- Text Size +

I was dizzy when I woke up hours later, I didn't remember what happened before I passed out. All I saw was the same look on Amanda's face that she had on when I woke up the day that I changed to half wolf. My head hurt a bit, and I put my hand on it. I expected to feel my ear, but it wasn't there. I felt my face and the muzzle that I had was gone. Looking at my hands I saw that my fur and claws were gone. At first I thought that the whole time I was part wolf was a dream and was happy that I was normal again, but then I saw the expression on Amanda's face and I knew that everything really did happen. Her surprised look was gone, and she had a fake smile on her face.

"Looks like you're back to normal." She said softly.

"I guess so." I said. I was unsure of what to say now. I was happy that I was normal, but at the same time I felt really bad that I wouldn't be like Amanda and she would be alone again.

"I'm happy for you." She said, trying to sound like she meant it. One thing I did notice though was that her ears were down. I was a terrible liar and yet when I tried to hide my feelings my ears stayed up. Maybe it was because having ears like that was new to me.

I looked back at Amanda and saw that fake smile again. She was trying really hard to hide the fact that she was unhappy about me turning back, proably because she didn't want to sound selfish but I could tell that she was. I said, "Look you don't have to pretend that you are happy for me."

"But I am." She said.

"Your ears are down and can tell from your voice that you are upset." I said.

She looked away and asked, "Did you do this for the weekend just to try and make me feel better?"

"I never tried to transform, it just happened." I said.

"So you had no control over it?" She asked sitting back down on my bed. I noticed her ears go back up as she sat down.

"I think I might, I'm not really sure." I said.

"But I thought you said it just happened, that you didn't mean to do it." She said.

"I know, and I didn't intentionlly do anything. But that night I did keep thinking to myself that I wanted to know what it was like to be like you so maybe doing that and falling asleep thinking about that caused it." I said.

"Why were you thinking about that?" She asked.

"Well you said that I didn't know what it was like to be like you and I knew you were right, but I wanted to be able to know how you felt." I said.

"Oh, ok..." She said, "Well what were thinking about last night that brought you back to normal then?"

"I was worried about going back to school." I said.

"So that's it, you can change between forms just like I can change sizes only your change takes about a day and makes you really weak." She said.

"I guess you're right but unlike your ability to grow, I don't think my thing is forced on me."  I said.

"So I guess that means you won't be changing back anytime soon..." She said, her ears went back down.

"Look Amanda-" I started but Amanda interupted me.

"I don't blame you you know. If I could change to a human I would right away." She said not even listening to me. 

I grabbed her arm and said, "Amanda listen, I didn't say that I was never going to try to change back."

"You don't want to, and you don't have to if you don't want to." She said.

"Like I said yesterday, there is a good side to being part wolf." I said.

"Then why didn't you stay like that?" She asked.


"I told you I didn't know hat anything would happen, I was just worried about school." I said.


"You could get homeschooling you know." She said.


"I don't think that would really work for me, I dont even understand how you manage to stay sane being in this house so much." I said.


"I just think of how much better it is here than outside with other people." She said.


"I know what you mean, but still I couldn't just stay in here all day." I said.


"Yesterday you were pretty happy with the idea of staying home all the time." She said.


"You're right, but I was wrong. And I know that it's easier to say now that I look normal, but it's true." I said.


"It would've been better to hear that from you yesterday, yesterday I was the one trying to get you outside." She said. I smiled when I thought about it, it was true I had a completely different view on everything yesterday. Amanda had better confidence and she was happier. She looked at me and said, "Wait, what do you mean you look normal, you are normal."
"Well I don't think that everyone can change between two forms you know." I said.


"I guess you are right." She said.


"See, you aren't alone." I said smiling at her.


"Thanks." She said.


"Oh, one more thing." I said as she walked to the edge of the night table.


"Yes?" She asked.


"You don't have to lie to me you know, and I'd prefer you didn't in situations like this alright?" I said.


"Alright." She said as she sat down on the edge.


"Wait, before you grow, you should probably know that its about time for dinner.


"Oh, ok lets go inside then." She said. "I wonder what they'll say when they see you."


"Yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to that." I said.


We got our shoes on and walked out of the shed and into the house. Our parents weren't there though. We both were a bit confused, but I found a note on the table. It said that our parents had gone out to eat and that we'd have to make our own dinner. I didn't really know how to cook anything so I asked Amanda.


