- Text Size +

You were dreaming of the ocean swimming in a liquid that was cooling your body and made you relax.  Your body was floating out in the middle of the water weightless.  You knew it was a dream because: one Sarah was swimming with you; the other the water smelled of a fruity smell and not of salt water.  It didn’t matter because you never felt this good in a long time.  Both you and Sarah just floated in the weird smelling liquid enjoying the day in the water, when all of a sudden the sky turned extra bright.

You awoke to the sun shining in through a crack in between the shades and window letting in enough light to hit you in the face.  You were laying in a sweet smelling liquid which smelled of the water in your dream.  You climbed out of the container that held you and looked at your body.  It was doing much better than you thought.  Leave it to Gloria to break you and fix your body up less than 24 hours.  You noticed that there was some food and water out for everyone; who were still sleeping.

Your body was healed but it felt like it was sore and you need to stretch.  You quickly moved your body at weird angles to pull your muscles and get the stiffness out of your body as you went to get your meal for the morning.  It was half a doughnut with some water. 

It wasn’t long before the others started to wake up.

Dave didn’t sleep very well last night.  Terra lay up against him with her back.  He saw that the other guy who was brought back in that cream was up and eating already.  Not wanting to leave Terra he woke her up. 

“Hey, Terra.  Come on sweetie we should get up.”

Terra was never a morning person, “Go away David I’m not in the mood.”

“Terra don’t be like that.”

 Terra rolled over so she was facing Dave, “Be like what,” she asked angrily.

“If we are going to get through this we need to work together and not against each other.”

Terra let out a huff but knew he was right.  She sat up and looked around seeing everyone asleep except the one man who was sitting over by the giant doughnut.  She took Dave’s hand and walked over to the man they didn’t know.

Dave held his hand out to the stranger, “Hey my names David, but my friends call me Dave.”

“Hello David.” The man said in an emotionless voice.

“uhhh … yeah … so your names Mike,” Terra asked.

Mike let out a bitter laugh, “Look you don’t need to be friends with me.  You need to befriend that.” He gestured over toward the sleeping beast.  He turned his back on them.

Dave was mad at the way this guy was acting, “Hey buddy act a little nicer to my girlfriend.”  Dave jabbed a finger at him.  Before he knew it Mike turned around and had him pinned to the ground before he knew it. 

“Don’t you ever touch me again!” he snarled at him.  He got up took a chunk of food with him and left to another part of the container to sit and eat.

“You don’t have to be an asshole!”  Terra shouted at him which woke the other up.

Like ants to a sweet treat, they all converged to the doughnut to talk and eat.

“What happened?” Frank asked.

“We were trying to talk to that asshole over there and he was being a dick,” Terra explained.  They all sat in silence as they eat their fill.

You don’t know why you acted like that.  You have never been that mean to anyone unless they deserved it, but it was something about them that set you off.  Maybe because they still had each other and you were alone.  Maybe it was the way they held each other.  Whatever it was you felt jealous that they still had people they love and you don’t.  Well for now, you thought bitterly.

Gloria woke up a little latter than she usually does.  She missed her morning jog but didn’t really care about that, she had better things to do.  She got up out of bed and notice her toys were up.  Good, she thought as she walked pass.  She saw Kevin eye her nervously, and she quickly felt a pain of guilt; it left as quickly.  She went to the bathroom to go do her business.

Kevin saw Gloria and made eye contact with her.  Maybe she would let him go now after she slept over it?  She left the room without a word which made Kevin feel even more nervous.  A couple of minutes later she returned and came back to the container that held them all.

Gloria gave a wave to her toys and said, “Good morning.  I see you all have eaten.  Will I haven’t soooooo who wants to help me?”

There was an undeniable sense of dread pass through everyone at the sound of that.

“Oh come on no one wants to volunteer?  I need two people.  Anyone?”  She let out a sigh.  “Fine I’ll pick.”

Both hands reached in and grabbed a person.  The hands then retreated and were lifted up to Gloria’s face.  She opened the hands to reveal the lucky winners.

