- Text Size +
Ray hadn't asked to be born as he was. A few years before his birth, a small number of cases of "special" children had begun to arise. Emerging a year or so after puberty, these kids had "gifts" which they would be saddled with for the rest of their lives. Most of them had some skill that would help them in their lives. One of the kids in Ray's neighborhood gained the ability to talk to animals, another to calm people just by being around them. When Ray's brother Chris developed a kind of clairvoyance, being able to see what was wrong with an object or person just with the touch of his hands, his parents began to hope that their youngest son would also have such a gift. Unfortunately, Ray was one of the unlucky ones.

Two years after his birthday, his father, who had suffered from a painful disease for the past few years, suddenly proclaimed that he felt great, just as Ray started screaming in agony and bouncing his hands off everything around him. His mother sent her seemingly miraculously cured husband out for help while she stayed to tend her son. As soon as his father was out of his sight though, Ray's pain subsided. His mom then heard painful howling from outside, and found her husband collapsed in the driveway. When Ray came out to see what was the matter, his dad jumped back up as Ray fell into another fit.

His brother Chris came home to help, and after using his power, found that Ray's skills were a terrible curse. Whenever he looked at a person, he would take any type of pain they were feeling into himself, and he had a twisted form of Chris' own touch. Whenever he touched something natural with his hands, he would begin to take on the characteristics of that object. His distraught mother, not wanting her son to suffer his whole life, snapped and tried to smother him with a pillow as he lay recovering on the bed. While her husband and other son managed to pull her off, they didn't manage it before he had absorbed some of the pillow while trying to push it away. From that day forward he would also have a pale complexion and skin that resembled soft fibers. It was decided that for the good of the family, and for Ray, that he would be sent to live at a kind of half-way house for other people whose blessings turned out to be curses.

Ray mostly kept to himself in his new home, until it was discovered that a specially made pair of sunglasses could hamper his pain-absorbing eyes, while a pair of latex gloves would protect his hands. While he still felt pain from looking at people, it was much diminished. He made one good friend there, a girl named Clarissa. she had been born with a hyper sensitive sense of touch, so strong that physical contact would cause her immense pain. She forced herself to wear the bare minimum of clothing required for society, but she avoided talking to anyone but Ray because even talking caused her great discomfort. Even with his powers diminished by his special glasses, having his eyes on her made her feel worlds better. She shared in his wish that they could find a way to use their abilities to help people somehow, but walking alone was torture for her, and once when Ray had tried to help a cancer patient by looking at him, the physical and mental pain he took in almost drove him to kill himself.

One day while they sat in a commons room relaxing, she asked him for something odd.

"Ray," she said, "could I, just once, see your eyes, without those dark glasses in the way?" Ray hesitated, not knowing how it would feel to take in her constant sense agony. But he had been looking for a way to help someone, and if he could help his best friend, even for a moment, he would.

He told her, "Ok, but I won't be able to keep this up long. Hold on." He took a deep breath, readied his body as best he could, then lifted up his shades. He felt crippling pain throughout his whole body, but felt deep satisfaction in that he saw her face light up with a gorgeous smile for the first time in years. After a few seconds however, he couldn't hold it anymore, slammed his eyes shut and started hunting for his glasses. He heard Clarissa yelp in pain, so he quickly put them on and looked back at her, at which point she visibly relaxed again.

"So that's how normal people feel all the time, huh?" She said wistfully. Ray felt terrible inside realizing he'd just given her a taste of a normal life that she couldn't have. He didn't notice the desperate glint in her eyes as an idea started to form.

---------------------------------

A couple weeks later, Ray got a phone call from Clarissa, asking him to come down to her room. She used to call him down regularly, but lately had been becoming more reserved, locking her door constantly. He was hoping that she was finally coming out of the fog that her moment of painlessness had brought her. He knocked on the door and heard her tell him to come in. As he opened the door and walked in though, Ray didn't see her anywhere. He started to look around, but felt a sharp pain on the back of his head, and fell into unconciousness.

Ray shook his head and tried to push himself off the floor, but found himself restrained. He didn't panic, until he felt cool air on his bare hands. "Bare hands!?" He thought, turning his head to find where his gloves had fallen off. But something was odd, besides the obvious. Both his hands were tied to plastic blocks so they were off the wooden floor. He looked down towards his feet and saw Clarissa sitting in a chair, with a look on her face that combined sadness, desperation, and a trace of vindictiveness.

"Welcome back to the land of the living Ray," she said with a tone of voice that matched her expression.