"Sorry, but the only thing I know how to make is toast, and I usually burn that." She said. I looked in the pantry and saw that the only thing that looked like it was easy to cook was Ramen noodles. I got some out and opened one of them. They looked like bricks of noodles. I put the wrapper on the counter and Amanda picked it up. "We have to boil it and then put the chicken flavor in it." She said. 

"Alright, that doensn't sound too hard right?" I asked.

"Hopefully not, I'm hungry." She said. I got a pot out of the cabinet and filled it with water. I put it on the stove and turned it on. Then I sat down in a chair and waited for the water to boil. Amanda looked at the pot, got up and walked towards it. "I think you are supposed to put a cover on it so it will boil faster." She said to me. She put a cover on it an turned around to walk back to a chair. While she was walking back I noticed that her tail was lit on fire.

"Amanda your tail is on fire!" I shouted to her. She looked at it and ran to the sink to put it out. Only the tip was lit on fire so it wasn't really like you could tell that it happened after she ran it under water. "How did you not notice that?" I asked.

"Only the fur on the tip was on fire, so I couldn't feel it yet. If you hand't said anything though, I would've been in trouble." She said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well if you hadn't noticed I have fur all over me, and fur is pretty flammible." She said.

"That wouldn't be very good..." I said.

"Yeah, I know." She said. We were waiting for the water to boil and I was getting bored. Amanda looked it too so I got a deck of cards from a drawer in the kitchen.

"Wanna play a game?" I asked.

"I'm no good at card games, you know that." She said.

"It's a simple game called war." I said.

"Alright then how do you play?" She asked.

"We each get half the deck and we each put the top card of our deck down. Who ever has the higher card get's the other person's, and we continue until one of us is out of cards." I explained.

"Well what happends when we have the same card?" She asked. 

"When that happens we place three face down cars and then flip another card from the top of our deck, then whoever has the higher card gets all the face down cards and the face up ones." I said.

"Alright, that seems easy enough." she said. I gave her half the deck but before we started I checked to see it the water was boiling yet, and it wasn't. We were making two bowls of ramen so I assumed that we'd need a lot of water.

I sat back down and said, "Oh, and one more thing a two beats an Ace ok?" 

"That doesn't make sense though." She said.

"Well it keeps the ace from being an unstoppable card." I said.

"Ok, ok lets start." She said. We started playing for a while and she was actually beating me, but its not like this game took anything else but luck. Both of us here having a decent time playing and we didn't notice when the pot we put on the stove started to boil over. "Um Anthony is that supposed to happenen?" She asked.

"No, I don't think so." I said walking over to it. I took of the top and a big cloud of steam came out and the water stopped boiling over. "So now we put the noodle bricks in it right?" I asked.

"Yeah, and then we let that cook for a while." She said. I put the noodles in the pot and sat back down. At this point I only had about 15 cards left so Amanda was happy to continue the game. After she won I went to go and turn off the stove, because by now the food had to be done. I grabbed the pot by the handles and immediatly let go. "That pot is hot you know." Amanda said.

"I forgot... You put the food in bowls." I said looking at my palms.


"Oh don't be such a baby, I was on fire a second ago and barely complained." She said.


"Only your tail was." I said.


"Well it's still a part of me, isn't it?" She asked.


"Fine, I'll get it just get me the pot holders." I said.


"Alright."She said as she took them out of the drawer and handed them to me.

 

I poured the soup into two bowls and gave one to Amanda. She took it and sat down, I followed with my own bowl. When we finished we put the dishes in the sink and walked over to the couch. "Someone's gonna have to wash those dishes you know." I said.

 

"Let our parents do it when they get back, they said we were supposed to make dinner not clean it up." She said.

 

I turned on the Tv and we watched it for a while. Amanda turned and put her feet down on my lap. I looked at her and she was looking at the tv. It was obvious that she wanted me to rub her feet and I didn't mind especially since she was normal sized and it didn't tire me out like it did when she was big.  Eventually I notced that Amanda had fallen asleep and I was about to do the same. I thought that she would be fine sleeping here because she was only forced to grow once every three days as far as we knew. I also didn't want to wake her because shed probably make me carry her all the way back to the shed and I didn't feel like doing that. I leaned back and tired to fall asleep. As I was doing so I thought that I actually preferred rubbing her feet when she was big, I couldn't think of why but I fell asleep to quickly to think of it...