- Text Size +
Elizabeth let Darius remain on her desk for the day as she went about with her other duties. He grew bored quickly as paced around on the old wooden desktop. Elizabeth returned a few hours later with some food and water and quickly disappeared again. He would wait around for another couple of hours, watching as the sun moved across the blue skies and started to dip below the bare trees.

The door suddenly creaked open, Darius turned to see a younger looking face peer inside. He quickly ducked behind a box that stood near the edge of the desk. He listened as the door shut quietly. Light footsteps entered deeper in the room.

"Hello?" Her soft voice called out, "Darius?" He was a little startled at this. He peeked around the corner to see the girl standing in the middle of the room looking around, presumably for him, "Elizabeth told me you were in here" She wore the same style of clothes that Elizabeth had worn, he thought she might be the same girl that brought the platter of food into Sarahs room.

Darius stepped out from behind the box, still a little wary of the girl. Judging by her features she was probably anywhere from sixteen to eighteen years old. Her eyes scanned the room before finally falling on the desk. She gasped a little as she walked over. She sat down slowly without a word.

"Hello?" He finally said.

"Oh, hi, I am Wendy" She shifted awkwardly in her chair as they sat through another awkward silence, She finally leaned forward, "So is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"That you're not actually a fairy?"

Darius laughed, wondering how it would be harder to believe that he wasn't a fairy like Sarah thought, "Yeah"

"So...you really did come here to" She hushed her voice, "Kill the king?"

"I am starting to worry exactly how many people are going to learn my plans" Darius said with a sigh.

"Only me and Elizabeth, we share everything together"

"I see"

"And Sarah too" She smiled a little, "So is what...um...you and Sarah did?"

"We did?"

"Her wish!" She whispered excitedly.

"Elizabeth said she didn't say"

"Oh yeah well Sarah would never tell Elizabeth that! She would never approve!" She giggled.

"I suppose"

She bit her lip, "So if you're not a fairy then why did you do it?"

"I didn't want to drop my cover"

She frowned, "Is that all?"

Darius sighed, "Well of course she is a very beautiful girl but-"

"Can we do it?" She asked in an even more excited whisper.

"Wendy I-" He ran his hand down his face, "I was going to say-"

"Am I not...beautiful enough?" Her excited grin disappearing.

"Why must I be so irresistible at this size" Darius thought to himself, "It's that...well, how old are you?"

"I am sixteen"

"See, it would be wrong, Wendy, it was wrong with Sarah but-"

"So it is my looks"

"No, you are a very pretty girl, but a young girl" She didn't seem to comprehend, "I felt as though Sarah was too young but at least she was still a woman, and really men have married with similar gaps in age but you are much too young. Why would you want to do that anyway? I mean clearly you had intentions before you even met me?"

"B-Because you are a hero!"

"Wendy, I assure you I am far from that"

"But your father..."

"If my father saw me now he would be deeply ashamed. I have stolen and I have killed"

"But you have stolen from the rich! And I am sure you have never killed an innocent man!"

"How can you be so sure?"

"Well you were training to become a Knight? That is what Elizabeth told me!"

"That means nothing, you should not hold me in such high esteem"

"Well...At least let me help"

"Help me in my mission?" She nodded, "That's probably not a good idea, for your own well being I should do this alone"

"But I want to help!"

"You do understand that this is still resulting in the death of a person? Regardless of how corrupt"

"I'm not an idiot" She retorted, rather annoyed, "I am like you, he has taken..." She trailed off, a slight shimmer glazing over her eyes.

"I see" Darius sighed, "It appears everyone knows loss at his hand"

She leaned forward, "And we will be the ones to finally step up and fight him"

"Well I would prefer that I do the fighting, but if you could get me into the same room-"

"I can do better!"

"Oh?"

She nodded a grin crossing her lips, "He has chosen me as one of the girls that brings him his meals. I have often fantasized that I might be the one to slip him some poison, but I wouldn't know how to get it" The confidence and cruelty in her voice were rather shocking to Darius, it sounded as though her hatred has only fumed over the years much like his own.

"Just get me onto the table" He said with a grin.

They jumped as the door opened, both sighing to see that it was only Elizabeth.

"There you are Wendy! I see you are pestering our little guest?"

"I'm not pestering!" She whined, shooting Darius a quick grin.

