- Text Size +

Amanda sat down in the hall held her knees close to her. Then she put me on her knee and asked, "So what do we do now?"


"I don't know, I guess will all that's happened we never really thought about the seriousness of the situation." I said. 


"Well when Rebecca took you I was kinda focusing on getting you back." She said.


"Thanks, and you got there at a great time." I said thinking about what Rebecca was making me do at the time.


"What do you mean?" She asked.


"Nevermind that, now isn't the time. We have to figure out what we are going to do." I said.


"You're right." She said. "Well we could ask Rebecca for help."


"Do you really think that's a good idea?" I asked.


"Yeah, she seems really nice." Amanda said.


"Maybe to you, but not to me or Sara." I said.


"I know she took you, but that was only because she thought you were homeless and wanted to take care of you." She said.


"No, that isn't what she wanted. Don't you remember that when she apoligized she said that she didn't know I belonged to to anyone." I said.


"What do you mean, she wanted you as a pet?" She asked.


"Yeah, something like that. That's what Sara is to her." I said.


"I don't think that's true. It didn't look like Sara was her pet, she ate at the table and had what we were having." Amanda said. "Pets don't usually get that type of treatment."


"That's true but maybe she treats her nice only in front of company. Like how parents won't scream at their kids out in public or in front of other people. Either way, I still don't trust her." I said. I could have told Amanda about what Rebecca tried to make me do, but I really didn't want to bring it up.

 

"Even if you don't it's really our only option, plus we don't even know if she would help us out." Amanda pointed out.

 

She was right, we didn't have anywhere to go and it would be stupid to try and look for a hotel or something with the limited money we had unless we absolutly had to. There was also the problem that Amanda was only thirteen and not many hotels back home would rent a room to a thirteen year old or even a fifteen year old for that matter. "Fine, but don't leave me alone with her alright?" I asked.

 

"Don't worry Anthony, your little sister will protect you." she said laughing and picking me back up, placing me on her shoulder.

 

"you know, most older brothers would be embarassed if their younger sister had to say that to them. Then again most younger sisters aren't your height." I said.

 

"That's true, but at least at this size I can carry you around easily."  Amanda said standing up.

 

"By the way, where did you leave our bag and the money that we had?" I asked.

 

"I left it outside buy the entrance." She said.

 

"You lust left it there? In the open?" I asked a little surpised. It wasn't like her to do something like that.

 

"No, I hid it by the stairs at the entrance." She said.

 

"Alright, can we go get it?" I asked.

 

"Lets go see Rebecca first, so if she doesn't help us we'll just take it with us on our way out." She said walking back to Rebecca's apartment.

 

As we were getting closer to her apartment I started to think about what we were doing. We were about to ask a person who we had just met today if we could stay with them. Rebecca would probably call the police or something on us and the last thing we needed was attracting attention. Before I could say anything to Amanda about it she was already knocking on Rebecca's door. The door opened and Rebecca looked a little confused to see us. "Hey there Amanda. Come on in." She said. Amanda walked in and Rebecca said, "You know when I said that you should come back sometime, I didn't really mean this soon." I could tell she wasn't really trying to be rude, but she was a little confused and we did owe some sort of explanation. 

 

"Actually we came back to ask you for a little bit of a favor." Amanda said.

 

"Ok, what is it?" She asked.

 

"Well you see, we have a bit of a problem." Amanda said nervously. I think it had just hit her how much were actually asking of Rebecca.

 

"And this problem is?" Rebecca asked.

 

"We don't really have anywhere to stay for the night...And so we were wondering, if it wasn't too much trouble, if we could stay with you for a little while?" Amanda said.

 

"Hm, how old are you?" Rebecca asked.

 

"Thirteen." Amanda said. When she did I wished that she had lied, because now Rebecca would want to know why she wasn't with her parents.

 

"And is he the only micro that you have?" Rebecca asked.

 

"Yes, and he has to be with me." Amanda said.

 

"Alright, you two can stay here." Rebecca said.

 

"Really? Thank you so much!" Amanda said as she ran up and gave Rebecca a hug. Not expecting this, I didn't hold on to her shirt so I was falling off of Amanda's shoulder. Lucky for me Amanda had long hair so I was able to hold onto that. Amanda let go of rebecca and put me safely on the ground. I saw Sara coming out of one of the rooms and coming towards us. 

