- Text Size +

Chapter 11

Jorien was beyond huge now. She was beyond enormous. There was no word that could describe her vastness. She was no less than 1,500,000 miles tall!
Earth was the size of a ping-pong ball to her. The "big" moon seemed no bigger than a large blue berry now, both celestial bodies floating in front of her undescribingly large face.
Jorien looked at the small Earth hovering in front of her, with its tiny clouds that were moving so slow she could barely see it. She saw little patches of brown that were the continents, white dots that were the arctic regions. Jorien smiled, her mouth being three times broader than the Earth. In an ultimate display of her might, she opened her enormous mouth and ate the Earth in one bite. She felt the planet inside her mouth, tasting the salt of the oceans' water. Then, she started to chew the planet. Her enormous teeth, each bigger than a continent, shattered the Earth with a force never seen, the poor planet was crumbled and destroyed like a dry spherical cookie.
The last thing the surviving people on Earth witnessed was suddenly being engulfed in darkness as Jorien's mouth closed around it. The air became gloomy and moist for an instant, then huge teeth destroyed everything, killing billions of people in a second.
Jorien felt the Earth's hot magma core sizzling as her saliva extinguished it. She felt marvelous! She just ate an entire planet! Swallowing the Earth, she pursed her lips and sucked the moon into her mouth.
Its dusty surface didn't taste well, but Jorien liked the idea having the moon in her mouth. She gulped, swallowing it whole. She felt the moon glide down her throat, soon to be dissolved in her stomach acids.
Jorien looked around her. The sun shone in the distance, making her eyes water. Countless stars dotted the blackness of space. Jorien pondered the thought eating the sun. She had to grow much bigger, of course, but how would it be having the sun in her mouth, doused by her saliva? She had destroyed Earth, and now...

"But what am I supposed to do after that?", Jorien suddenly thought. "I cannot do anything anymore but eat or destroy stars and planets. Nothing but blackness around me...".

Jorien felt an unpleasant pitch in her stomach. There was no Earth anymore. No more houses, woods, mountains. No television or internet. No fellow people to talk to. Nothing but her, hovering in space. She realized she was alone, and always would be from now on.

"What have I done?", Jorien thought, like someone who had been angry, doing terrible things in his or her rage, suddenly realizing the wickedness of his or her deeds.

"What am I supposed to do now? Earth is gone. I...I have destroyed it all. And what can I do now? Bore myself to death?".

She knew she had created a prison for herself, a hell, in the throes of wanting and displaying more and more of her power.

"You have destroyed the entire world. Just because you could. And you think you still can handle power?" The voice in her head was back.

"Oh, no..." Jorien moaned. "What now? I...oh shit! You...you are right. I was blinded by the power I had...I...Damn!"

Jorien was realizing with growing sadness and despair what she had done. She had been justifying to herself that she was not abusing power, but in reality, she had abused it over and over again. And she knew now that she wasn't fit to hold power. The voice had been correct. She had trampled people, killed them without mercy, perceived them as insects. She had destroyed Houston, then other cities and now the entire world. Just because she could. She was not a nice person. She was a monster!

"Now you've learned how power corrupts you. If you could turn back time, what would you do?" the voice asked.

"I...I..." Jorien didn't know what to say. She now knew that making career was not something she should do. Some women should, yes, but not it was not meant for her. She would only abuse the power and influence. And that to an extreme degree. Jorien felt sad and tears welled up in her eyes. Tears that could fill an ocean. But there was no planet left to possess that ocean. Thanks to her. Just as she began to cry, she heard a loud "SNAP!"