer to her mouth. Everything felt like it was moving in slow motion. Why can't this go faster? It's torture. Duh! She's torturing us. She wants us to feel hopeless. She wants us to feel like ants beneath her feet. 

Finally the grape is popped into her mouth. All that's left is for her to chew. I see most of the group is not watching the game. Only Archie. That fucked up assho-. I don't finish that thought. I heard something. It's quiet but I can't hear it. That was the crunching sound of a person being chewed up like food.

It is briefly followed by a gulp. "Wow! Luck of the draw. I ate someone on my first try. You know, you taste a lot better with food." Monie says to us.

Maria falls to the floor next to me. I rush over and hold her body.

"Maria don't look at the horror! Don't listen to it. Just listen to me." I say say in the most comforting voice I can.

"Grape number two finished. Empty!" I hear Monie say.

"It's time to hold you for a change." I says with a chuckle. "I have to tell you something. Now a good time as any."

"Grape number three eaten. Empty!" Monie says. I try to drown it out but it's so hard.

"When you first moved in, I was stunned by you. You were the most gorgeous girl I had ever seen. I was immediately in love with you."

"Grape number four gone. Empty." There was a sense of disappointmet in Monie's voice.

"Dom. I kinda liked you too when I first saw you. You were a nerd, but a cute nerd." Maria tells me.

"Grape number five gone. Err empty." Monie was now getting annoyed.

"I didn't know how I felt about you when we were older. You never talked to me. I thought you weren't interested. Then when you asked me out to the party, we started getting closer and closer to each other. You even save me from that asshole. I started liking you again."

"Grape number six gone. Person #2 dead!" Monie said enthusiasim.

"I never stopped liking you. I was always nervous around you. I lacked confidence." I tell her.

"Grape number seven gone. Person #3 dead! Only one left." 

"Maria, if we survive this, will you go out with me?" I ask her.

"Grape number eight gone. Empty."

Maria doesn't respond to my question. My heart starts to sink.

"Grape number nine gone. Empty. One more grape left and one more person left."

"Yes Dom. If we survive." She tells me.

"Grape number ten gone. And the last person is now in my tummy." 

Bloodletting was gone. We would mourn them. We would shed tears for them. The best band that our school will ever hear is no more. The bond of their friendship will never be broken though. No matter if they are dead, their friendship is not. Now I hope my bond with Maria will not be gone. Even if we never make it.