They talked as a group for a little while. And then, much to Elizabeths disapproval, Wendy took Darius back to her room. Darius wasn't all that thrilled either, he had talked her down the first time but she remained rather flirty throughout the night.

~~~~

The night passed uneventfully, to his relief. The next morning he found himself bored once again sitting on a giant wooden mountain. He spent his time running through the old sword exercises that he hadn't done in years, it got him back into the killing mindset. He carved his name into the wood, tiny enough that you would need a very powerful spectacle to notice.

He watched Wendy reenter the room, happily walking over towards him, "Hello!" She whispered, as always careful to not let her voice be heard from beyond her door.

"So he returns tomorrow?" Darius said, trying to keep his mind on the business at hand.

She nodded, "They have already given me the directions to prepare his lunch for tomorrow, he will be hosting one guest so that is all we will have to be careful of"

"Right so you just take me there, put me on that table and I will do the rest. Don't do anything out of the norm, and if I may be honest you should probably make some plans to get out of here"

"What? Why?"

"They will know his death will be by poison, the one I have picked is extremely fast acting, and very unique in the way it kills. Whether they can find evidence or not they will be looking to punish all those who are suspects"

"I see"

"Look you can still back out"

"No" She said confidently.

"You are being very brave then" Darius said, placing his hand down on one of her large fingers, he still worried about the aftermath of his actions but could hope that they would be better than the status quo.

Wendy smiled, catching him off guard as her hand suddenly twisted towards him, sweeping him into her palm. He attempted to protest as she brought him to her lips, pressing them against him as she hummed softly. Darius pushed against them, feeling her tongue slip out slightly, "Wendy, we went over this" He managed to say as her tongue prodded him.

She pulled away, blushing, "I'm sorry..." She had trouble meeting his gaze, "I was just, I-I'm sorry" She set him back down on the table. Darius eyed her, though felt a little bad to shoot her down again like that.

"Look, I am sure if you go out by the barracks there will be plenty of young heros in training for you to meet"

She nodded, "I know, its just" She sighed, "Forget it"

~~~

Morning came, Darius hadn't slept. He watched as Wendy rose from her own rest, smiling at him weakly as she stood.

"Did you sleep well?"

"No" She mumbled.

"Are you nervous?" She nodded, "Good, it will keep your mind sharp. As long as you act as though everything is going normally"

"Right" She said taking a deep breath.

"So I was thinking I will remain here until lunch-"

"I think I should take you with me today, incase you know something happens and I can't get back here in time"

"You know, you're right. Yes lets do tha-" He was cut off as she plucked him from the table.

~~~

"Wendy..." Darius sighed, sitting in his new seat. She had nestled him in her cleavage.

"This is the safest place, my uniform comes with no pockets"

Darius shook his head, "Fine, but you know my stance"

"I know" She responded softly before pulling her large white shirt over her head.

Darius rose and fell slightly with each step, he couldn't help but enjoy it a little bit. He tried to close his eyes to pass the long hours as she went about her other chores.

"Did you release him as I ordered?" He heard Elizabeth whisper.

"Yes ma'am" She responded, he could feel little vibrations in her chest as she talked.

"Good, it would be wise to forget about him. I don't know what he will do but we will have no part of that"

"I know"

"You shouldn't chase men like that, it will only hurt you in the end"

"I know..."

~~~~

The moment finally came.

"Alright" He heard her whisper, He felt her hand reach down inside her collar to retrive him. He looked around, seeing that they were inside of a massive kitchen, "What do we do?" The nervousness was pretty clear in her voice.

"First, deep breaths, relax pretend you don't even know that I exist. That will be your excuse if you are questioned, I acted completely on my own"

She nodded, following his advice and started to take deep breaths.

"Next, I will hide in these for now" He said pointing over to a platter covered in mixed fruits. She helped him up onto the platter, looking around, "Third, forget my face, forget my name. This will likely be my end"

"No-"

"Listen, I am trapped in this tiny body, I am not sure that I will make it out this time, nor do I know what I will do"

"Escape with me"

"Wendy, you know that is something I cannot do. You need to forget that I ever existed, Elizabeth was right, I only hurt the ones around me. That is my fate and I have chosen it"

She nodded reluctantly, watching as he slipped between some grapes on the platter. He sighed, sitting down, hand gently rubbing the pouch on his side. A few minutes later he heard a massive door creak open and slam shut.

"Ah! Here is our lunch" A booming voice echoed through the room. Darius nearly growled as the words flowed into his ears, he hoped that he would get to witness the terrible death himself.

He felt as the platter set down on the table.

"Thank you, my dear" His voice said.

"Yes my king"

Darius hoped that she was acting as calm as she spoke, though he couldn't even imagine keeping a blank face while serving a man that had killed your family, as it was the case for Wendy.

"Some privacy please?"

"Yes my king"

Darius peered from behind the grapes, eyeing the king who sat back in his chair, his arm reached over head as he grabbed some of the fruit. A large cup sat by his other hand, he sipped from it between bites. That is where the poison would go.

"The sample that you had shown our queen was more than intriguing" He spoke to the other figure at the other side of the table.

Darius slowly crept out from his hiding.

"Thank you" The voice called.

Darius froze, that voice. He turned, eyes widening. The figure on the other side of the table...was Brooke.