- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Firstly I would like to say a huge thank you to every one of the authors who has submitted stories to this site. Obviously I have not directly copied the stories, but there may be similarities between them. I decided as I'd enjoyed everyone elses work for so long, I'd contribute something!
Particular thanks to Peter for his ‘Justice chronicles’ and to several stories written by Stanley Williams, whose writing usually captures my tastes perfectly!
Unfortunately I can’t remember which other specific stories have started my creative juices flowing, so thank you everyone!

Be gentle with me as this is my first submission and I’m not a particularly creative writer!!

DISCLAIMER:
The characters and story are of course entirely fictional. No copyright infringement is intended. All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The author is in no way associated with any media franchise.

NOTE:
I've rated this story as an 'X' simply because of the graphic descriptions etc. It should not be read by anyone under-age, nor if it is illegal to read such material in your state/country.


This story is set towards the end of the 21st century in the UK. The population have become sick and tired of rising crime and over-crowded prisons and detention centres, so the government has taken some very drastic action!

A group of scientists were commissioned by the current President of the UK (the royal family ceased to exist many years ago) to invent a machine which would be capable of shrinking people.
This came about after a remark by one of the parliament members during a heated debate about the rising crime rates and the apparent lack of deterrents. The politician had told the president that he should shrink the prison population, meaning that he should somehow reduce it. President Lawson (for that was his name), instead of taking the suggestion as intended immediately thought about the prospect of literally shrinking the prison population.

Thus, after many meetings with the top government scientific advisers, it was decided that no expense should be spared on a top secret project to create the ultimate crime deterrent: The shrink machine.

Eventually, several months later, President Lawson was relaxing in his study devising how he could punish those people who broke the laws when his mobile phone rang. He flipped open the screen and saw on it the face of a very excited James Hetherington, his chief scientific adviser.
“Mr President Sir, the machine is ready!”
“The shrink machine? You’ve actually managed to create a shrink machine? Does it work? Have you tested it?” The president had a million questions and was becoming very excited.
“Sir, the answer to all of your questions is yes… Except for the testing bit. We haven’t actually tried a human yet.” Said Hetherington.
“I’ll be right over” said the President, already pressing the button on his desk for his chief aide. He flipped the videophone closed as the aide knocked and entered the office.
“Get my car ready, Johnson, I need to go to the labs.” Said the President.
The aide looked a bit confused at first because it was almost midnight, but obviously servility won over confusion and the Aide replied he would arrange things immediately.

On arrival at the lab, the staff stood up as President Johnson entered the room.
“Relax everyone!” he told them, and they all went back to their various work projects.
The chief scientist approached and stuck out his hand which the president took and shook firmly.
“You realise if this works, we will cut crime and empty the prisons in an instant? As well as winning the next election!” said the president.
“Sir, as I told you on the videophone, it hasn’t yet been tested on a human, but we’re all pretty confident it will work.” Replied Hetherington.
“Let’s see the machine then!” said the president.
“Right this way, sir. It’s a lot larger than we’d have wanted but there’s an awful lot of technology in the unit” explained the scientist.

They walked together through one set of double doors, towards another set which were being guarded by a security guard who sprang to attention at the sight of the president. The guard pressed a button on his belt and the electronic bolts of the door released.
The two men entered the brightly lit room and the scientist pointed to a booth in the corner of the room. It was similar in size and design to an early 21st century photo booth as used by people for passport and driving licence photographs.
The chief scientist explained: “We place the criminal in the front part of the booth and lock them in. The operator of the machine then runs the DNA scanner to ensure we have the correct person locked in then starts the process. It only takes a few seconds, then we open the door and retrieve the shrunken person to pass on to the justice department for them to do with whatever you decide”
The president was speechless. He walked around the machine.
“The process is reversible I assume? It would be pointless sentencing people to being shrunk for a while if we couldn’t re-enlarge them once their sentence has been served,” the President enquired, still clearly awestruck.
“It worked perfectly on all of the animals we tried” replied Hetherington “Although it still hasn’t been tested on a human.”
“Then it’s about time it was!” said the president. “Go and see if there’s a volunteer among your staff”

The chief scientist trotted off towards the main lab complex and returned a few minutes later with one of the lab assistants.
“Sir, this is Gerry. He’s volunteered to be our tester.” said the scientist.
“Excellent!” the president said as he shook Gerry’s hand.

Gerry was guided into the booth and locked into position. The chief scientist asked the president if he’d like to start the process, which a very excited President replied he would.
He walked to the rear of the booth where a video screen showed the interior of the booth where Gerry was standing looking around him.
The scientist directed the president to start the process by first placing his fingertip on the reader pad. This was to ensure the machine could not be used by any unauthorised person the scientist explained.
Then was the ‘prisoner’ DNA check, confirming the ‘prisoner’ was indeed Gerry Nunn, a 46 year old lab assistant.
Then was the shrinking process.
“Are you ready Gerry?” enquired the president over the intercom.
“I’m ready, Mr president” replied Gerry.

The president pressed the red button in the centre of the touch-screen console. He heard the machine emit a high-pitched whine as the CCTV monitor showing the inside of the booth temporarily went black.
A few seconds later, the CCTV was showing what appeared to be an empty booth.
“Where is he?” enquired the president.
“He’ll be on the floor of the booth, sir.” answered the scientist.
“Then let’s go and see!” replied the president, once again feeling more excited than he was actually letting on.

The scientist pressed the button to open the booth door, and there on the floor was a tiny lab assistant! The president almost squealed with delight!
“How do you feel, Gerry?” asked the president.
“I’m fine Mr President!” replied the tiny man, who was standing covering his private parts as he was entirely naked. His voice was slightly quieter, but the scientist explained that it was due to the process, and he was lucky to still have an audible voice.
The president leaned in closer to the tiny man and then without warning picked him up.
The tiny man screamed as he was picked up, and the president looked visibly shocked and slowly put him down again.
“I’m sorry, Gerry. I never thought. I’m just so excited about this!” said the president.
“That’s ok, sir. It’s just a bit of a shock to be picked up by someone who is a helluva lot bigger than me!” replied Gerry.
The president laughed and turned to the scientist. “Can we reverse the shrink now?”
“Yes sir”
The door to the booth was once again locked in place and this time it was the scientist who started the process, with the president watching over his shoulder.
Once again, the whining noise and black CCTV screen. A few seconds later, the scientist opened the booth door, and there was Gerry, perfectly unharmed and looking quite happy.
“Sir, if you don’t mind me saying, this machine is going to revolutionise the British justice system” said Gerry.
“It certainly is.” Said the president, who then turned to the scientist and said “Start production on about twenty of these machines. Every area in the country will have one to dispense justice… My style!”

Within six months, each major law court in the British Isles was fitted with one of these booths, and rumours were already spreading about their function, although most were completely wrong.

The president decided the time had come to address the British people and inform them of his plans…


End of chapter one.

Chapter two: The presidents plans revealed!