"Clarissa! Hurry up, somebody knocked me out and tied me to the floor, you've got to get me out of here!" he yelled. He was relieved as she walked towards him, but all she did was bend down and take off his glasses. He screamed in agony as he caught an unshielded glimpse of her beautiful face before he slammed his eyes shut.

"Oh no, that won't do at all," she said. Ray squinted his eyes and barely saw her coming towards him with a tube of something in her hands. He felt something wet on his eyelids, and couldn't help but open his eyes. He saw her again, but now he couldn't close his eyes! "That's better, that super glue will make sure you keep those wonderful eyes of yours open," she said snidefully.

Ray pleaded her "Why Clarissa! You're my best friend! Why are you doing this to me?"

She looked sad again and shook her head. "I'm almost sorry Ray, but this is the least of what I'll be doing to you. The short explanation is that I'm tired. I'm tired of the pain, I'm tired of being cooped in this building because the wind hurts, and even though we were friends, I'm tired that all you have to do is put on a pair of gloves and sunglasses and then you can mix in normal society. So now, I'm going to have my turn."

Ray looked at her as if she was crazy. "How does tying me to your floor and glueing my eyes open help you with that? You going to drag me around like this?"

She actually smirked. "No, that would be a little awkward don't you think? I did a little 'favor' for your brother and learned the whole extent of your powers. It was painful, but worth it. Did you know if you touch something with your hands, you not only take on the properties of the object, but the shape and form? Or that if you take too much of an object in, that that will be your new form, your body gone forever? Or better yet, that you'll keep your powers and conciousness no matter what form your in?"

"What does that have to do with anything? So I have one more reason not to touch anything, what's the big deal?" he said, risking another glance at her as she visibly perked up for a second from the pain relief while picking something up off the floor.

"What it means is, I'm finally going to have a normal life. You think you were helping me by telling me about things you saw outside, or relieving my agony minutely through those damned shades of yours, but all you did was remind me of what I could never have. Or at least what I could never have without your help." He glimpsed her again and saw an evil, angry look on her face. Whatever she got off the floor was behind her back now. "This is what's going to happen, old friend. I'm going to sit here by your right hand. I'm going to tape something to your hand so that you can't get it off, and you won't be able to see what it is without looking at me." Her voice had more confidence in it than he had ever heard before.

Ray felt her soft hands pushinging something into his palm, and the tape (plastic tape of course) sticking it to his hand as he felt his body changing against his will, seeming to shrink the longer he held whatever was now in his palm.

"I'll scream for help, tell everyone what you did, unless you let me up right now Clarissa. I'm serious" His tongue felt odd, softer almost, yet firm, and it seemed to be changing too.

"Of course you'll scream for help. And everybody nearby will hear you. Or they would if they hadn't soundproofed my room. My neighbors didn't appreciate being woke up everynight when I would roll over or cough. So the only person who'll hear you howling are you and me," She stated, then added with a spiteful tone, "and trust me, I've had YEARS to get used to it."

He tried to say something back to her, to beg, plead, anyhing, but couldn't get any words past his tongue. He tried to wiggle his toes, but nothing below his neck was responding anymore. He tried to turn to look at her, to beg with his eyes, but it was like the back of his head was flat and he lacked the muscles to move it.

"I think you've changed enough that we don't need this anymore," he heard Clarissa say as he felt the tape being removed from his hands. "I'll be back in a little while to make sure the change is gonna stick. Then we can both start getting used to our new lives." Ray kept trying to scream for help, but it was no use. He heard the door open and shut as he lay helpless on the ground. That's when the change started to hurt. It felt like his body was folding in half backwards, then it did it again, and again, over and over. Then he felt an immense pressure from all sides. Never, in all the times he had taken someones pain into himself, had he felt anything like this.

When it was over, the pain subsided and he took a deep breath, or at least tried. He didn't seem to breath as he once did, probably because his lungs were flat now. He tried to shut his eyes to the world, to not face reality, but apparently her glue had stuck through the transformation. He heard the door open and shut again, and then Clarissa's face appeared above him. His body was wracked with pain again, but this time he had no muscles to help brace for the feeling. He couldn't scream to express his agony. He couldn't move in the slightest. She smirked down at him.

"Perfect," she gloated, "You probably don't believe me, but I AM sorry I had to do this, but I just couldn't live like that anymore. And you were always looking for a way to use your powers to help someone without destroying yourself in the process. I'm pretty sure you couldn't destroy a flea anymore."