Dave couldn’t see anything and felt a warm soft but firm wall surround him.  He felt the movement upward; the walls opened up to reveal a giant face staring at him.  He looked to his side and found that in the other hand held Sam.

Without a word Gloria turned and left her room with a bunch of tiny screaming and shouts at her to stop. 

Dave didn’t know what to do or say.  He was being carried off to his death at the hands of a teenager with his best friend next to him.  Gloria put them on the kitchen table and went to make some breakfast.  Dave walked over to Sam to check on him to see if he is ok.

“Hey you all right?”

“Y-yeah… you?”

Dave let out a chuckle, “Just a little shaken up.”

Sam laughed at that, “I got to hand it to you, only you could lighten up a situation like this.”

Dave didn’t answer as he peered over the edge, “You think we should jump.”

“Well it may be better than being eaten.”

“She may not eat us, I mean look she making food; who eats food and then eats someone?”

Sam nodded, “Your right,” he said but didn’t look convinced. 

Dave wasn’t sure he was right but saying it made him feel slightly better; just slightly. 

Both Dave and Sam jumped at the ping the microwave made as Gloria pulled out a bowl of hot food.  It was oatmeal.  She set it down and placed a spoon in front of them. 

“Here’s the deal, I’m hungry.  I will give you 60 seconds after I’m done talking to get on the spoon.  The first one to step on gets to take a dip, the other one lives.   If neither of you are on by 60 seconds then you both go in.  Now, get ready… set… go!”  Gloria watched them get ready to fight.

Neither of them moved. 

Dave couldn’t believe what he just heard.  He turned and looked at Sam who was as pale as he was. 

Sam let out a soft laugh, “Well I guess this is it.”  He took a step closer to the spoon.

“What the fuck you think you’re doing?”

“If I don’t go then we both die, right?  Better me than you.”

“Fuck that we can find a way out of this.” 

“Like what, you heard her, we have less than 60 seconds to find a way to get away from her.”  He took another step.

Dave grabbed Sam and threw him away from the spoon. “No I can’t let you do this.”

Sam got up and tackled Dave.  He punched him in the gut making him gasp.  “Sorry, but we don’t have time for this.”  Sam quickly got on the spoon.

“NOO!”

“Just tell Jane I love her.”

“Wow, I thought you guys would fight each other to get the other on.”  She laughed, “Not keep the other away.”

“Just hurry up,” Sam said as calm as he could.  It wasn’t very calm, Dave could hear him stammer.  He only did that when he was scared.

“Ok.”  There was no compassion in that one word Gloria said.  She lifted the spoon and slowly dipped it into the still steaming bowl of oatmeal.  Dave couldn’t see what was happening but he could hear the screams of his best friend as he was dipped in the bowl and was being cooked alive.  The spoon started to be stirred around and around.  Gloria let out a giggle as she scooped up some oatmeal.  Dave could see a twitching red hand off the side of the spoon as it was lifted up and placed into Gloria’s mouth.  She quickly swallowed the spoon of hot oatmeal and let out a gasp, “That’s hot.”  There was no sign of remorse for eating someone.  She continued to eat the bowl of oatmeal until it was all gone.  She leaned back and rubbed her belly.  She let a sigh out.

“Oh I think he may still be alive."  She then leaned forward and burped in David’s face, “but not for long.”  She let out an evil laugh as she put her bowl away and picked up David who was staring out into space.

David couldn’t move he just saw the death of his best friend at the hands of a fucking kid.  Who the hell was she to do this to someone she doesn’t even know.  He didn’t even notice himself being carried to the container, or his girlfriend asking what happened.  It didn’t even register as Frank started to ask Gloria where Sam was.  Like Dave she didn’t answer.  Dave final looked up and saw your haunting eyes staring at you.  Dave didn’t know what you saw but your eyes told him, you seen it all. 

You stood up and walked over to David.  You stood over him and held out your hand to him.

“Wh-wh-what have you seen?” He asked.

You reply, “You don’t want to know.”