- Text Size +
Darius clung to the wall, fearful that a powerful updraft might send him plummeting down to the ground below. A massive shadow fell over the wall as large dark clouds started to blot out the moon. He went window to window, slowly making his way around the first corner. Every window he came to was sealed shut.

He continued walking stopping suddenly as a little wet circle suddenly splashed in front of him. He was a bit startled, though the reality of his situation did not hit him until he looked up and saw silver lines start to streak through the air. "Oh not rain!" He muttered quickening his pace, a new sense of urgency in his step as he searched for a way inside. He tried to duck the massive balls of water but soon he was overtaken by the wet splashes. Each droplet sent him to his stomach on the rough stone. His body ached with cold and fatigue, his lungs burned. He gasped as yet another pool of water formed before him, soon a shallow layer of water flowed over the lip, putting a painful strain on his legs as he pushed through it.

Hours passed, he hardly even noticed as the over-casted sky grew lighter in the early hours of the morning. He had finally succumbed to fatigue and laid motionless on the stone outcropping. The rain finally let up, he was a little startled when a beam of sunlight suddenly shone down upon him. He lowered his head, shivering in the cold morning, beads of water formed around him, a truly bizarre sight for someone who was used to droplets of water being tiny dots. He eyed the droplets curiously, poking his fingers into them and watching tiny little particles swirl within. His head fell back onto his folded arms, realizing now how hopeless he was at this size. A mere rainstorm had put him on the brink of death.

~~

Darius stared into the crackling flames of the campfire, they had fallen silent for quite some time as he pondered what his father had said.

"You are becoming a man now Darius" His father said, finally breaking the silence, "So I will speak to you as one" Darius nodded, "I know you have been following in my footsteps for quite some time now, the barracks has reported that you hare excelling faster than anyone in your class"

"I try my hardest"

"But, I would sooner have my son a thief than to serve as a knight under this soon to be King"

"But would no one overthrow him?"

His father shook his head, "No, most are too fearful, or blinded by duty to ever go against the word of the standing king"

"What will you do?"

"I will stand for what is right" His father said rather grimly.

~~~

Darius suddenly jumped as he heard a massive creak. He looked to his left and saw a palm pressed against the tall glass pane. The window opened, giant metal frame swinging over head. He recognized the person who had opened it, it was the old maid from Sarah's room.

Elizabeth gasped, old eyes falling on the figure sprawled on the stone outcropping.

"Why does this keep happening" Darius groaned as he strained to get to his feet. He watched her cautiously, he recognized her even from before briefly seeing her in Sarah's room.

"So you are the fairy?" Elizabeth said with a wrinkled grin, her face and slightly rounded figure made her the epitome of a nice old lady. She laid her hand down next to him, smiling gently. He sat down her her soft hand nervously, he hadn't the energy to run anymore.

"She told you huh?" He said once she carried him inside her modest room, much smaller and more bare than Sarah's. She set him down on a table and took a seat next to him.

"Yes she did, and she also told me you granted her a wish. She refused to tell me what it was though" She said, almost as if she knew anyway.

"I see"

"She also told me that she carried you to the window, so I am not surprised to see you here" She laughed softly, "Oh my you must be dreadfully cold after being outside last night" She walked into a closet and reemerged with a small square towel. She offered it to Darius.

"Thank you" He said wrapping the massive piece of cloth around him.

"She was under the impression that you would fly away on some invisible bird, but we both know she is just a bit naive" She grinned, "I know who you are"

Darius suddenly remembered her face, the second attempt! She was there, he had stumbled upon her as he snuck through the halls, it was her scream that alerted the guards and forced him to flee, "I see" He said nervously.

"Don't worry, I will not give you to the guards. However I am a bit curious as to how you have gotten as such? The help of a sorcerer I imagine?"

"You could say that"

"And why are you sneaking about the castle as of late? Any particular treasures? Secret documents"

"Nothing all too particular" He commented, not seeing much of a point to make up a new story.

"Well I am sorry that I gave you away on your last attempt, surely you were the same ghost that fled the castle not three months earlier?"

"Well I am sorry I frightened you"

"It's forgiven. So, and sorry if I am prying, but what was your plan? Do you have some sort of potion to return you to normal so you can make yet another daring get away? Of course you will have some treasure in hand this time"

"I wish" Darius sighed, he went on to explain his predicament starting from when he left Rodricks shop.

"Do you think there is anyone that could repair your trinket?"

"No"

"Hm, well I'm sorry to hear that" She stared at him for a moment,"Perhaps my old eyes are fooling me but, you look oddly familiar, like someone who has walked these halls before?"

"Maybe you knew my father"

"Your father?"

"He used to be a knight, for the kings father. His name was Marcus"

"Marcus" She said as if reflecting, "That would make you Darius?"

Darius perked up, "You know my name?"

"Your father was a hero, of course I know of his son. But you both disappeared years ago"

"He was hung"

Her eyes widened, "No" She gasped in disbelief.

"He refused to follow orders. The new king had ordered them to seize all of the animals from one of the local farmers, they would have never lasted the winter without them. When the king heard of it he accused my father of treason"

"I never knew" She said in a whisper, "And you went into hiding afterward?"

Darius nodded, "My father once told me that he would rather me be a thief than a knight for King Jared, though I don't think he meant it so literally"

"You are not here to steal, are you?" She asked after a few long minutes of silence.

Darius shifted nervously under the question, "No" He finally said.

"You are here to kill the king, aren't you?" She pressed, He nodded slowly.

"I cannot blame you, and there are days where I wish I would live long enough to see his reign end, he has destroyed so much. But I fear that the fall of the king will only make way for his newest Queen" She sighed, "Sarah's mother was so kind, it was a horrid thing what Jared did to her. But he has finally found a women who is more agreeable to his ideals" She looked down at him sternly for a moment, "The death of Jared may avenge your father but it will not save the kingdom, though I wonder which cause you care for most?"

Darius sighed, lowering his head.

"The king will return in two days, I suggest you think about what you will do next, I can release you once he is here and you may do what you wish, I will take no other part in his falling" She looked towards the door briefly as heavy feet walked in the hall outside. "This is a dangerous time for those of us who do not look upon the king fondly"

Darius nodded, though could not believe that the king was not even inside the castle! He has been acting too impatiently, and it has only gotten him in trouble. He was grateful that Elizabeth was at least partially supportive of his cause.

"Perhaps it's best if the princess does not know I am still here"

"I agree, it was foolish of you to lead her on like that. But at least she seemed happy, lets keep it that way. If she knew that her fairy prince was really an assassin it might break her heart. She is a good girl, it saddens me to know that she has little hope of ever gaining control of the kingdom"