 

"Well you two can stay in the gest room alright? There are sheets and pillows in there already." Rebecca said pointing to another white door.

 

"Thank you again, but can I ask you something?" Amadna asked.

 

"Sure." She said.

 

"Why did you ask me those questions before?" Amanda asked.

 

"Well, first I didn't want you bringing in a whole bunch of micros with you and and second you remind me of myself when I was a little younger." She said.

 

"How do I remind you of yourself?" Amanda asked.

 

Rebecca sat down on a chair and Amanda on the couch. She saw Sara and I on the floor by her feet so she picked up and put us on the table."Alright, I'll tell you." Rebecca said,  "My family always had money, so as a result I never really had to worry about getting my own as thay would always give me some when I asked. Since they did that I never learned how to save money or have any responsiblility. My parents started noticing this and two years ago they decided to give me a test. They gave me on thousand units and basically kicked me out. Of course I didn't know it was a test, I thought that it was for real and for the first few days I panicked and I kept calling my parents to tell them to let me live with them again but they kept telling me that if other thirteen year olds can live on their own then I could too. Eventually I gave up on waiting for my parents help and knew that I had to get a job and find a new place to live. It was true that other thirteen year old had left home before but that was still early, most kids waited until about fifteen or sixteen. Anyway, after a year of living on my own I got a call from my parents asking me to come to their home. I was reluctant to agree because as you can imagine I hated them at this point but I decided that they were my parents so I went. When I got there they explained the whole plan that they had from the start and told me that from then on I wouldn't have to worry about money again. After finding out that this was a plan I was furious with them and was going to leave right there. They tried to stop me from leaving but I didn't want to hear it from them. On the way out of their house I saw Sara standing on a table by the door. She also wanted me to stay but when I refused she asked me to take her with me, so I did."

 

"So you refused to have any financial help from your parents?" Amanda asked.

 

"Well at first I did, but then I changed my mind." She said.

 

"How come?" I asked.

 

"The whole time I was mad at my parents for abandoning me. I thought that thay really had kicked me me out at first and even when I found out they planned for it to just be a lesson I couldn't believe that they would try such harsh methods on their daughter. As it turns out though in my absense, with nothing to do, Sara would often wander the house. She would overhear my parents talking about me and how they kept saying that they may have gone too far and how they always had people watching to make sure I was alright. After hearing these things I decided to forgive my parents and accept their help. Which is why now I don't have to work." Rebecca said.

 

"Well that seems like the smarter decision." Amanda said.

 

"I may have money, but I still don't go spending it left and right." Rebecca said. "Now I know that what they did was actually pretty helpful for me. Even though I still don't talk to them too much."

 

"That was actually really interesting, but I still don't see how it relates me to you." Amanda said.

 

"During the first few days I wished that anyone would have given me help. Even with some money I still needed help. So seeing you asking me for help I had to let you stay here." Rebecca said. "Which brings up the question, how come you left home at this age?" 

 

Amanda didn't know what to say. She knew she had to lie and was generally good at it, but she was looking pretty nervious. Eventually she said, "Well actually its something I'd rather not talk about."

 

"Alright, I understand you can't talk about it now. But promise me that eventually you'll tell me?" Rebecca asked.

 

"Alright." Amanda said. 

 

Sara had been silent the entire time, and I was curioous to find out why. She seemed to have this sad expression she was trying to hide, but like Amanda, when she was upset her ears would go down a little. I wasn't sure if I should ask her anything about it so I just kept quiet. Amanda and Rebecca said goodnight to each other and Amanda picked me up and kept me in her hand. When she was walking to the room Rebecca told us to sleep in I remembered that the bag was still outside. "Amanda, we forgout about the bag." I said to her.

 

"Damn, Alright well I have to go get it, I'll leave you here." She said putting me on the ground. "Rebecca I left something outside I have to go get it, alright?" 

 

"Ok, just lock the door when you get back." Rebecca said. 

 

Amanda left ot go get the bag and left me outside of a closed door that I would never be able to open at my size. I saw Sara following Rebecca and trying to keep up with her. They went into Rebecca's bedroom and closed the door. I sat down and waited for Amanda to come back so that she would open the door for me. When Amanda did returnI asked waht took her so long and she said, "Sorry, I had to catch someone who was trying to take it."

 

"Who would want to take a bag that was that small?" I asked.

 

"Someone who was your size." She said opening the door.