- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Marvin wakes up in a dark place and finds that his best friend and fellow knight, Gwen, is there with him.  Gwen then tells Marvin events from the previous night.

Legends tell of an ancient kindgom called Banthor.  Some say they sank in the ocean, as the Greek's city of Atlantis did.  Others say it never existed at all.  We are here to tell you what really happened, through the eyes of it's most devout knight...

 

Marvin awoke with blackness around him.  He quickly stood, the clanging of metal sounding as he stood up.  "Mine armor?" he spoke to himself.  Raising his arm up, the clanging of metal sounded once again.  He reached for his other hand and heard metal hitting metal, confirming his suspicions.  "Why is mine armor still on?" he questioned himself, as he slipped the two gauntlets off and dropped them.

 

With his hands free, he felt around the rest of his body.  His helmet, Sword, chainmail, and the rest of his armor was still on.  He had no idea where he was or how he got there.  Before he could ask himself that very question, he heard a voice.  "Sir Marvin, is that you?"

 

"Is that Sir Gwen?" Marvin replied, recognizing the voice of his best friend, and fellow Knight.  Marvin tried to look around for his friend, but he couldn't see him anywhere.  He couldn't see anything.  He began to walk, listening to the clanging his metal boots made as they hit the ground.  Still, he couldn't find Gwen.  "Where art thou, Sir  Gwen?"

 

"Does thou not remember?" replied the voice of Gwen, whom seemed near.  "Remember what?" replied Marvin, not understanding what was going on.  "Did something happen?"  Marvin heard a long sigh from Gwen before he got a reply from him.  "Sit down, my friend.  We hath much to discuss"  Marvin lowered his body down and felt for the ground.  Once he found it, he sat down on it and closed his eyes.  "Sir Gwen, my friend, what is going on?  Where is this?"

 

"Where this is I do not know, Marvin."  replied Gwen.  "However, how we came to this place is no mystery to me.  Prepare thine self for a tale of what hath taken place yesterday."  Marvin didn't quite understand what Gwen was trying to say, but he would sit and listen to the story his friend was about to speak.  "Go ahead, my friend"  he said, preparing for this story.

 

"Very well" replied Gwen.  "Thou must remember the meeting we both had with King Argos yesterday.  He spoke of the Oracle again.  She hath given him a prophecy about the future.  The King told us that disaster of a strange form would befall our kingdom of Banthor.  He did not trust this prophecy, and told all of us Knights to calm the citizens were they to hear of the prophecy.  He said 'There is nothing to fear.  God is with us and will never let Evil befall our kingdom.'  He was wrong."

 

"Many counts of the stars after the Sun went down did it happen.  People disappeared, right before others' eyes.  Some wicked magic was afoot within our kingdom.  Panicked citizens ran to the castle, in search of help.  You and I were deployed into the city to help calm down our people.   We, together, visited home after home, assuring the people that no evil would come for them.  We told them that God was with us, and no harm would befall them.

 

Some believed us, some didn't.  We couldn't convince them all, but we did what we could.  After hitting nearly half the homes in Banthor, something happened.  A loud sound came from the castle.  You looked back and screamed 'The castle hath been set aflame!  We must return to the King!'  I turned around for a moment and saw the flames with mine own eyes.  I was preparing to go with you when I'd heard a sound from behind me."

 

"After turning, I saw her.  A woman with hair as dark as the night itself.  Her eyes red as blood.  She wore long robes as dark as her hair and carried something strange in her hand.  Before I could speak to her, she waved her hand towards a villager.  A light so bright, it seemed to come from Heaven itself flashed around them and they were gone.  I sheathed my sword, but it was too late.  She'd looked back at me and waved her hand.  The bright light came again, this time around both me and you.  The next thing I knew, I heard your voice in this dark place."

 

Chapter End Notes:

What was this "light" from the woman?  Who is she?