Ray glared up at her. He mentally threw her betrayal of their friendship in her face, but it was useless. Whatever she did this for, she had him where she wanted him apparently. Then he started to wonder. What did she do this for? She appeared back in his vision, bringing on fresh torments to his tortured body, holding something behind her back

"You've probably got a few questions. I'd ask you what they were, but I think we both know that's pretty useless at this point. So I'll just let you wait and see." Ray felt her fingers grasp him at the top of his head. He felt a finger brush his hands, but when his body was folded they were trapped in the middle of his now inanimate body. Just then something came into view.

Ray heard Clarissa's voice behind him. "Take a good look at your new home. You'll never be leaving it again unless I need you for something special," She said. In front of Ray's ever-open eyes, lay a brand new pair of tennis shoes. He looked at them curiously, glad to have a break from looking at her. What did she mean his new home? Then he noticed that the inside of the right shoe was missing it's insole. His mind actually froze at the thought.

"I had one of the guys down the hall work these over for me," Clarissa explained turning his eyes back to her. "He has some ability that increases the durability of anything he touches. If he touches anything living, it's veins and muscles will stiffen until it can't function anymore, but a nice inanimate shoe can be made to last hundreds of years. Even the insoles." Ray's mind again froze and he even forgot about the stinging pain as he contemplated that. "I think it's about time we got you moved into your new home, and I got to take my first trip outside like a normal person."

Ray's body turned, and he entered someplace very dark. He was in the shoe now, his eyes looking out from the heel. Clarissa looked down at him with a content, cruel look on her face. "One second honey, I have to test something." With that, he saw her sock covered foot appear over his face. However he felt no pain whatsoever. Her foot wiggled for a second, then withdrew. "That's what I figured," she mused, "You can't see my foot through the sock, so you don't take the pain from me. Sucks to be you I guess, I'll have to wear you barefoot." If Ray's eyes could have opened wider, they would have. The next thing he saw was her bare foot above him, and the usual pain came back. "Ah, perfect. What do you say we go for a walk huh?"

Clarissa's wiggling toes approached Ray's face. Before they were even close, he could smell their musky odor. It was incredibly pungent. "Oh, I didn't think about that. It's hard to get a good bath in when the soap feels like it's tearing your skin off. I don't envy you my old friend," she said with a sinister grin on her face. With that, she pushed her foot all the way onto his face. He felt the rough skin of her sole ripping across his face, adding fresh agony to what he was getting from her. Even though it was pitch black, his damnable eyes still sucked all the pain from her and injected it into him. Then she stood up and started walking. He reached levels of pain unimaginable by a normal human mind as smiled, completely content for the first time in years, and whistled her way out the door.

----------------------------------

Clarissa walked for a long time. It was hot out and she was soon sweating heavily. She was wearing heavy cloths despite the heat, just because for the first time since she was a teenager, she COULD wear heavy clothing. Ray couldn't imagine anything feeling worse than what he was now feeling. He didn't need to breath, but his new insole body constantly circulated the air inside the shoe through his body with every step. His tongue was outside his mouth and directly below her toes, constantly subjected to the taste of the stale sweat and who knew what else draining off her foot. After a couple hours, the raunchy foot in front of him was removed, and Clarissa's smiling face was once again before him.

"You have no idea how that felt," she enthused with a dreamy look on her face. "To live that long with that pain, only to finally walk free. And for that, I have a reward for you." Her fingers dug into the shoe and pulled him out. She carried him somewhere, his eyes pressed to her chest. "Remember how I told you that you would only leave the shoe when I needed somethin special? Well here you go." Ray found himself in her bathroom. She propped him up on something facing towards the bathtub.

Clarissa grinned evilly at him. "I bet you never got to make it with a woman did you? Of course you didn't, it would be kind of hard with those gloves and glasses on. So here is your reward." She stripped before him, and Ray felt himself longing for her. He'd never thought of it before because he figured that he would never be free from his curse, but looking at Clarissa's thin, naked body, he could think of nothing but sex. Sex he could never have now. It hurt, possibly more than he had felt before.

She looked at him evilly, almost as if she could read his thoughts. "For being such a good slave to me, making me feel so good, you get to watch while I take a bath. You'll get to watch everytime, and know that you're seeing something you'll probably never have. Just like I had to watch you going outside thinking it was something I would never have. Enjoy the view."

As Ray watched her naked body slowly submerge itself into the water, purposefully teasing him, he would have given everything he had to get in with her. He would willingly submit himself to his new life simply to be with her, or any woman, just once. But that was impossible now. He was just an object, to be crushed and tortured beneath her reeking feet. To passively view her life with no interaction with another person ever again. To live a life of torture and pain so that she wouldn't have to.



Jango Feet